[INFJ] - Sarcasm? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Sarcasm?

Being constantly sarcastic can also be a way of abandoning the search for truth, even of deceiving oneself, just like being overly serious.

I like this alot.. but I also think there's a variety of ways (of humor and joyful contructivness) to not be that serious nor sarcastic. :)
it's all about balance..

I prefer to be purposfully destructive in order to re-construct.

So sarcasm. How do you feel about it and when (if ever) do you use it?
A waste of time and unjustly cruel on the stupid or junior. It's nothing but a totally inappropriate ego trip used this way. Mea culpa I'm afraid in the past.

I despise teachers who use sarcasm to dominate their students, managers who use it to close off discussion with their staff and political leaders who use sarcasm to disparage ordinary folk who disagree with them. It's easier to put someone down with a flippant remark than to answer them properly and it shuts down honest discussion hurtfully.

Sarcasm is great fun and a goad to greatness between wise friends who are equals.

It can be very effective between a master and a pupil of great ability who is already far advanced but needs to be challenged to stretch themselves still further - but there may be little love generated this way.

Last edited:
Sarcasm is a must in my world, but I also know there is a difference between being sarcastic and being snarky. I try to avoid the snarky, mean side of sarcasm, but if I'm upset I have a tendency to make rather cutting comments that lean more on the snarky side of sarcasm. I'm not saying that is the right thing but I am human and don't always react well when someone hurts my feelings. I do believe sarcasm has it's place and can be used quite successfully as a tool. One example of this is Johnathan Swift`s "A Modest Proposal'

Sarcasm is a must in my world, but I also know there is a difference between being sarcastic and being snarky. I try to avoid the snarky, mean side of sarcasm, but if I'm upset I have a tendency to make rather cutting comments that lean more on the snarky side of sarcasm. I'm not saying that is the right thing but I am human and don't always react well when someone hurts my feelings. I do believe sarcasm has it's place and can be used quite successfully as a tool. One example of this is Johnathan Swift`s "A Modest Proposal'

@Marinag - at least you're being honest and I appreciate that a lot - thank you.

So sarcasm. How do you feel about it and when (if ever) do you use it?

People often assume I'm being sarcastic when I'm not or that I'm being serious when I'm being tongue-in-cheek. So I tend to just say stuff, see how it's interpreted and react accordingly.

If it's a humorous clever yet slightly mocking remark on a situation or idea to underline an opinion, ok.
If it's harming and hostile towards a person on purpose .. it is not okay..

I agree with this.

Sarcasm is great, I couldn't live without it, but it needs to coexist with a healthy dose of seriousness, I think.

Being constantly sarcastic can also be a way of abandoning the search for truth, even of deceiving oneself, just like being overly serious.

And I agree with this. Sometimes, humour can be a sort of nihilistic well.

I despise teachers who use sarcasm to dominate their students, managers who use it to close off discussion with their staff and political leaders who use sarcasm to disparage ordinary folk who disagree with them. It's easier to put someone down with a flippant remark than to answer them properly and it shuts down honest discussion hurtfully.

All too common. I cannot stand people who are casually callous.

And I agree with this. Sometimes, humour can be a sort of nihilistic well.

quote-men-should-learn-to-live-with-the-same-seriousness-with-which-children-play-friedrich-nietzsche-87-45-43.jpg

and what about you, @Jeffrei ? (if I may ask back..?) :)

Sure, for me it kind of depends on who I’m around/talking to. If I’m with people I don’t know well, and they don’t seem like the kind of people who would appreciate sarcasm, then I hold off on it. However, when I’m with close friends and we are messing around, sarcasm is like a first language to me.

Sure, for me it kind of depends on who I’m around/talking to. If I’m with people I don’t know well, and they don’t seem like the kind of people who would appreciate sarcasm, then I hold off on it. However, when I’m with close friends and we are messing around, sarcasm is like a first language to me.

Sounds like your know your way around Fe, Jeffrei ;)

I don't know if you guys can relate to this, but when I meet people that I think I may like, I think that I allow myself little sarcastic inroads to see if they bounce off it, or else if it completely goes over their heads. If they do react to it, some subtle preliminary bonding may take place.

I don't know if you guys can relate to this, but when I meet people that I think I may like, I think that I allow myself little sarcastic inroads to see if they bounce off it, or else if it completely goes over their heads. If they do react to it, some subtle preliminary bonding may take place.

Definitely, if I meet someone who gets when I'm joking and when I'm not, that's usually a good indicator that we will get along. Humour is definitely an excellent vehicle for someone's values, but I also wonder about how the humour of the different types relates to the expression of their cognitive functions.

I think sarcasm is fine and I like sarcastic people, so long as they don't over do it. There's so many ways we can express ourselves. I appreciate people who demonstrate wit and variance in their delivery.

As for me, I have my moments. I'm pretty quick on the uptake, but my open;y expressive face doesn't lend itself too well to an especially dry delivery. You can usually tell what I'm thinking just by looking at me and thus, it's rare for me to hit that sweet spot of 'is she serious? I can't tell' brand of sarcasm that's the chef's kiss.

Every time open this site

Every time open this site

If you have some sort of personal problem, there's no need to take it out on the good people here

Um... It was sarcasm? Guess I'm no good at it

Reactions: Wyote