Should service/military dogs be considered "heroes"? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Should service/military dogs be considered "heroes"?

No. Being a hero would require an understanding of the broader context in which they're doing what they're doing, not to mention the ethics involved. That certainly isn't the case.

I have seen dogs do things that defy explanation if you wish to believe they are not "aware". Pulling other dogs across a road because they were injured. Staying with another dog who was trapped in a hole. Visiting grave sites...i think that while all dogs are not aware, (just like many humans are not) many are. We probably need to start labeling some species as being sentient and protecting them as such.

You can call me batshit crazy, but it grinds my gears when people talk about animals like they are stupid because they aren't capable of what we say we are. Their intelligence is different than ours, doesn't make them not intelligent or less intelligent. They evolved to survive their niche.

There are plenty of accounts of dogs and cats nurturing orphaned prey animals and rescuing their handlers or families when they are not trained to do so. This seems documented more in mammals, who are wired to be more social creatures.

Reactions: just me and Free
You can call me batshit crazy, but it grinds my gears when people talk about animals like they are stupid because they aren't capable of what we say we are. Their intelligence is different than ours, doesn't make them not intelligent or less intelligent. They evolved to survive their niche.

There are plenty of accounts of dogs and cats nurturing orphaned prey animals and rescuing their handlers or families when they are not trained to do so. This seems documented more in mammals, who are wired to be more social creatures.
I agree completely.