The Golden Rule. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The Golden Rule.

I much prefer The Great Commandment ("You shall love your neighbor as yourself") over The Golden Rule. It can take into account that people can have different preferences.

The fact is that most people do tend to follow the golden rule, but often want to be treated differently than others. Sometimes people get upset at how critical I can be, but they fail to realize that I am more upset by how uncritical they are of me. People have commented that I often sound like I'm fishing for compliments but get upset when compliments are given, and am much happier with critique. I want objective, constructive criticism, and despise empty praise. (Personal attacks where negative Fi opinions are expressed with no rational basis are of course also very unwelcome.) I find insincere politeness to be highly insulting.

Kindness =/= niceness. Kindness is compassion and good will towards others, which may include telling them things they really don't want to hear. Niceness is just trying to seem agreeable or unoffensive, and is frequently only a superficial veneer over apathy or a tool used conceal one's disdain for those one does not respect but considers useful. For most of its history, the word nice was an insult. It is derived from the Latin Nescius, meaning ignorant.

this, for the most part.

A peculiar disclaimer. What prompted that? From glancing at the anonymous confessions thread it hardly seems likely that you'd end up in the doghouse anytime soon.

[MENTION=3072]Royal[/MENTION]

Yeah, I think the originator of the Golden Rule forgot to figure in the masochists.

When I first joined people were not the
nicest, believe it or not it took some
months (; I know, who would have guessed
from the INFJ forum, lol.

I sure was an idiot. Lol.

Reactions: acd
A sadist is just a masochist who obeys the golden rule ;D

Reactions: Bird
I'm going to be honest. I like the theory of the Golden Rule but I only practice it when it is to my advantage. I also like the "Always do what I want to do" rule which strangely enough can be twisted to allow me to do what I don't want (The Golden Rule) to get what I want. Things get completely unmanageable when I don't know what I want. However, for infjsf, I wish to get along so I do. At least I think I am because really who really ever knows the true state of things.

Reactions: Arsal