The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread

It's one thing if a person is going to die anyways, it's another if you cause the death. Especially after you gave them hope. It's definitely not something I would take lightly.

I think you need to consider this in the context of ebola and the potential to have a world pandemic. Essentially, there is no right answer, just a less worse outcome. If you have the potential for a cure, do you give it to those who are infected and have a likelihood of dying? Or do you continue to test it- which could take months or years - and see if it's okay? What is the less of the two evils? This is what the WHO is really battling with now. Giving someone a cure, even if it's temporary, gives you time to find other means of helping them. If your loved one was infected, and you knew that there was a potential cure was available, wouldn't you want them to have it? Regardless of the side effects, if it was going to make them live, you're likely to take it.

"While viruses like Ebola emerge relatively infrequently, we know a great deal about them. Ebola and the other hemorrhagic fever viruses like it kill dramatically and often painfully. As demonstrated through the current outbreak, they can have a devastating impact on local communities and can harm the countries and regions where they exist. Nevertheless, they definitely do not move like a common cold or have the potential to spread around the world igniting a global pandemic that will kill millions. Everything we know about Ebola suggests that it spreads in a limited number of well-defined ways, such as the intensive care of sick patients and the mortuary preparation of those that have succumbed to the disease. With circumscribed capacity to spread along with distinct, identifiable symptoms, this virus doesn’t have pandemic potential.

Ignorance and hysteria around this virus inflame its spread and thwart the development of systems that have the potential to stop it. Among the incredible challenges in the response to the current outbreak include misinformation and rumor. Lack of common knowledge about how Ebola spreads is causing some of the people in affected regions at greatest risk to shun health authorities and to avoid reporting the disease. Silence, denial and fear kill. Instead of permitting hard-working Ministries of Health to identify affected regions and anticipate future spread, they fan the flames."

a million people dead is a lot and sad. In a whole, it might not impact society - especially if they were spread out...but it's still a million people :*(

You can be sad if you want but a million people in the world is a small amount. I will save sad feeling for when those I know die. Thats more than enough sad for me. Still I do care about humanity as a whole just... a million is a drop. The game will prove that as you see 40 million a day die and it still takes 10 minutes to finish. On second thought given your sentiments, avoid the game. :)

I think you need to consider this in the context of ebola and the potential to have a world pandemic. Essentially, there is no right answer, just a less worse outcome. If you have the potential for a cure, do you give it to those who are infected and have a likelihood of dying? Or do you continue to test it- which could take months or years - and see if it's okay? What is the less of the two evils? This is what the WHO is really battling with now. Giving someone a cure, even if it's temporary, gives you time to find other means of helping them. If your loved one was infected, and you knew that there was a potential cure was available, wouldn't you want them to have it? Regardless of the side effects, if it was going to make them live, you're likely to take it.

ethical questions such as these are beyond me. I won't pretend to know what's right. Where do you draw the line between cautious and that need for a cure? I can't answer that question without an intimate knowledge of the cure and the disease. And even then I don't know if it would be an easy answer. If this disease ever comes to America, I'll be staying home untill a cure is released. I'm glad I live in the country if such an eventuality where to occur.

You can be sad if you want but a million people in the world is a small amount. I will save sad feeling for when those I know die. Thats more than enough sad for me. Still I do care about humanity as a whole just... a million is a drop. The game will prove that as you see 40 million a day die and it still takes 10 minutes to finish. On second thought given your sentiments, avoid the game. :)

:m045:

hahaha I agree!

I was reading this and I was like "BUT WHAT IF THOSE 1 MILLION WERE THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE!?!"

I would probably hate that game ;)

:m045:

hahaha I agree!

I was reading this and I was like "BUT WHAT IF THOSE 1 MILLION WERE THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE!?!"

I would probably hate that game ;)
Thats actually one of my problems I think. Im only close to maybe 20 or so people. I cant imagine thinking I know 100 people in a way I understand them enough to like them individually.

The first rule in quarantine procedures: Take patient from small, rural population and relocate to large urban population. Oh wait... I must be thinking of.... um.... nothing.

The first rule in quarantine procedures: Take patient from small, rural population and relocate to large urban population. Oh wait... I must be thinking of.... um.... nothing.

Well it would make sense if that's where all the technology and infrastructure and knowledge to do the quarantine actually is at.

Because evidence should clearly indicate that it sure as heck isn't in Africa.

Edit:
And actually if we could afford to ship all the cases to the US and actually treat all of them chances are it'd work out for the best and the outbreak would be all but eradicated.

Last edited:
So lets be realists here. Right or wrong, if its believed that the outbreak can be contained in Africa with little cost but a huge death toll or....high cost and smaller death toll. And the cost is not paid for by the ones getting treatment but by the drug manufacturer themselves, what do you really think is going to happen?

There seems to be a number of things going on with this ebola thing

There is the vaccine they will no doubt want everyone to have

There is the fear generated from the whole thing

Then there is new legislation which permits the government to detain any citizen who appears to have respiratory problems....so don't cough around any police...especially if you are an outspoken opponent of the government

Finally starting to see more ebola in the news. Looks like this one is here to stay. Wonder why it took so long.

MAYBE its just me but wouldnt it be cool if this turned into a full blown all out zombie apocalypse?

Ebola outbreak could justify gun grabs by the government as martial law is declared

I honestly haven't heard anything about ebola for a week now! I guess the threat is over.... hehehehe

I did hear they were releasing the Americans that were infected- I think that happened this week!

I honestly haven't heard anything about ebola for a week now! I guess the threat is over.... hehehehe

I did hear they were releasing the Americans that were infected- I think that happened this week!

Eh well, when they say it's not that big, some times they're actually right.

It's still an important issue but it isn't the end of the world. There's been worse.

It surprises me how all the countries whose citizens were infected, they bring them back to home! >_< That's how it will spread, grr.

Captain trips has hit Ireland, its supposedly been in Donegal.

Captain trips has hit Ireland, its supposedly been in Donegal.

Next they'll be rolling out the enforced vaccinations