Stay at home Dad

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
http://www.babycenter.com/400_am-i-being-old-fashioned-if-i-dont-want-my-husband-to-be-a-s_500435_1.bc?sortFieldName=

T
his topic fills me with rage.

tl;ldr

Popular arguments why males shouldn't stay at home with their children.
1) He's supposed to be the bread winner.
2) All men can't multitask
3) The children will like him more
4) The mother birthed their child. They both made the child but, realistically speaking, it's the mother's child first and foremost so she deserves to take care of it and be loved by it.

*head desk*

Men make more money on average then women, it makes more sense then for the man to go out and work to support the family. That of course presupposes that only one of the parents decide to or need to work.

Bam!!! just served you a plate of ham and eggs with a side of logic

Men make more money on average then women, it makes more sense then for the man to go out and work to support the family. That of course presupposes that only one of the parents decide to or need to work.

>_>. You just served me cold hard logic? But that's going to make my plate that is decidedly lacking bacon cold.

OT: Why males shouldn't stay at home =/= Why males should work.

Reactions: Sriracha
Well as I said, if one parent is not going to work the Father makes more sense because he will on average make more money. You can't have two stay at home parents, who would put the bread on the table, the government? (unfortunately that's not only the answer but the reality of the situation)

Well as I said, if one parent is not going to work the Father makes more sense because he will on average make more money. You can't have two stay at home parents, who would put the bread on the table, the government? (unfortunately that's not only the answer but the reality of the situation)

Generally, it makes more sense. A male social worker might make more money than his female equivalent but if the male social worker's wife is an engineer then he needs to stay at home. And you can have two stay at home parents depending on how well you managed your money before hand. It's not practical, nor does it happen often, but it's possible. Honestly, I think the better parent should stay at home.

Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophecy? Wont men continue to earn more if they continue to be unwilling to do "woman's work" and vice versa for women?

And no a man should not stay at home with his children and neither should a woman: it does not serve the interests of our corporate overlords to have individuals living middle class lives (who are neither in prison nor homeless) without both the mother and father working.

Reactions: Blind Bandit

Correct, if you ignore that the average hourly rate vs experience is the same regardless of gender.

*facepalm*

To each their own. There are so many variables here and not ONE of them is right, it is what ever works out best for your situation (and that the parents mutually agree on as well.) On a very fundamental level, babies do not NEED their mothers. They need a responsible CARETAKER which enables them to have the appropriate bonding for their psychological needs.

1) He's supposed to be the bread winner.

Okay, if you want to adhire to gender roles.

2) All men can't multitask

It's a myth that anyone is actually multitasking

3) The children will like him more

Good

4) The mother birthed their child. They both made the child but, realistically speaking, it's the mother's child first and foremost so she deserves to take care of it and be loved by it.

I dont think the mother is more entitled to the child than the father. This kind of thinking just makes it easier for fathers to walk away.

Reactions: Nixie and Reon
To each their own. There are so many variables here and not ONE of them is right, it is what ever works out best for your situation (and that the parents mutually agree on as well.) On a very fundamental level, babies do not NEED their mothers. They need a responsible CARETAKER which enables them to have the appropriate bonding for their psychological needs.

I realize that, it was part of the reason was I was on the fence about making this thread. It just seems odd and plain frustrating that some women would actually prefer a detrimental situation for her family in order to be with her child. Or assume that a man who wants to be with his child and logically understands that he doesn't make as much money as she does is just exceedingly lazy. It's as if mothers expect to be liked just for being mothers instead of being loved, if you catch my drift.

