Talk about your computer set ups | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Talk about your computer set ups

This was a very enjoyable video

Reactions: Wyote
For those of you thinking about building an ESXi box, AnandTech just put up a review of the mobo I used here - pretty good coverage

Reactions: Wyote
Got a personal fleet of machines spanning from the 386 on up to a 4th gen 12 core Xeon system, got too many systems to even list lol. Some of these systems are pretty exotic for their time along with some rare graphics cards.

So you have a sparc rackmount server?

I would if I had the opportunity, same goes for any SGI systems like the Onyx ect. I do regret passing up on a Itanium system and a boxed pair of Pentium 2 Overdrives (socket 8) as they go for around $400 a pop these days. Sold two Thinkpad Transnotes last year and my Compaq 286 SLT as well.

My SO is building a computer right now (combo gaming/ music).

New Egg is sketchy. Don't get your parts from them. They gave him the run-around when he was ordering the parts – split the order into sections and then the most important section (containing the motherboard) "went missing". It was a huge headache and took calling back and forth all day to resolve. When we finally received the stuff, the motherboard was defective. Despite buying insurance, sending photos, etc, they're giving us a hard time about it. It's been over a week and nothing is resolved yet. One item he bought was missing from the order, too. I wouldn't mention it, but I'd hate for anyone else to go through this.

Reactions: jkxx and Wyote
My SO is building a computer right now (combo gaming/ music).

New Egg is sketchy. Don't get your parts from them. They gave him the run-around when he was ordering the parts – split the order into sections and then the most important section (containing the motherboard) "went missing". It was a huge headache and took calling back and forth all day to resolve. When we finally received the stuff, the motherboard was defective. Despite buying insurance, sending photos, etc, they're giving us a hard time about it. It's been over a week and nothing is resolved yet. One item he bought was missing from the order, too. I wouldn't mention it, but I'd hate for anyone else to go through this.

Newegg is cancer and I stop buying from them for big orders back in 2011, morons shipped a batch of brand new hard drives without any packing material at all so they were free to move around in the box during shipping. Even eBay is better :/

Reactions: jkxx, Wyote and Asa
Newegg is cancer and I stop buying from them for big orders back in 2011, morons shipped a batch of brand new hard drives without any packing material at all so they were free to move around in the box during shipping. Even eBay is better :/

Whoa! Sketchy!
He went with them because our buddy who regularly builds computers uses them. They ordered the parts together. Then after we made the order our friend said they're unreliable. Haha. It isn't good.

Reactions: jkxx and Wyote
Whoa! Sketchy!
He went with them because our buddy who regularly builds computers uses them. They ordered the parts together. Then after we made the order our friend said they're unreliable. Haha. It isn't good.

Amazon sometimes has good deals but the prices are a tad high at times so I mostly buy from eBay, bad sellers get shit ratings pretty quickly so regular sellers have learned to actually pack their items.

Reactions: jkxx and Asa
This is the laptop I use for daily use, holds up very well to be honest plus it is a tank. Magnesium roll cage with aluminum body panels, good audio with sub woofer, strong hinges so no wiggle screen bs, display panel is well protected so no retarded screen flex, and the cherry on top is that is has controllable fans (utility). Holds 4 hard drives which is a big deal for a laptop plus it is easy to service minus the shitty flat flex cables that are so common with laptops.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Alienware-M18x-R2-Notebook.77048.0.html

Reactions: jkxx and Asa
@Asa
I have rarely if ever had problems with Newegg (been using them a ton since 2001 and I do buy a bunch of computer stuff) so it's surprising they would provide you with such poor service, not that I don't believe it. Did they reverse course and reimburse you (in case you told them you'd post your experience with them in public)?

Though admittedly the above advice applies more to Comcast than any normal outfit or retailer.

@jkxx - We're still waiting for the return authorization for the motherboard. We were supposed to receive the authorization and a UPS label last week. We haven't threatened them with public badmouthing. I don't plan to Yelp or Tweet about it, or anything. I mentioned it here because it is relevant to conversations and people's interests. My SO is more the type to call the Better Business Bureau. We have insurance on the entire order, too. The problem is, Newegg gets their supplies from all different companies, so it isn't even really their fault, it's the other company that is goofing up, but Newegg is responsible for it.

Reactions: jkxx
Yes they are and this brings more clarity into it - in this case I'm hoping it's a clueless underling who is holding things up for you unless it turns out to be a systematic problem. I didn't mention that most of their mistakes have been in my favor such as selling me a $3000 server for half the price some 13 years ago. Though if they are doing this already that would mean they are no different from amazon where it is difficult to say why something didn't work out when it doesn't - have had problems with them recently ordering rare books which fail to turn up after weeks and then I hear they didn't have the book in the first place.

Retailers are annoying when they screw up.

@Roses In The Vineyard - that is a desktop in a laptop form factor right there.

Reactions: Asa
Japanese capacitors in PSUs discussed, GN feat. JonnyGuru

Last edited:
@jkxx It looks like NewEgg is screwing us over. Even though the stuff they sold us was faulty, and we bought insurance, they're refusing to replace it. We may actually need to go the social media shaming route, which we've never done before. Considering this is a very expensive situation, we can't let it go and count our losses. They're ripping us off. I'm absolutely never going to purchase from them again. It sucks that this is happening. :(