Societal Divide Between Intuitives and Sensors, A Theory | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Societal Divide Between Intuitives and Sensors, A Theory

When it comes to morality, people seem to forget that "action speaks louder than words"...but that is the thing with Sensors...they are people of action.
While with Intuitives...they like to talk first.

That's just slanderous nonsense

Serously how do you come up with this stuff?

If you follow current events (and i follow them closely) you will find many intuitives are leading the various humanitarian movements

They have understood the meanings behind things and once they have done that they then have the clarity of vision that allows clarity of action

There's a lot of tough love in this thread, but I think it is very important to escape the INFJ special snowflake circlejerk and spend more time understanding the real nature of other personalities. Perhaps this is something the INFJ forum should work on together.

If you stop your INFJ hate drive for a moment and actually open your peepers you will see that actually most of the posts in this thread are digs at intuitives not celebrations of the INFJ type

In fact most of the talk on the forum in relation to that are attacks on INFJ's not celebrations of them and when, on the rare occaision, someone tries to celebrate the INFJ type they rapidly come under attack

I've seen it many times

So rather than try to pull down INFJ's you might consider that the best thing would be for society in general to be more aware of these personality type differences in order to be more accomodating

Diversity is humanities strength. Sensors and intuitives should COMPLEMENT each other, but while some people advocate hammering down the nail that sticks out (INFJ's or introverted intuitives in general) this is not going to be achieved

INFJ's should not be made by bullying or slander or any other pressures to adjust to society....society should adjust to accomodate all types

Last edited:
Reactions: Skarekrow
http://personalityjunkie.com/10/introverted-intuition-ni/

