Sharing My Experiences on Type Confusion | INFJ Forum

Sharing My Experiences on Type Confusion

Sep 20, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
As some of you might have know, there was a time where I would constantly question my type, I still do, but I feel that deep down I am an INFJ who is just curious like many of you might be, so I thought you might be interesting in reading on how I confused myself with other MBTI types.My cognitive functions have always been wild, though they are starting to get more stable as I am maturing, mood really has a lot to do with it, but I figured when I am at my best I feel like an INFJ, and when I'm going through some drastic change it's when I start testing other types.

A type that has confused me a lot was INTP. I actually thought I was an INTP for a while, but I figured it was do to many reasons, for starters both my J and F functions are borderline making this result possible, and I used to overrate the value of my Ne, so in situations where I would be severely depressed and isolated I would test INTP, as my Fe would go to a pithole, the whole Feeling vs Thinking also confused me, as I thought some of those questions make F's seem as illogical, this is not always true and F's have a way of looking at things that make sense and that T types do not understand. Looking at the questions carefully made me actually see the real value of my Ne, I figured many INFJ's would test INTP and INFP because many of us seem to have a strong Ne.

INTJ is also another type I scored often, again do to my borderline F scores, but then I thought that 1. even though I might have a strong T side, I still put feeling before making decision, I look at how it affects the people and then after wards I would apply my logic which shows a preference of feeling over thinking. through some introspective, I found that at times I have always been overrating the value of my Fi, partly because I thought Fi was a process I needed reason being is that I often forget what is importing to me and how it will affect me, I picked Fi answers not because this is the way I was, but because it was the way I wanted to be, so my Fe preference became clear, My sometimes strong Ti has also confused me, but I figured many INFJ's have learned to develop their Ti, I use Ti as a resource, somewhere I can feel safe upon when I am neglecting my Fe, being a very introverted person I often have relied on my tertiary process, yet I still do put the feelings of others before applying this, not to mention I still feel that lead Ni still describes me perfectly.

Another type that has always given me doubts is INFP, reason being because of my weak J and many of the P stereotypes such as my sometimes lack of organization skills, but an INFJ's way of organizing is not really applied on the exterior world but on the thoughts, at least from what I have learned from many of you, also even though apply feeling to situations, I still felt I was intuition dominant, and that after applying my intuition is when I would apply feeling, INFP's lead with their feeling process Fi, not only did I discovered that Fi was something I wanted and not who I was but that my intuition was a lot more introverted than extroverted, which is why I ruled out INFP.

There was also a time where I thought I was an extrovert(ENFJ), as I have always had this inner urge to help humanity, I would volunteer myself to aid others in any way possible, and have often come out as self-sacrificing, however, after reading much on introversion vs extroversion, I felt that introversion described me better as I need massive amounts of time to recharge, I can be outgoing when I am very passionate about a specific subject, but after wards I would certain need a lot of time on my own..

just wanted to share some of this..xD..also excuse some of my spelling, it gets awkward when my emotions are intense.

Last edited:
Break%20Wall.png

I don't have any other positive input for your thread except for that picture.

I read it though, but I can only say one thing: personality isn't stable + you can't be 100% of some type.
(Except for some factors perhaps)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly how you feel. I was also confused about my MBTI type. I would take the tests and I guess I wasn't answering some of the questions that had to do with thinking/feeling completely honestly and I would get INTJ, and INTP. Then I read the description about INTP and I actually thought it sounded like me. Interested in Science, technology, systems and information analysis or something like that. That sounded almost just like me.

Then, I thought about it more and I realized that I was probably more of a feeler. For a little while I was even wondering whether I was INFP or INFJ, because I'm actually pretty messy and have a horrible problem with procrastination which are characteristics of perceivers and not judgers, but on the other hand I like things planned and structured. So I took the test again and sure enough I got INFJ. I'm actually about 53% J and 47% P. However, I'm still wondering if I'm even INFJ, but I probably am most likely.

still thinking you are INFP :becky:

which description of which type feels most as home for you?

Well I do have many qualities from all INXX types, I think I might be an INFJ but one who has clear INXX hybrid preferences, like Indigo said at times we act like different types depending on situations, and I have decided that for me is INXX, so at times I feel like I belong to 4 types which is completely normal, no one is 100% a type so in a way I am an INFP.

Well I do have many qualities from all INXX types, I think I might be an INFJ but one who has clear INXX hybrid preferences, like Indigo said at times we act like different types depending on situations, and I have decided that for me is INXX, so at times I feel like I belong to 4 types which is completely normal, no one is 100% a type so in a way I am an INFP.

haha, thats great! :cheer2:

And now, for the Democratic, er, Keirseyian response :

- behavior is a better indicator of type than preference
- however, it's authentic behavior that must be assessed
- your behavior (at present) cannot be authentic, given the environment you are currently in
- therefore, your true type is being overridden

Honestly, you are having to hide from others and even yourself some, with your current situation. This will seriously mess with preference-based typing. I would relax with regards to the results until you're in a space that allows you to be you. :)

Hah! I feel ya. I used to score all over the board too. At one point I was convinced I was an INTJ and I was so proud of it, I hung up the INTJ description in my room. INTJ matched myself when I was resolute, but INTP matched myself in that I wasnt as organized or calculating as INTJs tend to be, and I made extensive use of Ti. INFP echoed true too, because the explained my core NF values a little bit. A friend of mine at the time (an INTP, big MBTI fanatic) pegged me as INFJ and it was only until I analyzed it in depth and came across this forum that I realized that I am 100% INFJ. You too are an INFJ, I just know it.

BTW: Is Jester a user named 'Limey' from INTPc?

A type that has confused me a lot was INTP. I actually thought I was an INTP for a while, but I figured it was do to many reasons, for starters both my J and F functions are borderline making this result possible, and I used to overrate the value of my Ne, so in situations where I would be severely depressed and isolated I would test INTP, as my Fe would go to a pithole, the whole Feeling vs Thinking also confused me, as I thought some of those questions make F's seem as illogical, this is not always true and F's have a way of looking at things that make sense and that T types do not understand. Looking at the questions carefully made me actually see the real value of my Ne, I figured many INFJ's would test INTP and INFP because many of us seem to have a strong Ne.

I'm an extreme INTP (100% N, with the others consistently over 80%) married to a strong INFJ, and wow, what a difference between us (not that I don't love it). So, being borderline on some of the functions might be a little confusing, I would imagine.

And now, for the Democratic, er, Keirseyian response :

- behavior is a better indicator of type than preference
- however, it's authentic behavior that must be assessed
- your behavior (at present) cannot be authentic, given the environment you are currently in
- therefore, your true type is being overridden

Honestly, you are having to hide from others and even yourself some, with your current situation. This will seriously mess with preference-based typing. I would relax with regards to the results until you're in a space that allows you to be you. :)

Completely agree. Hang in there, Raccoon guy. Things are never as good as you hope or as bad as you fear. Usually, they turn out to be in the manageable middle.

BTW: Is Jester a user named 'Limey' from INTPc?

I doubt it. Same avatar aside, and notwithstanding that an INTPc member posting here might be on his or her best behavior, Limey (an INTJ) has a completely impossible to hide posting style that is quite different from Jester's posts.