spouting knowledge | INFJ Forum

spouting knowledge

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Blind Bandit, Mar 7, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Blind Bandit
  1. Blind Bandit

Blind Bandit Blind Man Being Lead to Nowhere
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Is it just me or do some people spout knowledge just to sound cool or make themselves sound more interesting? People think I didn't understand a topic or need to have something explained to me. Becasue they seem to know so much.

It seems like some lack confidence, so they have to flaunt there knowledge of a subject. Even worse is when they think you know nothing of it and they feel they need to explain something to you?

I admit I try use knowledge that is applicable. I know as a teen I was bit of of a know it all. I think most teens do this for so time and then grow out of it.

So dose anyone else have this problem with people who just think they know everything and they are so much better than others?

Whats worse is some people to think this makes a person cool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Blind Bandit, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I love know it alls.
    I love spouters of knowledge.
    Because I know nothing.
    I especially have a habit of getting involved with know-it-all guys because
    that's usually the type that is interested in me.. maybe because I just let them talk and talk and talk and talk.

mayflow likes this.
  3. Soulful

Soulful life is good

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Do you think they really think this about themselves, or are we assuming this is what they think?

I'm only asking because I've been thinking about this myself over the last few days :)

4. Soulful

Soulful life is good

Threads:
    MBTI:
    :thumb: I really like your posts merrytrees.

#4 Soulful, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  5. Silently Honest

Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    YANG
    It happens, and yes if you already know the subject matter it can be annoying because they're taking time out of your life to explain to you something you already are aware of, in situations like these, yes it's not you it's them. Unless you genuinely showed signs prior to actually not knowing, in which case this behavior is acceptable, though the times when someone has no true interest in helping you but rather, to use you as a captive sounding board for an excuse to hear himself speak, then it is a problem. I'd suggest ignoring him and going about your business if the latter is the case, no need to waste time you'll never get back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I am very guilty of spouting knowlage to people, at the slightest hint of relevance to the conversation.

I don't do it to sound "smart" I just love to share information and ideas with people. I can't explain why, I just really do. I also watch myself so I don't come across as a know it all, I hate to be labled as one.

As far as other know it all's. I will get along with great, so longer as they don't have an "almighty" complex about them. Or they are pretending to be smart.

7. bs98r3kjf

bs98r3kjf Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    none
    Enneagram:
    none
    I like it when people share their knowledge, even if they're useless facts.

8. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I admire yours and your kindly nature as well.

9. PsilocinProject

PsilocinProject Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    I like having them around. I'm like a freakin' sponge for useless facts. I figure they help me out at one point or another. Even if they don't, why not further one's own understanding of a subject? Any knowledge is good knowledge. :3

Edit: I like know-it-all types if they're humble. If they start acting arrogant, I usually try knocking them down a peg.

10. Zero Angel

Zero Angel Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Possibly 4w5
    I'm a bit of a know it all, but its only because I like to help people out with things they're undertaking -- give them some insight or new ways to look at a given thing.

The only other know it all i know really usually states a bunch of facts that I can't use for anything so thus it gets irritating at times.

11. Creon

Creon Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Lawful Evil
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you implying that I do not possess divine wisdom?

12. efromm

efromm Hiding In My Shell...
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    InFj
    Oh ya usually I just agree with them and try to get away from them asap. The funny thing is other people listen to them and don't know they are full of shit..lol I used to argue with them until I figured out I don't like beating my head against a wall anymore....

13. Zero Angel

Zero Angel Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Possibly 4w5
    Maybe your ego is being threatened, hence the emotional reaction. I know I react harshly against thing when my own ego is being threatened. It's more of an Ni male thing I believe, INTJ's do this as well.

The other know it all I know is the type of person that most people consider a bullshitter. An INFJ can easily discern between truth and bullshit a lot of the time -- so its easy to set him straight since he doesnt argue points -- which is strange, because most people who know him well consider him to be gruff and tactless.

#13 Zero Angel, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  14. alcyone

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    I love it when people tell me about the things they know well. When they do that, I become a little bit smarter about something I knew little of if anything at all.

Even if they are being blowhards, generally there is something to learn from everyone. Even if it is how NOT to do something!

15. Faye

Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I have not met anyone like this in a very long time. People are more likely to ask me questions than to tell me the answer to questions that I did not ask. I guess I don't care very much either way.

I think some people do it habitually and others do it because they are stuck up, and I know that I can't always tell the difference. I often feel stupid, but trying to flaunt knowledge probably wont make me feel insecure about my intelligence or self. I can usually see that people are doing it because they feel insecure, and that completely undermines their efforts in terms of trying to affect me.

16. Bored Now

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    *blows kiss*
    I like know it alls! Can't be a Gnostic and get weird about knowledge. I always think its a strange sort of insult, you know? I think people are threatened by intelligence because it makes them feel lazy and inadequate.

If you tell someone you're good at say... knitting or sports, their response is "Good for you, awesome. I wish I could knit or play sports" Tell someone you think you're smart and their mind looks for ways to disprove your assertion. Or at the very least... try to challenge it. I don't know...I think all information is a gift. I usually tend to judge the person labeling someone a know it all rather that the person being called one. It sounds like 'hater' talk to me..

17. alcyone

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    I think you're smart!

*pulls out notebook and videocamera to record response and reactions*

18. MoneyJungle

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INfj
    I love know-it-alls, when they are concise. As long as you are brief with your random factoids, I find it very entertaining.

19. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    Gnostic? Gnarly!

20. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Airborne all the way!

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    no idea
    watch the big bang theory :D
    watch and you will understand :D