The Sun Is the Most Perfect Naturally-Occurring Sphere in the Universe | INFJ Forum

The Sun Is the Most Perfect Naturally-Occurring Sphere in the Universe

Quiet

i know nothing
Dec 16, 2011
aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
The Sun Is the Most Perfect Naturally-Occurring Sphere in the Universe
Colin Lecher

from http://www.popsci.com.au/science/th...ct-naturally-occurring-sphere-in-the-universe

After 50 years of research, we've discovered a strange, beautiful fact about our Sun: it's more perfectly round than anything else in the natural world. It's not the roundest in a certain category; it's just the roundest sphere there is. If it were a beach ball, The Guardian writes, it would be a hair's width away from complete perfection.

Most planets exhibit some sort of a bulge at their equator because of their rotations. Jupiter's spin, for example, makes it about 7 percent wider. So you'd naturally think the Sun shared some of those properties, but you'd be wrong - the bulge at the Sun's equator turned out to be relatively minuscule. The Sun is about 1.4 million kilometers across. The distortion at its equator? A mere 10 kilometers. The only thing we know of that's rounder is a manmade, artificial silicon sphere.

Until recently, Earth's atmosphere distorted our view in such a way that we couldn't get accurate measurements. Using instruments from Nasa's Solar Dynamics Observatory, scientists were finally able to. University of Hawaii's Jeffrey Kuhn, who led the team behind the measurements, told The Guardian that the observations were clues to the Sun's interior, which moves at different speeds in different areas. An accurate measurement can help us understand how those speeds are distributed.

And yet its the only star close enough to actually measure that... it seems absurd to say its the most round in the universe...

Reactions: Nixie
And yet its the only star close enough to actually measure that... it seems absurd to say its the most round in the universe...

Sun dissing fool

wicker-man-chris-lee-color.jpg

It's bugging me that it's being compared to Jupiter which is a planet, while the sun itself is a star. It's gravitational make up alone is very different to even establish a comparison. If anything it should be compared to other stars in the galaxy, on which information is scarce I am sure.

Also, for some reason I do not find the "discovery" shocking. Although, we are not sure it's the most perfectly spherical star in the universe, it makes sense for it to be the most round object in the solar system.

I saw these reports and I thought it was interesting. Given the amount of instruments, telescopes etc available I would have thought this would have been realised decades ago. I've put a link to The Guardian report below.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/aug/16/sun-perfect-sphere-nature?cat=science&type=article

View attachment 15110

Tools of observation can only provide so much here. The sun has it own cycle of activities that take about 11 years. It's nice that we're advancing so quickly in terms of technology, but it's very possible that a lot of our data maybe lacking because we have yet to witness a fully unfolding pattern of what we're currently studying.

Whatever Neil Armstrong.

Lets skip the part where we just say obvious and well known facts.
Oh god. This is such a role reversal. Usually I am the one annoyed by your completely obvious, captain obvious routine.

I literally thought the same exact thing when I saw this!

Mankind doesn't even know what all is IN the entire universe. Can't say something like this with any sort of certainty at all. o_O

They said it was the only one known

Ahem...

Black holes

Stars bigger than own

Stars with no planets in orbit around them

Stars that spin slower than our own

Nuff said

They said it was the only one known

Not in the title or the first paragraph or two. If they buried it in the end, its still absurd to say. But then the site is called "popsci" that should give it away.

I am just happy the sun is round and not a square.

Not in the title or the first paragraph or two. If they buried it in the end, its still absurd to say. But then the site is called "popsci" that should give it away.

I was talking about The Guardian article. I didn't read the PopSci piece, you're right they didn't mention that at all.

A non-rotating black hole in deep space is, theoretically, perfectly spherical.

Not counting the spheres I'm rotating, dissecting and tesselating in my mind!

^____^

Reactions: the and Nixie