The Inauguration of America's new pres. | INFJ Forum

The Inauguration of America's new pres.

mayflow

Banned
May 26, 2008
MBTI
INFP
I know not everyone here is from the USA , but I am wondering what people think about our new pres? Better than before? A new beginning? A maturation of a country symbol?

Does the USA really have a leading influential role in todays and future worlds? Is it good, or bad or neutral? Really, what is the worldthink on this? My take on this from being here in the US, is that this is really seen as a positive move towards world peace and equanimity regardless of race or gender or nationality. Much of this is due to a bad History of making certain people slaves in the past and treating them with lack of due respect, and now turning around and realizing said mistakes, and realizing how cool we really all are.

Last edited:
Hate to be a downer, but he's just a politician. My close family, ENFJ neighbor and others I know seem to think he's the knight that will rescue us from misery, so I assume he's viewed similarly in much of the country.

Like I said, I hate to be a downer, and a cynic...but he's just a politician, just a man, and he has a congress of 535 other politicians to deal with, even if they are in his same party.

So being realistic, I don't expect much out of him, although it may be great to see good things happen.

It is way too early to say whether or not this will be really a new or better beginning. I think it will take more years than Obama could have in office to undo the economic ills the past administration has inflicted on our future generations.

I think the US shouldn't be viewed as influential. I think you can view it as an influence. The question should be whether or not the Obama's .
Administration will be a better one than Bush's was.

Slavery was or is not the root cause of this countries problems. Slavery was and IS practiced by cultures and civilizations throughout the course of human history all around the globe. In my opinion, I don't view it as a mistake. This country wouldn't be as strong as it is without that sordid little chapter of America's past. For right or wrong, I feel that that practice has strengthed this country by infusing the masses with a group of people who are more committed to the ideal of freedom than any other American ethnicity. (my .02 on the matter!)

Yeah President Obama! Let this be the rebirth of a better, stronger, nation. A true United States of America. Thru him, I do hope for change I can be proud of. And truly be proud to be an American.

We've been glued to CNN since about 9am.

Just heaved a huge sigh of relief when President and Mrs. Obama got back in the limo after walking several blocks in the Inauguration Parade.

We - all of us - including my young son and Not-American husband - have been so deeply moved, and so proud, and so awed by this event.

No room in my mind or my heart for cynicism, bitterness or even analysis today. A very rare thing for me... living in the moment.

Feels like the history it is. Feels like the thrill it is. Feels like the healing so many of us hope it is.

A very proud day for America indeed.

I know not everyone here is from the USA , but I am wondering what people think about our new pres? Better than before? A new beginning? A maturation of a country symbol?

Does the USA really have a leading influential role in todays and future worlds? Is it good, or bad or neutral? Really, what is the worldthink on this? My take on this from being here in the US, is that this is really seen as a positive move towards world peace and equanimity regardless of race or gender or nationality. Much of this is due to a bad History of making certain people slaves in the past and treating them with lack of due respect, and now turning around and realizing said mistakes, and realizing how cool we really all are.

I watched the inauguration and thought it was very beautiful and inspiring. Now comes the hard part though. I think it has the potential to be very positive for the rest of the world, but poetic words need to be followed up with real action as well.

In Iraq, for example, people are highly skeptical:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/20/obama-inauguration-iraq

It's not America's ideals that are the problem, on the contrary - we have some of the highest ideals of any nation. The problem is America's actions.

Words will get cheap very quickly if Obama's actual policies do not differ from that of the previous administration. Otherwise it's just window dressing -- and a triumph of marketing in our media saturated age.

here's what really stood out to me"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers."

:mpff:
be yond that, i found the speech was rather cliche, and really only said that he's willing to be radical...which...well...isn't really that radical. I didn't hear him actually propose anything new. He only stated the obvious that some things have to change. Considering that was his entire campaign, I was rather bored (and slightly disappointed, I liked the relative political calm between the election and now).

I'm hoping he was just laying low and will shock and awe with the changes he makes....if he doesn't...

It still can't be as bad as Bush. Anyone remember the speech following his inauguration.... “This is an impressive crowd: the Have's and Have-more's. Some people call you the elites. I call you my base.”

We all see where that sort of catering got us. Hopefully this will be a President for the People. Or at least this is my hope.

So I take it he hasn't been assassinated by some radical skinhead?

I have said it before. I simply do not trust him. Today is no different. Mabye I am just too liberal even for him.

IS in all fairness, you probably wouldn't trust anyone who ran for president.

I wouldn't either, cause, duh he's a fucking politician, they all are. You just pick the lessor evil and cope.

