The vibes in the room | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The vibes in the room

I REALLY pull back into myself when this happens.

I have to remind myself that I am an individual among billions (I think) of people. A lot of time spent in my head in public situations is just me mentally tapping myself and reminding myself to chill out.

Admission: Sometimes when I come out of a very stimulating scenario, I cry, like snot and tears everywhere. It's because I am picking up on so much; compartmentalizing it all can be tough for me. And weirdly, I think this is a step forward for me. After the moaning and groaning, I can sort through it all and move on. In the not so distant past, I would bottle it all up and be stressed about it, then carry it forth into the next room-vibe situation I entered.

It's taxing, to say the least.

I have to remind myself that I am an individual among billions (I think) of people. A lot of time spent in my head in public situations is just me mentally tapping myself and reminding myself to chill out.

Admission: Sometimes when I come out of a very stimulating scenario, I cry, like snot and tears everywhere. It's because I am picking up on so much; compartmentalizing it all can be tough for me. And weirdly, I think this is a step forward for me. After the moaning and groaning, I can sort through it all and move on. In the not so distant past, I would bottle it all up and be stressed about it, then carry it forth into the next room-vibe situation I entered.

+1. Yep, very similar. @WellNoWonder

Are you talking about being very sensitive to non-verbal communication or body language?

I can pick up on vibes, but if I don't have enough energy then I can't work with them. It's fun when I can, though.

This has happened to me A LOT

I don't have the right headspace to write a long detailed explanation to this, but short answer is yes, I am affected very strongly from the vibes in a room, and yes I react to it.

Reactions: Gaze
I'm like this too :) . It's good if the vibes is nice. If it's happy or positive, I'd be even more happy than the people I'm getting the vibes from.. or energy as I like to call it, though I don't know too what I'm getting from them :))... but if it's a negative vibe.. I notice I get their anger too. When I go out of the room.. I feel angry :( . Then I realize I'm not angry... I got it from another person who really felt that way :(

Sometimes I like being able to feel people's emotions and vibes and energies because i know how to get along. I only hate it when I feel the vibes that they hate me or not like me there or they don't like another person in the room.. I feel the tension :(

Sometimes it's also overwhelming. In large crowds.. I just feel it and that's why I hate people and crowded places. Their vibes are too overwhelming to me. I love going to open places where you can see the trees and the sky and nature because I also feel something with it. It feels peaceful and calm :)

oh!! one time, I went to this party and there's this person who does tarrot readings whatever and he told me I was an empath and asked me if I wanted to stop being one....I asked him how would he do that.. he told me he can't tell me but it takes a lot of his energy and he would "get" that empathy from me. I don't know if that's possible but if it is, I'm happy I didn't agree :)

There are some strange, strange things afoot with this

I don't know what it is. I want to believe we subconsciously pick up body language in others and this causes a change in state in us but I have seen and done some things which suggest that this isn't the case.

There is a mirroring technique I sometimes use to practice rapport building skills. I can get someone to copy my body language without them realising it (sometimes. I'm hardly an expert at this)

The scariest example of this is when I was doing it to a guy in the town centre who was walking way in front of me. When The rapport kicks in you feel a warm fuzzy feeling in your chest and suddenly it's like you don't have to try to match their body language. you are in synch. Often the person will look at you and smile as if they know you when this happens. As soon as I felt the warm fuzzy feeling the guy, who was walking 100 or so yards in front of me with several people in between, turned and looked directly at me and gave me a great big smile and noddded his head at me.

Explain that with body language

I have walked into a room and felt a weird oppressing vibe which caused me to physically shudder. I asked those present what was wrong and looked around the room. the women who sits at a desk that you can't see when entering the room unless you turn around looked up at me and she had the biggest black rings around her eyes I've seen short of a black eye. She looked like she had been crying her eyes out and looked so ill that I couldn't believe she was even at work.

It is possible that her state was "bouncing off" others in the room and I was picking it up from them but i'm not sure. It was a tangible pressure. I get things like this often

There are some strange, strange things afoot with this

I don't know what it is. I want to believe we subconsciously pick up body language in others and this causes a change in state in us but I have seen and done some things which suggest that this isn't the case.

There is a mirroring technique I sometimes use to practice rapport building skills. I can get someone to copy my body language without them realising it (sometimes. I'm hardly an expert at this)

The scariest example of this is when I was doing it to a guy in the town centre who was walking way in front of me. When The rapport kicks in you feel a warm fuzzy feeling in your chest and suddenly it's like you don't have to try to match their body language. you are in synch. Often the person will look at you and smile as if they know you when this happens. As soon as I felt the warm fuzzy feeling the guy, who was walking 100 or so yards in front of me with several people in between, turned and looked directly at me and gave me a great big smile and noddded his head at me.

Explain that with body language

I have walked into a room and felt a weird oppressing vibe which caused me to physically shudder. I asked those present what was wrong and looked around the room. the women who sits at a desk that you can't see when entering the room unless you turn around looked up at me and she had the biggest black rings around her eyes I've seen short of a black eye. She looked like she had been crying her eyes out and looked so ill that I couldn't believe she was even at work.

It is possible that her state was "bouncing off" others in the room and I was picking it up from them but i'm not sure. It was a tangible pressure. I get things like this often

That is strange but cool ;)

So you can control your strange/cool thing? :) I went to a forum and they used some kind of protection whatever I don't understand .. they use it to stop getting other people's emotions and vibes but that's for empathy. i don't know what you call that thing you do :)

I read something from somewhere <--haha and it's kind of like this.... it's like empathy but another type I guess... they can make the person feel what they're feeling and stuff like that but they're not in control.. it just happens ... I didn't read the whole article though.

