The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread

Humans are good pattern seers. I read between the lines very well. So.... when the worst ebloa outbreak to ever hit the world happens, when health workers die by the tens several times over, when health workers say this isnt even close to being contained and then, you cant find this on front page news...

News stations LOVE sensationalism. They live for it. They will blow things up like the sars virus and make people think the world is ending just to sell a few more stories or get you to watch. And yet, goto Cnn or Foxnews and see how long it takes you to find the latest info on anything having to do with this ebola outbreak. Think about it.

Humans are good pattern seers. I read between the lines very well. So.... when the worst ebloa outbreak to ever hit the world happens, when health workers die by the tens several times over, when health workers say this isnt even close to being contained and then, you cant find this on front page news...

News stations LOVE sensationalism. They live for it. They will blow things up like the sars virus and make people think the world is ending just to sell a few more stories or get you to watch. And yet, goto Cnn or Foxnews and see how long it takes you to find the latest info on anything having to do with this ebola outbreak. Think about it.

More like the mythical status of Ebola precedes it and has everyone already convinced it is worse than it actually is no matter what anyone would say or report.

More like the mythical status of Ebola precedes it and has everyone already convinced it is worse than it actually is no matter what anyone would say or report.

I wont disagree with that but, I think you are missing my point.

FEAR
every-flight-leaving-ebola-affected-countries-and-the-countries-one-flight-away_004.png

Ahhh shit.

Though Im not going to say where, it seems my current sorry excuse for a job has me working with many Africans for some reason. I think its because this company pays crap and no one who had a choice would be working it. They have family back in Africa and they visit when they can visit. However for some reason the ebola breakout makes them want to go home and visit their families of which many are actually doing.

This might be the worst outbreak of ebola yet, but it pales in comparisons to other outbreaks when you look at the numbers!

Again, I think what happens is that these healthcare workers are in environments very different to first world countries, and they really don't have the infrastructure or money to make them safe. These people are also not prone to making mistakes as well!

I base my main assessment off the fact there have been other ebola outbreaks that have faded into history. Odd though that this one hqs killed so many.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/about.html

So it seems as though they do not know where it originates from, but it does have animal carriers. But I don't think it can go from animal-human...I don't know...all the horror movies I've watched make it hard to know what is fact and fiction in my head ;)

That's the story with a lot of these things, I always suspect mad science, for the majority of human history these outbreaks never happened

You see, I think we need to consider the impact of the serum even more than just a cure. I know NOTHING about this, but how do viruses adapt? Is it possible the serum could make the virus worse?

I think it would be unlikely to make it worse. This vaccine is designed to prevent the virus from entering the cell to reproduce (or so I understand it). As a virus, it must enter a cell and basically force the cell to make copies of itself. Basically hijacking the cells natural process of replication. If you can block the virus from entering the cell, then it can't reproduce. Without the virus destroying our cells by hijacking them, you get better. Fairly simple when said that way. Now there are many ways that viruses can enter a cell, and many different ways to block them. You could make the virus more noticible to the immune system. Attach extra segments to the virus that provent it from passing through the cell wall. Trick the virus into thinking it has entered a cell so then it won't. And that's just a few to the best of my understanding. Now if the virus were to adapt, which seems to me the possibly more dangerous case, then it's far more likely that the virus will change the way it enters the cell. Thereby rendering the vaccine ineffective. That is unlikely to make it a worse virus, only immune to the defence we have developed. As for how a virus adapts, I'm pretty shakey in my understanding of that, so ill leave it to someone else to fill in that blank. :)
A bigger worry in my mind is the vaccine itself. They still need to do trials to see what the effects of this vaccine are and if those side effects are bad or not.

Thousands of people in West Africa have died from the virus; two Americans contract it and suddenly a cure is trotted out because they are an extreme circumstance. I'm not surprised, but I'm saddened nonetheless.

This is a release from a Canadian company working on an ebola vaccination: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...5f94/TKMR_News_2014_7_21_General_Releases.pdf

Interestingly,

On May 21, 2014, the Company disclosed the results of the single ascending dose portion of the study which demonstrated the
administration of TKM-Ebola in the absence of any steroid-containing pre-medication was well-tolerated at a dose level of 0.3
mg/kg, determined to be the maximum tolerated dose in the absence of steroid cover. At that time, Dr. Murray said, "These
(TKM-Ebola Phase I) results are significant as they establish the safety of 'third generation' LNP formulations and confirm that
dosing at efficacious levels may be accomplished without the need for pre-medication."

I wonder why they're only now trying it on human patients - they could have been testing it on the 800+ Africans who have been diagnosed and dying since March!

[video=youtube;lRYPQ504Fko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRYPQ504Fko[/video]

Are these 21 quarantine centres just now being setup in anticipation for ebola? Or have they always been there- they mentioned they're open 365, 24/7. The fact that they're not screening incoming travellers indicates that there's less concern for it- which makes sense.