The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread

This might be the third or fourth time you have written something on this forum that made me fear for my life. Thanks a lot.
:rain:
I dont mean to do that but I think about these things. I tend to believe information like this has value because you are more likely to survive knowing than not.

Reactions: cvp12gh5
Body fluids of which blood is one. And yes malaria is spread the same way.

Ebola doesn't spread through mosquitoes though. It doesn't live long enough inside the mosquito.

However yes it is true that you can have it well before you know, but it's not contagious during this time. And when it does become contagious, you're already very sick from it. This is probably why it hasn't spread a lot further than it is already.

Has it crossed to the US or elsewhere yet?

I was actually wondering myself if Ebola is one of those tropic diseases or third world problems diseases or one of those antibiotic resistant health services nightmare super bugs like MRSA.

The fact that there's this outbreak at a time when fanatical violence from Israel is being ramped up, the UN is appearing EVEN MORE ineffectual and impotent than usual, Russia is sabre rattling like no ones business and France, Germany, Britain and to some extent the US are on some major WW1 rememberence trip all makes me wonder what the hell kind of end times tension the media can provoke in a single newscast.

I believe it comes from bats, and is spread through them - eating dead animals that have been infected, or even being bitten by infected bats. It's mostly been an issue to hunters and other individuals who are in the jungle and looking for food and such. It originated in Africa, and has primarily spread over there - originating from victims that caught it in the jungle. However, this is by far not the first outbreak. There's been other outbreaks before, but I don't believe they've been this substantial.

Ebola doesn't spread through mosquitoes though. It doesn't live long enough inside the mosquito.

However yes it is true that you can have it well before you know, but it's not contagious during this time. And when it does become contagious, you're already very sick from it. This is probably why it hasn't spread a lot further than it is already.

I see two things happening from this:

1) Anyone with the tiniest of symptom thinks they have ebola and flood hospitals!!

2) Someone with ebola will go into work, thinking it's just a flu and infect everyone there.

http://www.who.int/ith/diseases/haemorrhagicfevers/en/

I believe it comes from bats, and is spread through them - eating dead animals that have been infected, or even being bitten by infected bats. It's mostly been an issue to hunters and other individuals who are in the jungle and looking for food and such. It originated in Africa, and has primarily spread over there - originating from victims that caught it in the jungle. However, this is by far not the first outbreak. There's been other outbreaks before, but I don't believe they've been this substantial.

You know that's similar to the "origin" story which I've heard for where AIDS developed.

Was it the first Outbreak movie which portrayed amazonian deep forest logging as dangerous because it would lead to the unearthing of viral or bacteriological threats to which we had no immunity from isolated parts of the dense rain forest?

I see two things happening from this:

1) Anyone with the tiniest of symptom thinks they have ebola and flood hospitals!!

2) Someone with ebola will go into work, thinking it's just a flu and infect everyone there.

The first one is actually a really big, big issue, the movie Contagion (I think that's the one) which was really about bird flu or something in that order of illness tries to depict how panic and public order issues can lead to casualties quicker than the actual disease and also make the management of the disease problematic too.

I heard that a major source of projected deaths in any outbreak incident would be due to food and water shortages in the average home, then opportunistic crime and violence, then power outages and environmental hazards such as exposure to rain, cold, heat etc. and only then the actual illness itself.

Contagion actually has a good depiction of how conspiracy nuts with the power of the internet could influence situations for the much, much worse in the event of an outbreak.

The first one is actually a really big, big issue, the movie Contagion (I think that's the one) which was really about bird flu or something in that order of illness tries to depict how panic and public order issues can lead to casualties quicker than the actual disease and also make the management of the disease problematic too.

I heard that a major source of projected deaths in any outbreak incident would be due to food and water shortages in the average home, then opportunistic crime and violence, then power outages and environmental hazards such as exposure to rain, cold, heat etc. and only then the actual illness itself.

Contagion actually has a good depiction of how conspiracy nuts with the power of the internet could influence situations for the much, much worse in the event of an outbreak.

Yeah! It's a pretty good portrayal of the epidemiology of diseases and viruses! I liked it!