I hope Obama will lead us to a more prosperous America, but I realize that Obama is just the scapegoat, the rest of the branches are where you should be looking for the 'real change.'

I felt that his speech was meant to be simple and not controversial, but that's just me.

Last edited:
IS in all fairness, you probably wouldn't trust anyone who ran for president.

Your right kinda :tinfoil3:

I think alot of it has to do with the fact that everyone latched on to him so quickly, and he didn't impress me largely. The olny guy I liked was Mike Gravel, and that is because he just seemed "real". Almost every politiction puts up this front and filters their personaltiy. For me that is just a huge warning sign all around.

Most people who run for president do that, so yeah, your right haha.

I felt that his speech was meant to be simple and not controversial, but that's just me.

if it would have been controversial, no one would have voted for him... and not all solutions to problems have to be physics...

KISS - Keep It Simple, Silly

this country if fucked up, he got voted in, his job to fix it... why does it have to be so complex..?

if it would have been controversial, no one would have voted for him... and not all solutions to problems have to be physics...

KISS - Keep It Simple, Silly

this country if fucked up, he got voted in, his job to fix it... why does it have to be so complex..?

True, you do have to play for your auidence.

I thought kiss was keep it simple, stupid. (then again, it could have just been an underhanded insult from my apush teacher >>)

The olny guy I liked was Mike Gravel, and that is because he just seemed "real". Almost every politiction puts up this front and filters their personaltiy. For me that is just a huge warning sign all around.

I liked Gravel, Kucinich, and dare I say it, but Ron Paul as well. I liked those three because they had actual positions on issues and could outline their principles that were directing their positions. You knew what you were voting for, even if you didn't agree 100% of the time.

I think there is so much pressure on politicians to be all things to all people, so they end up just running on image and not taking any position on anything.

Last edited:
I liked Gravel, Kucinich, and dare I say it, but Ron Paul as well. I liked those three because they had actual positions on issues and could outline their principles that were directing their positions. You knew what you were voting for, even if you didn't agree 100% of the time.

I think there is so much pressure on politicians to be all things to all people, so they end up just running on image and not taking any position on anything.

Which is why I will never be satisfied...

I've got to say, this is a day I never imagined would come. But I attach so many meanings to that statement.

When I was born, John F. Kennedy was president. Then Johnson, then Nixon (who I watched resign), then Ford, then Carter. And then I came of voting age in the Regan era. So I've been through Regan (twice), Bush the First, Clinton (twice) and Bush (twice). That's my entire life up till now. And at best I felt ambivalent about my country's Leader. At worst I felt loathing. The last 8 years drained me almost completely of love for and hope for my country.

Until this year, I had never voted FOR my leader, only against the one I disliked more.

I get the cynical mindset so many are expressing, I really do. I've held it myself for virtually all of my adult life.

But I'm relieved to find at my age that I'm still capable of hope and inspiration, and for the first time not only have I voted FOR my leader, I have seen him take office. I find myself thrilled with the feelings of loyalty and allegiance in myself. I had no idea they were there. I plan to cherish them for as long as I possibly can.

I hate to admit it sometimes, but I live in a bubble. It's not always good and I'm not always proud of it, but it's a way of sanity.

So I haven't followed much of the presidential debate. I would have if I was eligible to vote (I don't live in the US/not a US citizen). But I appreciate the little bits that I have observed/heard so far from Obama. And I appreciate SO MUCH the hope and inspiration/relief people feel. If anything, I'm also ecstatic that bush is out of office. Never again I hope to god.

I know he is just one person and if - I realize that may be a big if - if he wants to "do good", he still has other cabinet (senate?) members around him that he has to deal with.

But I truly believe that one person can make a difference. And that ONE person who is inspired and "englightened" and on a path of universal peace and compassion can make a greater difference than millions of confounded and ego-living people.

I'm not saying that is who Obama is. But if he is anywhere closer to that than most politicians, then perhaps he can turn things around. Even if we don't know how.

In any case, I admire him incredibly - for being able to go on and work towards (hopefully) a better reality for all, despite intense pressure, expectations, attention, and energy that rest on him. That is incredible to me. Some days I feel like I can barely keep my one life together. And here is a person who has the intense pressure of being the president of a country in such a complicated situation, with billions of people's hopes and expectations focused on the decisions he endorses (if not makes)... all on him.

Last edited:
I forget how negative I can be...

I do need to say this though:

I really like michelle obama alot. I really like the vibe I get from her. She seems very trustworthy, tough, caring and nutering, and smart. There is something about her that really catches my attention, in a good way. That helps alot.