Things That Freak Introverts Out | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Things That Freak Introverts Out

There is barely anything worse.... except maybe having one's pants unzipped in public....

– Go to a party where I don't know anyone, even the host.
– Host, "Please have a beer!" (I don't drink beer - awkward exchange of me saying no thank you while he 'insists'.)
– Host, "Well, you need to try my delicious ((meat food))." ((Proud of his food.))
– Me, "I'm a ....ve...gan......"

Ugh!!!!
It is the worst. As if meeting new people isn't awkward enough, I then semi-insult him by refusing to eat his food. :(

When your in a formal group of people and you have to go round the room and say your name, or something about yourself, and you can hardly speak and then can't remember anyone else's name for the rest of the day.

Also casual chat

This is such an entertaining topic...I've already seen these come up, but then it's not surprising.

Last edited:
This reminds me... I had an experience with 'going around the room.' (No I'm not promiscuous) we were supposed to introduce and tell one thing we liked and one thing we didn't like about ourselves. Nervous as hell, and with false confidence I said I hated how I let my finger and toenails grow uncomfortably long until I finally decide I'm going to trim them, then I decide to put it off for one more day, go lay on the couch to pick my nose, slice the inside of my nose and lay there hating myself as I'm bleeding until I pass out. Then followed that with, I love myself, I'm perfect in every way. Some people stared, some laughed, the facilitator just said, "OK" and moved on like it was nothing.
That's one way to break the ice.

Omg, such a good one! :)

At job interview,
Interviewer: So, tell me about yourself.
Me: Uh, umm, I'm an introvert??? :oops:
Absolutely, I think I've actually developed a phobia for interviews.

The photo thing too. I find it excruciating, really excruciating. Glad to see that this is fairly normal.

Last edited:
I don't think an interview is fair. I mean, do your job and see why you really would do well hiring me.

I just feel really fake on an interview...going on about how great I am. This as well as anxiety to come across well, has caused numerous frustrations in the work sphere. Not to mention difficulties getting out of dead-end jobs.

Last edited:
Walking out the door to get your mail and your neighbor showing up out of nowhere wanting to have a full fledge conversation about nothing. No amount of glancing back at your front door or attempts to end the conversation will make them let you go.

Just let me get my f'ing mail for crying out loud. I did not come out here for social hour.

Wearing tight clothes, or scratchy comfortable material.
maybe that's just me.

When the lecturer says "raise your hand if you....."
And then chooses you to come up to the microphone at the front of the room to tell the lecture room of ten thousand eyes to talk about the theory behind it.
And you are walking up tot the microphone because you were too afraid to say you know nothing about it.

Reactions: Siimplicity
When the lecturer says "raise your hand if you....."
And then chooses you to come up to the microphone at the front of the room to tell the lecture room of ten thousand eyes to talk about the theory behind it.
And you are walking up tot the microphone because you were too afraid to say you know nothing about it.
Yes. Classic anxiety dream!

There is barely anything worse.... except maybe having one's pants unzipped in public....

– Go to a party where I don't know anyone, even the host.
– Host, "Please have a beer!" (I don't drink beer - awkward exchange of me saying no thank you while he 'insists'.)
– Host, "Well, you need to try my delicious ((meat food))." ((Proud of his food.))
– Me, "I'm a ....ve...gan......"

Ugh!!!!
It is the worst. As if meeting new people isn't awkward enough, I then semi-insult him by refusing to eat his food. :(
To bad. This is what copious amounts of alcohol can solve. Enough of it and people may mistake you for an extrovert.

As a note for thoss who wish go appear to be more extroverted. Several years back I recognized ...before I knew what and introvert really was (for a while I only ever heard it mentioned in a negative way) I recognized that my aversion to people I did not know was getting in the way of me doing things well. Like interviews etc. So I decided to face exactly what I normally would not. I got myself a nice leather jacket and started visiting bars mostly by myself.
I can tell you that today I have little issue with crowds of people. Though over time they can still wear me out if they insist on talking to me.
Just a thought.

@Eventhorizon - Agree. I'm actually good with people. I don't use my introversion as a crutch to avoid life and its responsibilities and I enjoy mastering skills, especially ones that I'm not naturally good at. Socializing and interacting with people just zaps me of energy very fast and even if I act like it's fun for me, it's painful. It is not an excuse to be rude, or poor at my job (if I'm working with the public, or in a group), though.