I think this is very interesting [MENTION=362]Reon[/MENTION] Great comments [MENTION=731]Hoggle[/MENTION] (the end is near..*jokes* )

I mentioned somewhere else that I have a student who has 3 young children who is going to school full time. She just got accepted into a prestigious university on a full ride (Dartmouth). She is (she's leaving in a few weeks) active at the university in school politics and academic programs including research on climate change issues for Natives. (my boss does a lot of work on climate change and Native perspectives). She makes no bones about it that she loves to do these things and keeps very busy. Her husband stays at home with the kids while she does all these things. It is her financial aid and her scholarships that fund the family. I admire her, not because she is defying "gender rules" but because she is confident in what she wants and lives her life the way she wants to. She and I had a candid discussion about whether her husband got flak for staying at home and she said that both sets of grandparents had difficulty with it--with his parents constantly giving him job tips--so and so is hiring. However, as a couple they determined that they couldn't afford daycare (it would just eat up his salary) and that she wasn't going to stop getting her education. I think what is best is that parents decide what their goals are and work toward making a successful family regardless of who watches the kids--mom, dad, other family, and daycare are about the only solutions I can see.

Do you think that's fair?

I think the reality is that some men want to stay home with their children... and some women want to work...
The majority of families now a days are not headed by a bread-winning husband and father..
So to pay men more because they are expected to be the bread-winners is ridiculous.
The majority of families in America at least, are reared by single mothers. So if you think people are going to be paid based on who is the breadwinner--then it would make sense to pay women more.

I actually don't think anyone should receive a higher or lower wage based on their genitals.. but perhaps I'm not the most logical of persons..

Very good topic.

I pretty much agree that the stereotypes against SAHD's are pretty unfair and silly. However, in the case of what the OP posted on the website, I understand why the woman would be upset and why she said that. But at the same time, not for the reason she posted, but I understand why she would be frustrated.

My husband's job situation has never really been stable and he recently told me that he wants to quit so he can stay home when the baby arrives. Frankly, I feel men are supposed to work. I don't want to support a grown man and a baby. I'd like us both to continue our careers. Am I being old fashioned? What should I do?

Since she and him both work, I can see how it would be upsetting that he would want to quit, meaning she would have to pick up more hours and have less time with her baby. However, that still doesn't make her "I feel men are supposed to work" fair or valid... But at the same time, it seems she wants to spend more time with the baby too.

Also, another woman said:
Don't do it. You don't feel comfortable with it, and that is your right. As mothers, we carry that baby as a part of us for so long, we have that spiritual bond, we have instincts, and men ARE supposed to support their families... Instincts are instincts. You cannot change them. Women are designed for motherhood. Women have a connection with their children that fathers cannot even begin to fathom.
Which is unfair to speak on behalf of all families, but after I read she posted this:
My husband refuses to work. I had to go back to work to keep us from getting evicted. I got to stay home for the first 9 months, but he has been home now for 15 and still is sitting on his buttocks not doing laundry or making dinner or cleaning house on a regular basis. He will do one of each maybe once a week and expect to be applauded for it. Granted, he is in college now, but I had to give up my own college to allow that to happen. (Maybe then he can keep a job). All I am saying is be careful. Don't rationalize. Just because it has become more socially acceptable does not mean you have to be comfortable with it. You will never get this time back.

After that, I think she was also trying to warn her. Doesn't make her statement true for everyone, but I understood. There are a lot of good SAHDs. But, I think some men will falsely take this term to take advantage, to unfairly to shoulder all the financial burden on women who want to spend time with their families too. In my opinion, men like that are just as bad as women who demand to be taken care of. It's a shame because those few men pollute the term SAHD for the ACTUAL dads who are committed to their children, like the one below:

First of all, you should clarify stay at home dad by choice versus just unemployed. I like the post that said that men can't multi-task. It seems to me that men should not be generalized when describing one's choice of a partner. I am a stay at home dad with three young children, and all my wife has to do is come home and play with the kids. I cook, clean, pay bills, service the car, shop and do home improvement projects. And yes, it is apparent that I am in a minority as I am usually the only father at the playground in the middle of the day during the week. My wife has admitted that she lacks the patience to deal with the kids all day everyday.

I see it as a case of a few bad apples giving a bad name for the rest.

Reactions: Reon
I had a stay at home dad, as well as a work at home mom.

