The 3 principles of happiness... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

The 3 principles of happiness...

I like these principles a lot, so much so that I'd like to simplify them even further just for my own ease of rememberence. Take it or leave it as you like.

1. Action
2. Aspiration
3. Acquiescense

It is very much in line with three other principles I have adopted pertaining to learning:

Discover
Dispute
Acuiese

I've been thinking about this and I've decided to simplify them for myself as such...

The principle of service: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." What you give to this world is what you shall most likely receive from this world.

The question: What can I do for others today to make the world a better place?

The principle of integrity: "To thine own self be true." and "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Know yourself and what you aspire to be and change the world by becoming it.

The question: What am I doing to express and challenge myself today?

The principle of wisdom: "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Seek to know what truly matters in life and let go of the things that do not.

The question: What truly matters to me?

I believe if you live in accordance to these principles then boredom will forever be banished from your vocabulary and you can begin living life to its fullest potential.

Reactions: Wyote
I've been thinking about this and I've decided to simplify them for myself as such...

The principle of service: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." What you give to this world is what you shall most likely receive from this world.

The question: What can I do for others today to make the world a better place?

The principle of integrity: "To thine own self be true." and "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Know yourself and what you aspire to be and change the world by becoming it.

The question: What am I doing to express and challenge myself today?

The principle of wisdom: "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Seek to know what truly matters in life and let go of the things that do not.

The question: What truly matters to me?

I believe if you live in accordance to these principles then boredom will forever be banished from your vocabulary and you can begin living life to its fullest potential.

I'm very interested in understanding "happiness" and I've thought about it a lot. I'm generally of neutral mien but with situational ups and downs. I like your principles. Indeed, I like that you call them principles and not rules! Yet, I have to admit that, even at the age of 59, I still haven't come to any general conclusions about how to be happy. I have found, through experience, what works for me. Generally, happiness for me happens either spontaneously, in the moment, or after long, persistent effort where gratification has been postponed and then finally achieved. The former can be a simple thing such as waking up on a beautiful morning or listening to great music. The latter might be, for example, the happiness of accomplishment that occurs after finishing a long term engineering project that yields a new product that really affects peoples' lives and, therefore, gives meaning to my own.

"To thine own self be true." This has been particularly important to me especially after I finally began to understand myself. Obviously, it's hard to be true to yourself if you don't know yourself. Some of us INTP's take a long time to know ourselves. On the other hand, for some INTP's it's fairly easy to be alone, confident in one's thoughts, and totally uncaring and oblivious about peer group pressure. This keeps things simple.

I do have to say that, getting older, having a family and a good marriage has made me happy. Aside from the physical decline of aging (I'm ever a workout fanatic), for me, the anxieties of youth, uncertainties of career, and earlier financial worries are long forgotten and have yielded to experience. Life is emotionally easier as you get older and have learned from your experiences. You realize that you've gone through so much that one more difficulty is taken in stride. Of course, it's really important to be surrounded by family and friends who are supportive and caring.

I'm very interested in understanding "happiness" and I've thought about it a lot. I'm generally of neutral mien but with situational ups and downs. I like your principles. Indeed, I like that you call them principles and not rules! Yet, I have to admit that, even at the age of 59, I still haven't come to any general conclusions about how to be happy. I have found, through experience, what works for me. Generally, happiness for me happens either spontaneously, in the moment, or after long, persistent effort where gratification has been postponed and then finally achieved. The former can be a simple thing such as waking up on a beautiful morning or listening to great music. The latter might be, for example, the happiness of accomplishment that occurs after finishing a long term engineering project that yields a new product that really affects peoples' lives and, therefore, gives meaning to my own.

What you seem to be describing are two different things. A lot of people like to think that short term satisfaction is happiness. That is only an emotional state and it will pass as quickly as it came. True happiness seems to come from living in a way that adds meaning to life. It is a sense of contentment that is not momentary but which is carried along all throughout life. True happiness is a way of life; a state of being.

"To thine own self be true." This has been particularly important to me especially after I finally began to understand myself. Obviously, it's hard to be true to yourself if you don't know yourself. Some of us INTP's take a long time to know ourselves. On the other hand, for some INTP's it's fairly easy to be alone, confident in one's thoughts, and totally uncaring and oblivious about peer group pressure. This keeps things simple.

I do have to say that, getting older, having a family and a good marriage has made me happy. Aside from the physical decline of aging (I'm ever a workout fanatic), for me, the anxieties of youth, uncertainties of career, and earlier financial worries are long forgotten and have yielded to experience. Life is emotionally easier as you get older and have learned from your experiences. You realize that you've gone through so much that one more difficulty is taken in stride. Of course, it's really important to be surrounded by family and friends who are supportive and caring.

And it is from that very kind of experience that I have gleened these principles. I read John Izzo's, "The Five Secrets You Must Know Before You Die" in which he interviewed over 200 people ages 60 to 106. For someone younger like myself, I simply wished to sum up the wisdom that those people shared from their combined life experience into a few words I could live my own life by in hopes of maximizing my own happiness. I feel that these three principles can help me live a life of no regrets and building the relationships and memories that I can carry on to old age.

I feel that these three principles can help me live a life of no regrets and building the relationships and memories that I can carry on to old age.

You seem to be on the right track. Keep working on it and let us know what you learn so we can learn, too. There is greater wisdom in a plurality (something I discovered from my one experience on a jury).

Control is an illusion of ego. We are ultimately only obedient to ourselves. Life is about balance not mastery.

Life is balance and if you don't master skills and understanding for it, you will never able to achieve that balance.