[h=1]Introverted Intuition (Ni)[/h]
By Dr. A.J. Drenth
As with all introverts, INFJs’ and INTJs’ first order of business is an internal one. They enjoy tinkering with ideas, perspectives, theories, visions, stories, symbols, and metaphors. Their dominant function, Introverted Intuition (Ni), serves as the veritable foundation for this inner playhouse. In this post, we will explore the inner workings and manifestations of Introverted Intuition in INFJs and INTJs. Since Ni is a Perceiving function, INJs often report that its workings often feel effortless. When INJs express the need to “think about” something, this means something very different from what it might for other types. Namely, the lion’s share of INJs’ “thinking” or cognitive processing occurs outside of their conscious awareness. Their best thinking is typically done without thinking, at least not consciously. For INJs, “sleeping on” a problem is as sure a route to a solution as any.
Introverted-Intuition-Ni-206x300.jpg
Because it does much of its work subconsciously, Ni can seem to have a certain magical quality about it. In fact, it is not unusual for INJs to be viewed as having some degree of psychic or prophetic abilities.Despite its magical appearance, Ni can be understood on a rational basis. What seems to be occurring is that many INJs have a highly sensitive inferior function, Extraverted Sensation (Se), which gathers copious amounts of sensory information from the outside world, including subtleties that other personality types tend to miss. Their Ni then subconsciously processes this data in order to make sense of it, like assembling pieces of a puzzle. Once finished, Ni generates an impression that seems to come out of “nowhere.” But the fact is that the intuition did not come out of nowhere, but from a synthesis of sensory data gathered from the immediate environment combined with information from the INJ’s own psyche.
[h=2]Introverted Intuition (Ni), Vision, & Beauty[/h]It is often said that human beings rely more heavily on vision than any of the other senses. This seems especially true of INJs, who often report a strong visual element to their Introverted Intuition. They often think by way of images rather than words. Their intuitions often manifest in the form of symbols, images, dreams, or patterns. This is consistent with Jung’s characterization of the Ni type as a dreamer, artist, or seer. There is a distinct visual character to these notions, which is why vision-related terms—foresight, insight, seer, visionary, etc.—are invariably used in describing INJs.
Considering the visual nature of Ni, it is no surprise that many INJs are highly sensitive to beauty—visual, metaphorical, or otherwise. French philosopher and INTJ Jean Paul Sartre confessed: “I’m only a desire for beauty.” Another INTJ, Frederich Nietzsche, wrote that “life is only valuable as an aesthetic phenomenon.” What seems to be of great irony here is the fact that, at least superficially, INJs seem to be valuing aesthetics in a way similar to their typological opposites, ESPs. The apparent reason for this is that INJs and ESPs use Se as part of their functional stack. The difference is that ESPs use Se more consciously, while INJs do so more unconsciously. This explains why INJs, the most otherworldly and abstract types, are often perplexed by their felt need to create beauty and immerse themselves in beautiful surroundings. This represents a common point of difference between INFJs and INFPs. Namely, INFJs tend to have far more refined, sophisticated, and exquisite tastes than INFPs, for whom Sensing is introverted (Si).
[h=2]A Bird’s Eye View[/h]Of all types, INJs are those most concerned with the “big picture.” This can be understood in terms of their Ni, which is the most abstract and forward-looking of all functions. Ni is comprehensive and holistic. Its visions, answers, and insights manifest as comprehensive wholes. Consequently, INJs often feel more like recipients than they do creators of their ingenious ideas.
In his memoir, On Writing, Stephen King, most certainly an INJ type, describes his process of writing novels. He is adamant about the fact that he does not consciously plan or piecemeal the plot or direction of his stories. Rather his stories emerge from his unconscious as preexisting wholes, requiring little as far as conscious effort or planning. Other INJ novelists report similar experiences, feeling that once they have established the spigot to their creative unconscious their ideas seem to flow effortlessly and without volition.
Because of the inherent sense of completeness in Ni-spawned insights, INJs often feel they have been granted a sneak preview of the future, or at least a vision of a possible future. This strong sense of foresight can serve as the driving force behind their desire to see their ideals actualized.
[h=2]Convergence, Certainty & Conviction[/h]While not technically a judging function, Ni often functions in a convergent fashion, providing elegant answers and solutions to complex problems. As discussed above, Ni takes clues gathered by Se and unconsciously pieces them together toward a comprehensive solution. INJs commonly report that the solution arrives through a single flash of insight—an “aha!” moment. This may occur while dreaming or awake, but tends to come suddenly and all at once, like an unexpected gift. INJ philosopher Frederich Nietzsche describes his intuitive process this way:
Something profoundly convulsive…suddenly becomes visible and audible with indescribable definiteness and exactness…There is an ecstasy whose terrific tension is sometimes released by a flood of tears…There is a feeling that one is utterly out of hand…Everything occurs without volition, as if an eruption of freedom, independence, power, and divinity. The spontaneity of the images and similes is most remarkable; one loses all perception of what is imagery and simile; everything offers itself as the most immediate, exact, and simple means of expression.
The powerful means by which Introverted Intuition reveals its solution are associated with a gut sense of conviction and certainty. INJs “know” at a deep intuitive level that it is correct. But they cannot stop there. Once they have received the intuition, they must work to flesh it out. They must articulate and illustrate it in order to render it accessible and useful to others. This is where their auxiliary function, either Fe or Te, enters the picture, helping them unpack their vision, sort of like decompressing a computer file. This process can at times be difficult and painstaking, sometimes taking longer than birthing the vision itself. But in order for others to trust and get behind it, INJs must do their best to translate their vision into words, images, or formulas. For INTJs, this might entail proffering a detailed framework of their proposed solution, including its parts and processes. INFJs may opt for a more metaphorical or narrative approach, using analogies, word pictures, or stories to illustrate their insights.
[h=2]Rectifying Contradictions & Paradoxes[/h]Ni can also be an effective tool for handling paradoxical or contradictory evidence. To the rational mind, two contradictory assertions cannot simultaneously coexist; one of the them must be rendered false. But according to Jung, the unconscious, through it’s innate creativity, is adept at reconciling opposites and transcending paradoxes. An INFJ friend of mine is a champion of paradoxical or Janusian thinking. In our discussions of philosophy, she has sought to transcend traditional categorizations and dichotomies by claiming that knowledge is at once relative and absolute, subjective and objective, temporal and eternal, etc. Again, to the rational mind, which relishes and even relies on such dichotomies, this can be difficult to swallow. When handled via the tools of Ni, however, paradoxes may become more readily comprehensible.

If you stop your INFJ hate drive for a moment and actually open your peepers you will see that actually most of the posts in this thread are digs at intuitives not celebrations of the INFJ type

In fact most of the talk on the forum in relation to that are attacks on INFJ's not celebrations of them and when, on the rare occaision, someone tries to celebrate the INFJ type they rapidly come under attack

I've seen it many times

So rather than try to pull down INFJ's you might consider that the best thing would be for society in general to be more aware of these personality type differences in order to be more accomodating

Diversity is humanities strength. Sensors and intuitives should COMPLEMENT each other, but while some people advocate hammering down the nail that sticks out (INFJ's or introverted intuitives in general) this is not going to be achieved

INFJ's should not be made by bullying or slander or any other pressures to adjust to society....society should adjust to accomodate all types

I'll attack INFJs for being too nice... if you put up with me, you got it coming!!! That is, please love me, you guys are the only ones who will, the rest give me funny looks.

Reactions: muir
I'll attack INFJs for being too nice... if you put up with me, you got it coming!!! That is, please love me, you guys are the only ones who will, the rest give me funny looks.