I personally loved that my dad was available so often. So many of my friends' dads were never in their lives much. They were the guy who was gone all the time-- making money, hanging with buddies, watching sports. Sure, they helped have the kid and they loved it, but it was not as close as a relationship as mom and child.

My dad, for example, was a much bigger part of my life. He was busy sometimes-- grocery shopping, cleaning, doing bills, fixing stuff, watching TV, going on the computer-- but he was always there for us. If I forgot something, he'd bring it. If I needed help on homework, he'd help me. If I had to go somewhere, he'd take me. If I needed someone to talk to, he'd hear me. He taught me how to fix a car and how to pay bills, but also how to save on groceries and clean the kitchen. My dad took my sister to school and picked her up every day and he was one of the only guys there. He'd go to my sister's and my concerts or other events and be the only dad not checking his email, catching up on news. Instead he bought flowers for big events and taped us. Even when my mom was busy working, my dad would come and watch.

True, my dad also was so much a part of our lives when he worked, but I think everyone should have this chance.

I am so sick of "men work women cook." What does it really matter, as long as a child has someone that loves them and takes care of them?

Your logic assumes two equally educated parents working equal level jobs. If the mother has a JD and works as a lawyer while the father is a struggling artist, she will earn more. If both parents worked (which is more than common nowadays) and the father had a good job but was laid off, the mother's now the bread-winner by default. If the father changed careers while the mother had been in the same career for 15 years, he will more than likely start at a minimal salary once again.

Lastly, is assumes that the choice is voluntary.

Six quote replies to one post geeze, I must be setting records.

alright let's see if I can salvage this, first off ACD my post was about practicality not about what is or is not fair. Next IJ, the statement is based of a salary not hourly pay. Lexerst, yes I am assuming that the parties are equal, it wouldn't make much since for me to compare a dock worker to a lawyer. Also, I have no idea Dragon if men continue to be the bread winners of a family will cause the trend of greater payment to men over women will continue. Though it definitely won't change the way things are currently done if left the same.

Finally and in conclusion, holycrapthiswassupposedtobealightheartedjokeresponcewhichwasindicatedbythesize4fontandexclamationpoints!

Six quote replies to one post geeze, I must be setting records.

alright let's see if I can salvage this, first off ACD my post was about practicality not about what is or is not fair. Next IJ, the statement is based of a salary not hourly pay. Lexerst, yes I am assuming that the parties are equal, it wouldn't make much since for me to compare a dock worker to a lawyer. Also, I have no idea Dragon if men continue to be the bread winners of a family will cause the trend of greater payment to men over women will continue. Though it definitely won't change the way things are currently done if left the same.

Finally and in conclusion, holycrapthiswassupposedtobealightheartedjokeresponcewhichwasindicatedbythesize4fontandexclamationpoints!
Why shouldn't we concern ourselves with what is fair?
And it seems it's growing more and more unpractical, as more and more children are being raised by single mothers.. so it seems women should at least be paid the same as men...
Family styles are changing. It's practical to accept that. Men don't have to be the breadwinner.

Anyway.. stay at home dads are cool.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't we concern ourselves with what is fair?
And it seems it's growing more and more unpractical, as more and more children are being raised by single mothers.. so it seems women should at least be paid the same as men...
Family styles are changing. It's practical to accept that. Men don't have to be the breadwinner.

Anyway.. stay at home dads are cool.

suddenly-corgis.jpg

Nothing wrong about being a stay-at-home-dad at all. Best to forget worrying about outdated stereotypes and focus on what is best for the family as a whole, given the circumstances at play (financial and otherwise). If that means dad stays home to care for the kids, super. The only important thing is that parents have their heart in the project of raising their family. Love your family and have fun together...that is rule 1.

>_>. You just served me cold hard logic? But that's going to make my plate that is decidedly lacking bacon cold.

OT: Why males shouldn't stay at home =/= Why males should work.
Q

Last edited: