The Perfect Way to Quit Your Job | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The Perfect Way to Quit Your Job

You heard very wrong. Pissed means intoxicated and mad. Mad means angry as well as the way I just used it.

Oh, so it would just sound odd, not incomprehensible. Kind of like when I heard a British person say they were going to "top up" their cell phone because it was running low on minutes, but was able to figure out what it meant due to our having the similar expression "top off," which is only used in reference to liquids.

Still, why would anything I'd say seem out of place? You realise I've always put the "u" in colour right? Although funnily enough, so do Canadians.
Yes, I did notice that, which was why I assumed you were Canadian.

Your use of language seemed somewhere between American and British use, which made me think Canadian.

You would probably need a large sample of writing over a long period of time to tell, though, and even then it would be difficult to tell whether they've picked up expressions from the other English-speaking societies.

Oh, so it would just sound odd, not incomprehensible. Kind of like when I heard a British person say they were going to "top up" their cell phone because it was running low on minutes, but was able to figure out what it meant due to our having the similar expression "top off," which is only used in reference to liquids.

Err.. with liquids the phrase is also top up. Top off makes no sense at all.

Then again neither does "hold down the fort" or "I could care less".

(The correct phrases are "hold the fort" and "I couldn't care less".)

Err.. with liquids the phrase is also top up. Top off makes no sense at all.

Then I believe I've made my point. Hehe. We can't understand each other. :)

Well, not without explanation, anyway.

I'm probably easier to understand than some people, though, because I avoid colloquialisms and grammatical errors like the plague. "Top off" is actually a colloquialism, while "fill up" is standard.

Here's an example of how many Americans speak:

"Yo, what's up. What yo name is? That cheesy flick sucked, man. Y'all been licked by my posse."

Translated:

"How are things going? What is your name? That movie was horrible, my friend. My small mob has defeated all of you."

You've got a much better chance of understanding the latter version than the former, do you not?

Last edited:

I'm probably easier to understand than some people, though, because I avoid colloquialisms and grammatical errors like the plague. "Top off" is actually a colloquialism, while "fill up" is standard.

"Yo, what's up. What yo name is? That cheesy flick sucked, man. Y'all been licked by my posse."

Translated:

"How are things going? What is your name? That movie was horrible, my friend. My small mob has defeated all of you."

You've got a much better chance of understanding the latter version than the former, do you not?

I can understand both fine, except I consider the former a massive douche and would disassociate myself from him immediately.

It's not like I've never met an American before.

I can understand both fine, except I consider the former a massive douche and would disassociate myself from him immediately.

It's not like I've never met an American before.

That would explain why you seem to have some word usage that seems more American than British. You've probably picked up a few phrases from your American friends, and possibly American television.

I'm impressed that you can understand both. I didn't at first, but I had to learn some of it in school (one of my teachers actually insisted on teaching it), even though I look down on people who speak that way.

It's just that these days, it seems difficult for me to find Americans that don't speak that way, at least in person. Online, however... it's much easier. Maybe I just live in a bad part of the US.

Last edited:
That would explain why you seem to have some word usage that seems more American than British. You've probably picked up a few phrases from your American friends, and possibly American television.

I'm impressed that you can understand both. I didn't at first, but I had to learn some of it in school (one of my teachers actually insisted on teaching it), even though I look down on people who speak that way.

It's just that these days, it seems difficult for me to find Americans that don't speak that way, at least in person. Online, however... it's much easier.

But you don't type that way, and neither do I, so it's irrelevent.

Reactions: athenian200
Sigh... you can't tell he's English in every post he makes. He might drop a word or phrase on occasion but its not a telltale sign of it anywhere. Also, thinking so is falling into the trap of believing stereotypes and such, verging on racism. Also, why would you immediately think he had to have picked up your local phrases? We both know a shit ton of Scandinavians and honestly, when posting, we all sound about the same. So end this.

I couldn't care less if Chaz was British, Canadian or American. I'd let him fill up my gas and ride all the elevators in my apartment that he wants. I don't know if I'd trust him to hold down my fort though.

I couldn't care less if Chaz was British, Canadian or American. I'd let him fill up my gas and ride all the elevators in my apartment that he wants. I don't know if I'd trust him to hold down my fort though.

Well if we were under attack and the only way to stop the attack was to keep hold of this massive inflatable fort which would float away if both of us weren't able to hold the thing down, yet you had to go out to do something. I assure you, I'll do my best to keep this inflatable fort from flying away.

Inflatable fort?

I smell a Nazi.

Edit: But a dependable sounding one nonetheless.

Last edited:
Also, thinking so is falling into the trap of believing stereotypes and such, verging on racism.

I strongly disagree, but...

So end this.
Fine. I was finished anyway, having gotten the information I needed. I was only curious about what he could and couldn't understand, I don't think less of him for being from another country. In fact, I think he's very articulate.

I'm sorry that you're so offended.

I strongly disagree, but...

Fine. I was finished anyway, having gotten the information I needed. I was only curious about what he could and couldn't understand, I don't think less of him for being from another country. In fact, I think he's very articulate.

I'm sorry that you're so offended.
Nope, its fine. I just didn't want the "you don't sound English" debate to go on for another page.

I'll bet he feels English though!

Haha ok I'm done.

Translated:

:m194:

Bhuh--?

ROFL! I think that's standard in gangsta films written by folks who grew up in Saskatchewan. I...I seriously know of no one who speaks exactly like that. But then, I may be out of touch.

Edit: I'm done, too. Sorry, carry on - sans stereotypes.

Reactions: athenian200