I should also say- I don't know if bats are the actual case...I feel I might be getting things all mixed up! I'm going to try and find the CDC information I was reading about, it'll explain the origin of it better than me.

About Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever
Ebola hemorrhagic fever (Ebola HF) is one of numerous Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers. It is a severe, often fatal disease in humans and nonhuman primates (such as monkeys, gorillas, and chimpanzees).
Ebola HF is caused by infection with a virus of the family Filoviridae, genus Ebolavirus. When infection occurs, symptoms usually begin abruptly. The first Ebolavirus species was discovered in 1976 in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo near the Ebola River. Since then, outbreaks have appeared sporadically.
There are five identified subspecies of Ebolavirus. Four of the five have caused disease in humans: Ebola virus (Zaire ebolavirus); Sudan virus (Sudan ebolavirus); Taï Forest virus (Taï Forest ebolavirus, formerly Côte d’Ivoire ebolavirus); and Bundibugyo virus (Bundibugyo ebolavirus). The fifth, Reston virus (Reston ebolavirus), has caused disease in nonhuman primates, but not in humans.
The natural reservoir host of ebolaviruses remains unknown. However, on the basis of available evidence and the nature of similar viruses, researchers believe that the virus is zoonotic (animal-borne) with bats being the most likely reservoir. Four of the five subtypes occur in an animal host native to Africa.
A host of similar species is probably associated with Reston virus, which was isolated from infected cynomolgous monkeys imported to the United States and Italy from the Philippines. Several workers in the Philippines and in US holding facility outbreaks became infected with the virus, but did not become ill.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/about.html

So it seems as though they do not know where it originates from, but it does have animal carriers. But I don't think it can go from animal-human...I don't know...all the horror movies I've watched make it hard to know what is fact and fiction in my head ;)

Think about this [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] and all others interested. US doctors and experts who apparently know all about the virus are becoming infected themselves left and right. So, do they have a death wish or is something else going on? Put two and two together.

Think about this [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] and all others interested. US doctors and experts who apparently know all about the virus are becoming infected themselves left and right. So, do they have a death wish or is something else going on? Put two and two together.

But it might go back to the environment and conditions that they're studying it in. I don't disagree that there might be more than we know going on- but I also wouldn't discount the impact of poor facilities and lack of suitable conditions.

But it might go back to the environment and conditions that they're studying it in. I don't disagree that there might be more than we know going on- but I also wouldn't discount the impact of poor facilities and lack of suitable conditions.

Sure. But as a doctor who knows how deadly the disease is, how could you put yourself in a position where your life is in such great risk?

Either they dont know what they are dealing with anymore or...they do but the risk to the world is so great they have to try and contain it at all costs. I suggest the real reason the doctors are coming back to the US is to study the potentially mutated virus in a place that has the most advanced equipment with which to do so. They know these people are already dead but you have to have a reason the bring the bodies (alive or dead) into the country rather than cremate them.

Sure. But as a doctor who knows how deadly the disease is, how could you put yourself in a position where your life is in such great risk?

The purpose of a doctor is to help sick people and some will do so at risk to their own life.

The doctors that caught Ebola recently were missionary doctors. They were doing this for charity. I don't find that hard to understand.

Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ebola-terror-gatwick-passenger-collapses-3977051#ixzz39OEdtpLG
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

ebola-Gatwick-main.jpg

Airport staff tonight told of their fears of an Ebola outbreak after a passenger from Sierra Leone collapsed and died as she got off a plane at Gatwick.

Workers said they were terrified the virus could spread globally through the busy international hub from the West African country which is in the grip of the deadly epidemic.

The woman, said to be 72, became ill on the gangway after she left a Gambia Bird jet with 128 passengers on board.

She died in hospital on Saturday.

Ebola has killed 256 people in Sierra Leone.

A total of 826 have died in West Africa since the outbreak began in February.

Tests were carried out to see if the woman had the disease.

The plane was quarantined as *officials desperately tried to trace everyone who had been in contact with the woman.

Airport workers faced an anxious wait to see if the woman had Ebola. One said: “Everyone’s just *petrified.

