small talk? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

small talk?

When put in the corner with someone who is prying, i make stuff up and turn it very awkward towards them.

Small talk........... don't do it ........generally i lapse into often deeply personal conversations , that seem comfortable .
I then wonder what my real calling was?

I love small talk. It's great. Sometimes you can really connect with someone through small talk and learn new things.

C9A3dbd.png

I think when introverts reference disdain for "small talk" what they really mean is conversation that lacks substance and/or conviction. This is a truism for most everyone, but painful or burdensome to endure when socializing is a drain as opposed to an energy filler.

It comes down to how you view the circumstance. If you engage in conversation with somebody with positivity and empathy then you will likely get something out of the interaction regardless of the topic. Sometimes people just aren't able to meet you where you're at and that's ok. You can get whatever that need is from elsewhere and enjoy the things that the person is willing and able to offer you.

I think when introverts reference disdain for "small talk" what they really mean is conversation that lacks substance and/or conviction. This is a truism for most everyone, but painful or burdensome to endure when socializing is a drain as opposed to an energy filler.

It comes down to how you view the circumstance. If you engage in conversation with somebody with positivity and empathy then you will likely get something out of the interaction regardless of the topic. Sometimes people just aren't able to meet you where you're at and that's ok. You can get whatever that need is from elsewhere and enjoy the things that the person is willing and able to offer you.

Some of us are just too deep to take pleasure in the small things, and gratitude for what others are able to offer... ;-)

Reactions: Ren
I limit small talk to strangers, people that I don't know very well and it's manageable but with friends (even acquaintances)....I expect/hope for a little more....some progression - even if it's very gradual.

People who are good at small talk can be wonderful at helping keep the conversation going. It's a skill I would like to improve. I gravitate towards people who enjoy multilevel or multidimensional conversation. It's difficult for me to engage in small talk when I'm in a deep contemplative frame of mind, which is often these days. Small talk or chit chat can be fun if I'm in the frame of mind for it though.

Through my work I'm occasionally impelled into outside events (meetings, seminars, banquets etc.) where small talk with strangers is expected in due course. No matter how many of these things I attend, I never seem to get better at it or more accepting of it. If anything, I find it more burdensome as I grow older, because given a pretty massive sample size I've found that most people simply don't have much that's worthwhile to say. There's only so many times I can listen to random people talk about their kids, their job frustrations, their vacations, and their home improvement projects without completely zoning out. On rare occasions I will hear something new or interesting, but most of the time it's the same conversations with only the names changed to protect the innocent.

I am an exceedingly private person around people who aren't in my inner circle. This does not lend itself well to the sort of small talk that's expected at these sorts of things. As a result, I usually end up talking a lot about work and asking a lot of questions of others because stay the fuck out of my personal business, thank you very much.

It's nice.

Substance chatter takes up a lot of time.

Reactions: invisible
Screw small talk, I just use my mind tentacles to know what the other person is really thinking

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
i used to think small talk was very annoying. i became very irritated by people who are only able to produce very shallow conversation. I'm not sure my opinion on that has changed too much, and i would prefer to maintain a distance from people who have no depth, but I've seen another side of small talk. I think maybe it can be useful in situations when i don't really want to KNOW someone, but i would prefer for them to feel comfortable. is this fake? what do other people think of small talk?

I'm with you. I can't get small talk. But with the whole MBTI thing, small talk takes on a whole other purpose for me now. Now I use it to type people in order to be more relatable to them. You can be pretty sure that the person enjoying the small talk is _S_J or _N_P which gives you a head start.