Sunblock with High SPF | INFJ Forum

Sunblock with High SPF

bs98r3kjf

Feb 27, 2009
MBTI
none
Enneagram
none
Is it bad for your skin? Is there anything such as an SPF that is too high?

Don't think so. One tend to choose lower SPF though if one wants to get a tan (which may gradually add long-term UV resistance), though regardless it is a good idea to reapply sunscreen/sunblock every 2 hours.

Last edited:
However, if you're in Jordan, or any other desert country nearby, you ought to wear as high SPF a sunscreen as you can get.

I heard that an SPF over 35 is no more helpful than an one of those super high SPFs like 60 or whatever. High SPFS are just a sales ploy.

The higher SPF's are for when you're being active and need longer protection before you can re-apply. THey also stay on better when you sweat.

acd111 is right.

also, make sure to wear one that blocks out uva AND uvb rays.

be mixed like me and it looks like you always have a tan....and you dont get sunburn!

Reactions: jyrffw54
Don't think so. One tend to choose lower SPF though if one wants to get a tan (which may gradually add long-term UV resistance), though regardless it is a good idea to reapply sunscreen/sunblock every 2 hours.

Thanks. I'm not looking to get a tan so I naturally wouldn't go for the lower spf. I'm actually using a 70 spf right now because I'd rather not have to reapply when I'm out for long. If some of it sweats or rubs off, then maybe some SPF actually stays on my skin because it's more concentrated.

However, if you're in Jordan, or any other desert country nearby, you ought to wear as high SPF a sunscreen as you can get.

Thanks. They don't really sell anything higher than 50 anywhere near here but I still have a bottle or two from the US of 70 spf.

I heard that an SPF over 35 is no more helpful than an one of those super high SPFs like 60 or whatever. High SPFS are just a sales ploy.

Yeah but think of it this way. Because the higher SPF sunblocks are more concentrated, they probably still provide a bit of protection when some of it rubs off.

The higher SPF's are for when you're being active and need longer protection before you can re-apply. THey also stay on better when you sweat.

Yup. That's why I'm sort of going for the higher ones.

acd111 is right.

Good point. Thanks for bringing that up.

be mixed like me and it looks like you always have a tan....and you dont get sunburn!

Not necessarily lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
acd111 is right.

Its not so simple.

An SPF rating means the number of minutes exposer you avoid per minute of sun exposer while wearing the sunblock.
So SPF 15 would mean that while wearing this sunscreen, it takes 15 minutes to incur the same amount of UV exposer that you'd get for 1 minute of sun exposer without wearing anything.
SPF 30 = 30 minutes exposer to equal 1 unprotected minute, SPF 45 = 45 minutes etc etc.

HOWEVER its been found that MOST brand on the market do not even have the amount of SPF advertised. Part of this is caused by them not using Zinc and titanium oxide, (natural UV blocking/absorbing substances) and instead using new fangled chemical crap that doesn't do a damn thing.

There are brands out there that do provide the protection advertised though, and these contain Zinc and Titanium oxide, in high amounts. I really wish I had the brands list link but I don't right now, I had it on a printed list but I'll find it later.

And zomg, don't wear expired sunscreen for five hours while sailing in the gulf of mexico. you will have second-degree burns, guarandamntee it.

And zomg, don't wear expired sunscreen for five hours while sailing in the gulf of mexico. you will have second-degree burns, guarandamntee it.
O_O
If that was me I'd be dead, ultra pale is me.
Though, you were sailing so, cool XD. I'd die happy.

I digress... You can make you own sunscreen, if you are really concerned about getting the SPF you want (like you have a family history of skin cancer)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Sunscreen/
NOTE: The stuff used has health hazards when inhaled. So wear a mask. Their not some crazy toxins, its the size of the particles thats dangerous. Once the stuff is mixed you're fine.

I second this... but I know that sunblock for babies is like the ultimate never-gonna-get-burned stuff. (although then you'll smell like an infant sooo.....)

I second this... but I know that sunblock for babies is like the ultimate never-gonna-get-burned stuff. (although then you'll smell like an infant sooo.....)
Well, like I said before, its not so much a marketing ploy as they aren't actually able to reach that amount. The SPF number does have meaning so its not a gimic in itself, they just aren't actually giving you that SPF in the product. Well, sometimes they do, but its not common.

I have to correct my earlier numbers though, its in a multiple of 10, so SPF 30 give 300 minutes of protection. SPF 15 supposedly blocks 92% of UVB rays. Going up from there its %'s closer and closer to 100, but the difference between 30 and 45 is less than that between 15 and 30. Though I don't know how they come up with the 300 minutes or the % UVB blocked, and what comes first. Like do they determine the % blocked and then say it lasts 300 minutes or visa versa?

So you can look at it 2 ways: 1 where you are looking at % blocked, and over 30, the difference is indeed tiny. However, looking at it from the minutes perspective, SPF 30 vs 40 is a whole hundred extra minutes of not being burnt. In that case I'd say its a lot. Its hard to know which numbers matter though, since not all of the levels of harmful UV is even possible to block with any sunscreen right now.

So don't forget your hat.

I am a pale one too...I get burnt with or with out sunblock...I use water babies sunscreen because like some one says that stuff actually works. usually I use 60-70 spf...but like I said i always get a burn regardless. ten hours in the sun will do it to ya...