That is strange but cool ;)

So you can control your strange/cool thing? :) I went to a forum and they used some kind of protection whatever I don't understand .. they use it to stop getting other people's emotions and vibes but that's for empathy. i don't know what you call that thing you do :)

I read something from somewhere <--haha and it's kind of like this.... it's like empathy but another type I guess... they can make the person feel what they're feeling and stuff like that but they're not in control.. it just happens ... I didn't read the whole article though.

Everybody does this whether they realise it or not. You do it

It is a natural part of human interaction.

Heres a basic explanation

http://www.renewal.ca/nlp15.htm

Also, I can't watch medical procedures on tv. If I'm forced to watch someone being operated on or something It sometimes gives me chest pains. I have a constant dull pain in my chest anyway but watching something like that can make it very painful

I think my mirror neurons are rather strong

It sees that this all comes back to empathy and being a highly sensitive person (HSP)

Also, I can't watch medical procedures on tv. If I'm forced to watch someone being operated on or something It sometimes gives me chest pains. I have a constant dull pain in my chest anyway but watching something like that can make it very painful

I think my mirror neurons are rather strong

The concept of mirror neurons is very interesting. So, this suggests a biological basis for this phenomena then? @Poetic Justice

All this makes we want to study psychobiology

The concept of mirror neurons is very interesting. So, this suggests a biological basis for this phenomena then? @Poetic Justice

All this makes we want to study psychobiology

It would make sense if we were picking up subconsciously on peoples body language and our mirror neurons are activated, generating in us a simlar state to the person who we are reading. I want this to be true as it makes sense and would explain it without any mystical mumbo jumbo being needed.

However, the thing that bothers me is the times when people couldn't see my body language or I can't see theirs. Like in my two examples. How do the mirror neurons know what state the othe person is in if they can't see body language or hear voice tone etc?

I lay awake at night pondering this. I don't have an answer

Btw, you should definately start studying things like this. It's fascinating.

Edit: [MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION] You'll probably find this interesting. It talks a bit about imitation, mirror neurons and empathising

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070504121241.htm

Last edited:
When you are not conscious of something, you obviously have no conscious control over it.

Trying to systemetise or be conscious of the subtle perceptible clues which tune you into other people's mood/thoughts/feelings/motives/etc. is too complex a task to undertake consciously, so it is probably to leave that processing at the unconscious level.

However, learning to become consciously aware of your unconscious awareness of others opens up a whole world of experimenting with conscious approaches to other's psychological/emotional/mental/etc states.

At present your unconscious approach is one of mimicing - but once you are more conscious of your own perceptions of others, you can try different stuff, like confronting, questioning, reinforcing, encouraging, etc.

The point is: in becoming more consciously aware of your perceptions, you can have better conscious control over your interactions.

Reactions: acd and Gaze
When you are not conscious of something, you obviously have no conscious control over it.

Trying to systemetise or be conscious of the subtle perceptible clues which tune you into other people's mood/thoughts/feelings/motives/etc. is too complex a task to undertake consciously, so it is probably to leave that processing at the unconscious level.

However, learning to become consciously aware of your unconscious awareness of others opens up a whole world of experimenting with conscious approaches to other's psychological/emotional/mental/etc states.

At present your unconscious approach is one of mimicing - but once you are more conscious of your own perceptions of others, you can try different stuff, like confronting, questioning, reinforcing, encouraging, etc.

The point is: in becoming more consciously aware of your perceptions, you can have better conscious control over your interactions.

Simply by paying attention to these cues you are training yourself to bring more of them into consciousness. You are right that it's too complex to pay attention to them all in consciousness but it is quite possible to make finer and finer distinctions when it comes non verbals such as colour changes in peoples skin, muscle tension, gestures etc.

by using your peripheral vision you can see so much more than you would ever believe possible. Most people ignore there peripheral vision but it is an exceptionally useful tool. It is able to pick up far more detailed changes than your foveal vision which can only pay attention to one thing at a time. You can track multiple changes at much finer detail with peripheral

The snag is that it only registers changes and movement. If something is perfectly still, forget it. you're not going to be able to tell anything meaningful if it is unchanging and unmoving.

It is possible to enter a state of hightened awareness where all of your "bandwidth" of consciousness is focused on your peripheral vision. It is quite an experience to watch peoples faces during this. The colour changes alone will blow you away. You'll wonder how you ever missed all that stuff

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
....deer (in/on/infront/ahead? WUT) the headlights.

Fight (adjust) or flee. I wish I could change the vibes, but alas, my social skills ain't that skillful yet.

hands up! who gets vibes just from reading peeps posts on this forum?

*hand in air* Me! Me!

hands up! who gets vibes just from reading peeps posts on this forum?

*hand in air* Me! Me!

You are picturing the person in your head and reading the body language of your imagined poster and/or hearing the the voice in your head and getting the vibe from the voice tone, tempo etc you imagine them speaking in. Peoples choice of avatar, their writing style, your beliefs about the persons personality and probably a few other things all contribute to your "hallucination"

Again, this is unavoidable. We all do it.

Consider this before posting that angry reply ;)

Edit: apparently some people on this forum are intimidated by me. This is in part due to my avatar and abrupt and to the point writing style.

I'm really a big softy who just wants to be hugged

*glares*