We have a role to play in society despite what some people might say

They often come to this forum in disguise claiming they are an MBTI type that they are not so that they can attack introverted intuition which is a total mystery to them

They are at once jealous of it and threatened by it

They do this primarily through twisting things to missrepresent introverted intuition

It's darkly fascinating to watch them at work

This is a romantic view showing intuitive as free thinkers and sensors as merely drones. Im not sure why the creativity and innovation of the isfp and isfj are constantly disregarded and just droning along.

For those who get hung-up on the "black-and-white thinking" in the original post:

"There is no such thing as a pure introvert or extrovert. Such a person would be in the lunatic asylum." - Carl Jung

Apply what Jung said about the Introverted/Extroverted dichotomy and apply it to the others. In particular, the Sensory/Intuitive dichotomy. See how our personalities are defined by a series of spectrum that run along sets of polarities, but are never on the polarities themselves? We are the grey between the black and white, the finite between two infinities, et cetera. Well, keep this in mind when reading the Original Post, and it's totally cool In My Humble Opinion. We have to remember not to take every assumption to it's logical endpoint, because then we are playing the assumption artist's game. Do you want to play the assumption artist's game? I do not think that you do...

"LOL intuitive PRIDE y0! AHAHA lol sensors HAH more like LAMERS! Loooool lamers huehueh!" *snort, snort*

We have a role to play in society despite what some people might say

They often come to this forum in disguise claiming they are an MBTI type that they are not so that they can attack introverted intuition which is a total mystery to them

They are at once jealous of it and threatened by it

They do this primarily through twisting things to missrepresent introverted intuition

It's darkly fascinating to watch them at work

use your introverted intuition to tell me what type i am and to divine how high my hate drive is for infjs, muir

This is a romantic view showing intuitive as free thinkers and sensors as merely drones. Im not sure why the creativity and innovation of the isfp and isfj are constantly disregarded and just droning along.

Who said sensors are merely drones?

use your introverted intuition to tell me what type i am and to divine how high my hate drive is for infjs, muir

Your type is your business

I don't think you hate INFJ's, i think you are complimentary to them.....in a kind of give them a hug and ruffle their hair and remind them not to take things too seriously kind of way whilst crucially not discounting their perspectives (humourful but not in a patronising way, because i think you do actually appreciate them)

That's a balance that INFJ's have to strike for their own wellbeing and my impression of you is that you innately understand that

Last edited:

oh

I agree with what [MENTION=2710]jimtaylor[/MENTION] said that there is a creative synergy between intuitives and sensors but for this dynamic to work at its optimum ability it requires each to acknowledge and respect the strengths of the others and how they can complement each other by lending each other their strengths for the benefit of both

Your type is your business

I don't think you hate INFJ's, i think you are complimentary to them.....in a kind of give them a hug and ruffle their hair and remind them not too take things so seriously kind of way whilst crucially not discounting their perspectives

That's a balance that INFJ's have to strike for their own wellbeing and my impression of you is that you innately understand that

oh, well thank you

oh

I agree with what [MENTION=2710]jimtaylor[/MENTION] said that there is a creative synergy between intuitives and sensors but for this dynamic to work at its optimum ability it requires each to acknowledge and respect the strengths of the others and how they can complement each other by lending each other their strengths for the benefit of both
Who did you think I meant?

oh, well thank you

There are those that are overtly anti-infj on this forum and there are those that are covertly anti-infj

I never picked up any such anti infj vibes from you

I only ever picked up positive vibes in general

Added to what else i know about you i built that impression

Reactions: barbad0s
Reactions: the
That's just slanderous nonsense

Serously how do you come up with this stuff?

If you follow current events (and i follow them closely) you will find many intuitives are leading the various humanitarian movements

They have understood the meanings behind things and once they have done that they then have the clarity of vision that allows clarity of action

You will probably find many sensors leading as well. That is the nature of entj entrepreneur and estj manager. Which probably has existed all along, there's just more things to complain about now. This is the same with every other organization estj/entj. From what I understand soon the entjs will go start a new "thing" and the estjs will take over the show. That's how their architype is written anyways.

I've seen it many times

Nails that stick out are dangerous. They can be useful for hanging a picture, but they won't hold the structure together.

Nails that stick out are dangerous. They can be useful for hanging a picture, but they won't hold the structure together.

Who wants to hold the structure together?

I'm not interested in stasis....i'm interested in evolution

You will probably find many sensors leading as well. That is the nature of entj entrepreneur and estj manager. Which probably has existed all along, there's just more things to complain about now. This is the same with every other organization estj/entj. From what I understand soon the entjs will go start a new "thing" and the estjs will take over the show. That's how their architype is written anyways.

Oh sure various types can be found in leading roles

Lucy keeps saying that Introverted intuitives are 'lazy' or not people of 'action' and i'm saying that is total horsehit

What is true is that an introverted intuitive will usually look before they leap but that doesn't mean they don't leap

When they know what they are going to do then they LEAP

Reactions: dudemanbro