The vibes in the room | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The vibes in the room

There are some strange, strange things afoot with this

I don't know what it is. I want to believe we subconsciously pick up body language in others and this causes a change in state in us but I have seen and done some things which suggest that this isn't the case.

There is a mirroring technique I sometimes use to practice rapport building skills. I can get someone to copy my body language without them realising it (sometimes. I'm hardly an expert at this)

The scariest example of this is when I was doing it to a guy in the town centre who was walking way in front of me. When The rapport kicks in you feel a warm fuzzy feeling in your chest and suddenly it's like you don't have to try to match their body language. you are in synch. Often the person will look at you and smile as if they know you when this happens. As soon as I felt the warm fuzzy feeling the guy, who was walking 100 or so yards in front of me with several people in between, turned and looked directly at me and gave me a great big smile and noddded his head at me.

Explain that with body language

I have walked into a room and felt a weird oppressing vibe which caused me to physically shudder. I asked those present what was wrong and looked around the room. the women who sits at a desk that you can't see when entering the room unless you turn around looked up at me and she had the biggest black rings around her eyes I've seen short of a black eye. She looked like she had been crying her eyes out and looked so ill that I couldn't believe she was even at work.

It is possible that her state was "bouncing off" others in the room and I was picking it up from them but i'm not sure. It was a tangible pressure. I get things like this often
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/health/12mimic.html @Poetic Justice

....Most people are also strongly sensitive to rapport, to charm, to the social music in the person making the pitch. In recent years, researchers have begun to decode the unspoken, subtle elements that come into play when people click.
They have found that immediate social bonding between strangers is highly dependent on mimicry, a synchronized and usually unconscious give and take of words and gestures that creates a current of good will between two people.
By understanding exactly how this process works, researchers say, people can better catch themselves when falling for an artful pitch, and even sharpen their own social skills in ways they may not have tried before.
“Really good salespeople, and for that matter good con artists, have known about these skills and used them forever,” Jeremy Bailenson, a psychologist at Stanford, said. “All we’re doing now is measuring and describing more precisely what it is they’re doing, whether consciously or not.”
Imitation is one of the most common and recognizable behaviors in the animal kingdom. Just as baby chimps learn to climb by aping their elders, so infants pick up words and gestures by copying parents. They sense and mimic peers’ behavior from early on, too, looking up at the ceiling if others around them do so or mirroring others’ cringes of fear and anxiety.
Such behavioral contagion probably evolved early for survival, some scientists argue. It is what scatters a flock well before most members see a lunging predator.
Yet by drawing on apparently similar skills, even in seemingly trivial ways, people can prompt almost instantaneous cooperation from complete strangers....
....One reason subtle mimicry is so instantly beguiling may be that it draws on and, perhaps, activates brain circuits involved in feelings of empathy.
In several studies, Jean Decety, a neuroscientist at the University of Chicago, has shown that some of the same brain regions that are active when a person feels pain also flare up when that person imagines someone else like a loved one feeling the same sting or ache.
A similar process almost certainly occurs when a person takes pleasure in the good fortune of a friend or the apparent enjoyment of a conversation partner, Dr. Decety said.
“When you’re being mimicked in a good way, it communicates a kind of pleasure, a social high you’re getting from the other person, and I suspect it activates the areas of the brain involved in sensing reward,” he said.
(Click link for whole article.)

Reactions: Gaze
Edit: apparently some people on this forum are intimidated by me. This is in part due to my avatar and abrupt and to the point writing style.

I'm really a big softy who just wants to be hugged

*glares*

I'm not intimidated by you. :p

And I do get vibes that others don't. So there.

You are picturing the person in your head and reading the body language of your imagined poster and/or hearing the the voice in your head and getting the vibe from the voice tone, tempo etc you imagine them speaking in. Peoples choice of avatar, their writing style, your beliefs about the persons personality and probably a few other things all contribute to your "hallucination"

Again, this is unavoidable. We all do it.

Consider this before posting that angry reply ;)

Edit: apparently some people on this forum are intimidated by me. This is in part due to my avatar and abrupt and to the point writing style.

*glares*

Thats why I picked my avatar, but for the oppostite effect. Watch that once I change my avatar I will get banned asap.

You are picturing the person in your head and reading the body language of your imagined poster and/or hearing the the voice in your head and getting the vibe from the voice tone, tempo etc you imagine them speaking in. Peoples choice of avatar, their writing style, your beliefs about the persons personality and probably a few other things all contribute to your "hallucination"

Again, this is unavoidable. We all do it.

Consider this before posting that angry reply ;)

*glares*

your avatar looks cute but your picture looks scary :)

Thats why I picked my avatar, but for the oppostite effect. Watch that once I change my avatar I will get banned asap.

Nah. Despite your avatar...I still got the vibe that you are a pita.

LOL! Love you corndog!! (hugs!)

Reactions: acd
I'm learning some interesting things from the comments and articles posted here which is helping me to make better sense of this. thx

Reactions: acd