“We’ve all seen how many people have died from Ebola, especially in Sierra Leone, and it’s terrifying.”

EBOLA_FLIGHT_MAP.jpg

Speaking of the horrific moment the passenger collapsed, the shocked staff member added: “The woman was sweating buckets and vomiting.

“Paramedics arrived to try and help her. The next thing everybody was there… emergency crews, airfield operations, even immigration.

“They closed down the jet bridge and put the aircraft into quarantine.

“They took everyone’s details, even the guy who fuels the aircraft.”

The plane carrying the woman came from Freetown in Sierra Leone – a country with the highest number of victims from the disease.

It stopped at Banjul in The Gambia before landing in Gatwick at 8.15am on Saturday after a five-hour flight.

Public Health England tried to allay fears of an Ebola *breakout in Britain.

It said the woman showed no *symptoms during the flight.

Gambia-Bird.jpg

One *official added: “Public Health England is aware a passenger arriving on a flight from The Gambia that landed at Gatwick airport on Saturday fell ill shortly after disembarking.

"The passenger was taken to hospital and sadly died.

“In line with standard *procedures, tests are being undertaken to determine the cause of death.

“The patient’s symptoms suggest that Ebola is very unlikely but as a precaution this is one of the tests being undertaken.

"The patient was not symptomatic on the plane and therefore there is no risk of Ebola being passed on to either flight crew or other passengers.

“England has world class health care and disease control systems which are active permanently, *regularly tested and proven to be effective.

“As such, if the UK does see a case of imported Ebola, this will not result in an outbreak in this country.”

The-Ebola-virus.jpg

South East Ambulance Service confirmed it had dealt with the sick woman at the airport.

Communications chief Janine Compton said: “We attended Gatwick airport at 8.30am on Saturday to attend an adult female patient who was seriously ill.

"She was taken to East Surrey Hospital in Redhill where she subsequently died.”

A Gatwick airport spokeswoman added: “A passenger collapsed after disembarking a flight from the Gambia.

"She was treated by airport medical staff at the scene but died later in hospital. The cause of death is yet to be confirmed.”

At around 11pm on Sunday, the Department of Health said that tests for the deadly Ebola virus on the woman who died at Gatwick had proved negative.

There is no cure for Ebola.

Symptoms in the later stages include external and internal bleeding, vomiting and diarrhoea.

At this point the disease is highly contagious.

Victims have a 90% chance of dying, although doctors said in this epidemic the rate is 60%.

The outbreak began in the forests of eastern Guinea in February.

It quickly spread to Liberia and Sierra Leone.

A jump in the number of cases and the death toll has raised international concern and placed under-resourced health facilities in the West African nations under strain.

ebola-graphic.jpg

Last week, the Ebola crisis was described as out of control by World Health Organisation chief Margaret Chan and could be *“catastrophic”.

At the same time, Sierra Leone declared a state of emergency and ca[video]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ebola-terror-gatwick-passenger-collapses-3977051[/video]lled in troops to quarantine victims.

Liberia also imposed controls.

Ms Chan revealed 60 doctors, nurses and health care workers had now lost their lives trying to save others.

She said: “This outbreak is moving faster than our efforts to control it.

“If the situation continues to *deteriorate, the consequences can be catastrophic in terms of lost lives but also severe socio-economic disruption as well as a high risk of spread to other countries.”

Ms Chan met the presidents of Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast.

She told them: “This meeting must mark a turning point in the outbreak response.”

People dedicate their life to their profession and know the risks. Not just the health care workers, but also the scientists who go in there to study it. They understand the risks, but also know how to mitigate the impact. If it weren't for the frontline workers - doctors, nurses, priests, scientists, etc. - we would all be worse off!

People dedicate their life to their profession and know the risks. Not just the health care workers, but also the scientists who go in there to study it. They understand the risks, but also know how to mitigate the impact. If it weren't for the frontline workers - doctors, nurses, priests, scientists, etc. - we would all be worse off!

Yeah, I mean to actually know about it and understand it you have to get near it at some point.

My point is I have not heard of other health care workers deaths in previous out breaks. Its my suggestion that all viruses mutate over time and this has become one that has different properties.