Talk about your computer set ups | INFJ Forum

Talk about your computer set ups

BZ3y0JZh.jpg

Here's my Gaming PC :hearteyes:
:m096:

Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING
Intel Core i7 5930k: 6 Cores/12 Threads @ 4.7 GHz (100 BLCK x 47)
32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz @ Cas15
Asus ROG STRIX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB Boot Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Gaming Drive
Western Digital Blue 2 TB Storage Drive
Housed in a Corsair Obsidian, powered by Corsair RM650X, cooled by Corsair H100i V2

Peripherals are a Samsung U28E590DS Monitor (28 inch @ 4k), a Corsair Strafe RGB Keyboard, a Corsair Scimitar Mouse and a Corsair Void Wireless Headset

RGB Lighting by Asus Aura

Now, who can do better? :m105:

Last edited:
Now that is a truly sweet gaming machine there. The jonnyguru review on that PSU gave it very high marks [not that the rest isn't impressive I just love reading PSU reviews]

I have a potato space heater. My monitor stand is probably worth more than my computer.

My CPU fan died and I ended up with a heatpipe cooler because on sale it was cheaper than just a fan. When I'm playing something like Far Cry 5 it really pulls out the heat and throws it straight into the room. It blows vertically straight through top vents in my case.

BZ3y0JZh.jpg

Housed in a Corsair Obsidian, powered by Corsair RM650X, cooled by Corsair H100i V2

Peripherals are a Samsung U28E590DS Monitor (28 inch @ 4k), a Corsair Strafe RGB Keyboard, a Corsair Scimitar Mouse and a Corsair Void Wireless Headset

Dayum, heavy duty.

BZ3y0JZh.jpg

Oooo, purply lights

:d'oh:I don't know jack about game machines, bahahahahaha :threadinvader:

Oooo, purply lights

:d'oh:I don't know jack about game machines, bahahahahaha :threadinvader:
I've set the lights to rotate along all the colors of the rainbow.

1PGKdkbm.jpg
btk3jqDm.jpg
3kia43km.jpg
RUKv4Fbm.jpg

Cool right :blush:

Unfortunately, the Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM series hadn't been released yet when I build my PC, otherwise they'd be lighting up as well. I mean, look at it... *drool*
upload_2018-6-23_12-13-15.png

And then there are these Corsair RGB Fans... I'm a Fangirl! Hur hur.
bWFpbmltYWdlcy82NjkyM19tYWluXzE2NjgxLmpwZw==.jpg

I'm turning into Linus Tech Tips here. :grin:

Now that is a truly sweet gaming machine there. The jonnyguru review on that PSU gave it very high marks [not that the rest isn't impressive I just love reading PSU reviews]
Absolutely! Very happy with the PSU. I love its power-surge/short-circuit protection. Once I had a short power-outage in my building (5 seconds max), and my PC just kept running through it.

BZ3y0JZh.jpg

Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB Boot Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Gaming Drive
Western Digital Blue 2 TB Storage Drive

Dayum, girl, this is my dream!

I definitely need a newer graphics card (and perhaps also a new CPU), because I can't even buy/try Quantum Break (which is currently in Steam's summer sale) for the minimum system requirements.

I too have an ASUS motherboard, with an AMD FX-8320 8-core processor (3.5 GHz)
8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM kit
MSI gaming NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

and the rest is too pitiful to talk about.

I definitely need a newer graphics card (and perhaps also a new CPU), because I can't even buy/try Quantum Break (which is currently in Steam's summer sale) for the minimum system requirements.

Specs are often higher than necessary. Nier: Automata says it wants even higher specs than Quantum Break yet I can run it at 50 fps on a GT 1030.

That doesn't mean that it'll actually work though. Some times they actually want what they say.

Can't get enough of @Lady Jolanda's machine although I don't like RGB lighting so although all my systems have it it's turned off.. except in the server since it's a nice red glow in the black background inside the machine and that's all right.

I have a potato space heater.

@Wyote, I believe a comment is in order here :D

Except I really like the FX series since they are so useful and capable despite their reputation on the internets.

Systems here

The desktop - an inconspicuous black tower designed to be overlooked

Fractal Design R4 (sound dampening)
AMD Ryzen 1700X in ASUS Prime Pro X370 (overkill VRM with bolted on metal heatsinks; bonus for the plain look)
Seasonic 660XP2 PSU [in OklahomaWolf's own words

Go on. Pick up the nearest dictionary and look up "rock solid." Did you see a picture of this unit next to the entry? You should have, because once again Seasonic is just killing it for voltage stability. 0% regulation on both minor rails. Wow. And look what it takes to get those rails to even move a little bit... you need to throw the whole 125 watts of combined maximum on those two rails to do that.

Not impressive enough for you? Go back and look at the low load test. Yes, this thing did 0% regulation on the minor rails from 10-100% loading. Still not impressive enough? Look at the 12V numbers. 0.8% regulation, there. And that's not just in the main series of tests, no. That would already be incredibly impressive. This bad boy is giving you that 0.8% number on all the tests I've done so far. Heavy 12V crossload? Still within 0.8%. No 12V load at all? Still within 0.8%. Low load test? You guessed it... still inside that 0.8% number.

