Soul Mates | INFJ Forum

Soul Mates

emmly

Community Member
Mar 23, 2010
MBTI
INTP
Do any of you believe in the concept of a soulmate? And if you do, why do you believe it? Have any of you already found your soulmate? Or are there multiple soulmates for each person?
I'm curious to hear your answers.

Not just one soul mate. I belive that there are more that one person that can make us to feel like we are at home. For me my soulmate is someone that makes me feel lika that, like I am at home.

If we're using the classic definition of soulmate which Wikipedia describes as,

A soulmate is somebody with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, love, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, and/or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul – which is thought to be the ultimate soulmate, the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join. However, not everyone who uses these terms intends them to carry such mystical connotations. Soulmate may also mean sex mate.

then some would say no. And yes, we may rework the definition to fit postmodern sensitibilities but the essence of the term points to one particular person, not many. That's the original concept. In a very postmodern culture where we're taught to look to many different things to feel our needs and wants, and not one thing above everything else, we are encouraged to dismiss the idea that soulmates are real or even feasible.

I think there are those who click on a much deeper and personal level, which is different from our connection with everyone else who may uniquely fill almost all desires and needs, highly compatible, etc, but we may never meet them. And simply because we may never meet them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

It would be flawed logic to say, simply because I don't believe in the idea or haven't met someone who fits the definition of a soulmate, that they do not exist.

Last edited:
no. i think you can love someone so strongly that they feel like your soulmate, that you were destined to be with them, but really it's more of a happy coincidence. right place, right time kind of thing.

People can enslave each other's brains, to the point when they believe they were born soul mates. . . There's absolutely no use in asking them after that.

can you elaborate on that, please?
In terms of my last thread; the illusion of communication. Basically, people reconstruct the world for each other. Then, they get the comfortable illusion that they actually do relate with each other. And may even assume they were born that way.

no. i think you can love someone so strongly that they feel like your soulmate, that you were destined to be with them, but really it's more of a happy coincidence. right place, right time kind of thing.
^^^This^^^

I believe you can meet someone who, like Restraint said, you just "click" with on so many levels, but I also believe that you can find countless people like that. I cannot believe that I'm destined to find my one soul mate out of 8 billion people. I believe that we have the capability to love countless people at a "soul-mate" level, but when we realize this and still chose to stay with the person we're with, that's what real love is. When you realize you could be with so many other people, but you make the decision to be with who you're with. That's love, and with the right person it could possibly feel like you've found your "soul-mate"

Not just one soul mate. I belive that there are more that one person that can make us to feel like we are at home. For me my soulmate is someone that makes me feel lika that, like I am at home.

This.

^^^This^^^

I believe you can meet someone who, like Restraint said, you just "click" with on so many levels, but I also believe that you can find countless people like that. I cannot believe that I'm destined to find my one soul mate out of 8 billion people. I believe that we have the capability to love countless people at a "soul-mate" level, but when we realize this and still chose to stay with the person we're with, that's what real love is. When you realize you could be with so many other people, but you make the decision to be with who you're with. That's love, and with the right person it could possibly feel like you've found your "soul-mate"

Agree. I think the problem with the soulmate concept is that it's not considered a decision to love, whereas "real" or "true" love, is based on a decision to make a committment to someone in response to love.

No, I don't believe in soul mates. I believe that love comes in many different forms and styles. No two styles of social relationship is ever the same. That being said, I don't think there is one person and only one person destined to complete a soul.

Then again, I am usually inclined not to believe in destiny.

I believe in statistical probability.

Reactions: bamf
I don't believe that any two people are destined to be together or that two people can "complete" each other.

As a society, we tend to have such an--ironically--over-romanticized idea of what "love" is when the truth is that the only relationships that last are those between two absolutely ordinary people who occasionally experience conflict but care enough about staying with each other, for whatever reason(s), to work through those conflicts. That's all there is.

I don't believe that there is a person for everyone, either. Some people are just going to be alone, as far as relationships go. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, my mom is always going on about how some day I'm going to have the most wonderful husband and the most beautiful children, and, honestly, I don't even think I particularly want those things, and I sometimes wonder if those things are even possible, logistically speaking. But that's an aside, and I don't know if I'm just going through a melodramatic stage or something.

I'm in a very strange situation right now where I have two very close guy friends who I could see as "soulmates".

One is incredibly similar to me externally. We tend to interact with the world in the same way. We share interests and passions...and not only the interests, but the reasoning behind why the interests, which is more interesting than just sharing interests. We even share values.
The other is incredibly similar to me internally. We think about the world in the same way. Reading his thoughts is like reading my own thoughts. But we have totally different - and possibly complimentary - interests, talents, abilities.

It's WEIRD. I feel constantly like I have to pick one or the other....

So I'd have to say that I don't really believe in the idea of soulmates. Because if I did...I'd have two. And that would just not be cool.

Part of my view on this comes from the fact that people are dynamic, and each person has a choice. So saying "THIS PERSON IS MY SOULMATE!" tends to deny the fact that that person also has a choice.

something interesting i read which relates to this topic: there are apparently more men on earth than women. since the majority of people are straight, this would mean some guys could not possibility have a soulmate of their own, they'd have to share with other guys. lol

I believe in intense connections. It's unlikely we can each only have one.

I believe in soul-mates very strongly. I believe they are a very common occurrence.

soul mates can be for love or friendship...I know in my lifetime I have had at least for...I have lost one, and still cannot fill the void they left...