The commonly confused words test! | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

The commonly confused words test!

Advanced
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 73% Expert!

You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.
Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

Not bad for a third language :p :D

You scored 93% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 93% Expert!

I guess that's decent enough. This test is annoying though, I'd like to know which ones I missed and what the correct answers were.

@Jill Hives there is an answer key when you get your results http://shortredhead78.blogspot.ca/

You scored 93% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 93% Expert!

I got these ones wrong >: (

35. She complains to __________ will listen.
a. whoever
b. whomever
c. Either a or b
d. Neither a nor b
The correct answer is whomever.
Definitions:
who - pron. which person - used subjectively
whom - pron. the objective case of who
Explanation:
Whom is always used when it is the object of a preposition. Who is used as a suject and when a pronoun such as I or he could replace who. Here is an easy little trick to differentiate between who and whom: Replace the questionable word with he or him. If you would replace it with he, use who. If you would replace it with him, use whom.
Examples:
She complains to ___. You would fill in the blank with him, but you couldn't use he, so the use whom.
___ complains to him. You will fill in this blank with he, not him, so use who.
Who complains to whom? She complains to him. Very simply put:
Who = He
Whom = Him

In my mind colloquially used English is also English, so I chose both.

5. He __________ to the banquet with Naomi and __________.
a. gone / I
b. gone / me
c. went / I
d. went / me
The correct answer is went / me.
Definitions:
gone
- v. past participle of go
went - v. past tense of go
Explanation:
Past participles are used for perfect forms of the verb. Perfect forms use auxiliary verbs before the main verb (See "Did you know?" in question 4's explanation). You can say "He had gone" or "He should have gone", but you cannot use the verb gone without an auxiliary verb. Went is simply past tense of the word go. Therefore, went is the correct choice.
The words I and me can sometimes get confusing. There are two rules that make using these two words very simple.
1) Never put yourself first.
2) Remove the other person from the equation.
In this sentence, remove Naomi. Would you say "He went to the banquet with I", or "He went to the banquet with me"? Me is the correct choice in this sentence.

Lies!

[video=youtube;HxciIyDf5nU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxciIyDf5nU[/video]

Thanks @niffer :D

I got 5 wrong too. I don't remember which other ones...

English Genius

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 100% Expert!

You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

ummm, well yeah i rock... it's true...

[h=1]English Genius[/h]
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 97% Advanced, and 100% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

Reactions: jyrffw54
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 100% Expert!

I liked the question that prompted you to finish this sentence:

Speeding in your car is ______.

... and they had you choose between risky and risqué, lol. I kind of doubt that these two words are commonly confused...

English Genius

You scored 93% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 87% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

I messed up on the Me/I question and also on Flair/Flare (stupid, really) and Whoever/Whomever (I thought it could be either).

Still, not bad.

Reactions: Kgal
Your result for The Commonly Confused Words Test ...

English Genius

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

Your result for The Commonly Confused Words Test ...
English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 87% Expert!

87% ?!?!?!

Your result for*The Commonly Confused Words Test*...

English Genius

You scored 79% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 93% Expert!You did so extremely well, even*I*can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!For the complete Answer Key, visit my blog: http://shortredhead78.blogspot.com/.

Last edited:
English Genius

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 100% Expert!

Last edited:
Genius here, and I better be! Otherwise, I'm selling my degree to the highest bidder. I hope to get at least enough to buy some Ramen.

English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 87% Expert!

I'm a bit shocked at this since I consider myself only average. This seems like stuff that most people should get mostly right.