Tell me you're not impressed yet. I dare you. Do it, so I can have you look at the efficiency numbers next. 80 Plus Platinum requires tests one, three, and five to hit 90%, 92%, and 89% respectively. Do you know how hard that is, to get a clean pass for Platinum on my power meter? It's so hard that it made it necessary to implement my 1% error tolerance rule, just so any units would pass. I can't afford the ridiculously expensive power meters 80 Plus uses, so mine tends to err on the side of ever so slightly over-reporting power draw. This unit... this fantastic unit... pretty much pole vaulted over my requirements for the Platinum mark. Forget the 1% rule, it doesn't need it. In fact, this may be the first unit I've ever tested to stay above 90% throughout all five progressive load tests.
[from here, page 3] - also uses Infineon MOSFETs [German engineering at its finest] and high-quality Nippon Chemicon caps; ball-bearing cooling fan although it doesn't need it.

because the PSU is probably the most interesting component in this build
16 GB (2x8GB) G.Skill DDR4-3200 RAM @ 14-14-14-34 operating at 2933MHz due to Zen 1's problems supporting higher speeds - computer has tons of memory errors when running it at the 3200 speed.
Intel SSD 730 for Windows [240 GB]
Mushkin Reactor 1 TB SSD for train sims/steam
2 x Seagate Constellation 3 TB drives for storage <----- don't ever buy these, 100% failure rate on them, 3 out of 3 with errors
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
HT Omega Fenix (coax spdif to Matrix Mini-I for serious listening, don't really care about its analog outputs)
Noctua NH-D15 SE/AM4 cooler
Win 10 Home (with some very nonstandard drivers)

The gateways (2 both identical)
Supermicro A1SRi-2758F with 2x4 GB SODIMM ECC DDR3
FreeBSD OS
Supermicro 1U rack chassis

The server
Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Asrock Fatal1ty x399 Professional Gaming motherboard [supports VMWare ESXi + ECC UDIMM RAM]
4 x 16 GB ECC RAM @ DDR4-2400 (64 GB)
4 x Intel SSD DC3500 1.6 TB for astro server storage
2 x Muskhin Reactor 960 GB SSD (RAID 1) for VMware ESX
LSI SAS 3108 HBA (1 GB onboard RAM, hardware RAID)
GeForce GT710 because monitor output is needed
Supermicro SC-842 4U chassis
Noctua NH U9 TR4 cooler

NAS
AMD FX8370 in GA-990FXA-UD3 [ECC support]
8 GB ECC DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz
FreeNAS [FreeBSD]
2 x WD RED NAS HDD @ 4TB, formatted as ZFS

Meltdown central
*for messing around with the Meltdown and Spectre exploits, no firmware updates,etc
Dell Optiplex 990
Intel core i5-2400S in their own generic motherboard
8 GB RAM
Seasonic S12-II PSU of some wattage

Also going off on a tangent but the Matrix Mini-I [1st revision] is based around the Analog Devices AD1955 DAC (dual mono) which is extremely melodical although the built-in headphone amp doesn't do that great with "natural" music featuring guitars and other instruments. For that there is the Schiit Valhalla with its Soviet (the tubes actually said Сделано в СССР when it arrived) 6N1P+6N6P triode set up. Recommending both for anyone really into listening to music.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean that it'll actually work though. Some times they actually want what they say.

It depends on the game engine - UE4 will run well on anything, whereas DoveTail's Railworks engine runs like crap even on my current system - they just didn't do a good job and never bothered to improve its performance since releasing the thing in 2007. And you get all the shades in between.

Toshiba Satellite laptop
Intel core i3 M370 - 2.40GHz
4GB RAM (3.80GB usable)
Intel Integrated Graphics
I can have like 3 simultaneous tabs open in my web browser without crashing the machine. Excellent multitasking power!
In windows task manager they have these constant live ratings that you can see for your system. My CPU and memory are frequently rated in the 95 - 100 percentile which is obviously THE BEST.
Optical drive INTEGRATED INTO THE LAPTOP. It's like a DVD player INSIDE my computer!
Runs PSX, NES, and SNES emulators like butta!
Integrated knee warmer fan runs high-output year round. No cold knees in summer OR winter.

I'm thinking of downgrading because I don't really need all this power and my knees don't need as much warming in the summer.
Will consider trade. Serious offers only.

My phone is probably more powerful than my computer at this point tbh. I bought it like seven years ago and it wasn't even top of the line exactly back then. I just wanted something that would run a long time. And it has. It's solid. Plenty of RAM, no fuss.

In terms of what it allows me to do, likewise with the phone, although geeze Google could do some work with their touch screen input on that thing.

Reactions: Ginny and Wyote
Will consider trade. Serious offers only.

Since you don't need the power one of these systems may be of interest. Bonus points for running COBOL, although they are likely to be even better room warmers than your present set up.

Wait this looks a lot like Audiosurf above... though never thought of mixing it with VR. Super catchy song there btw.