Safe use of Se? | INFJ Forum

Safe use of Se?

athenian200

Protocol Droid
Jun 29, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
I was wondering... are there any "safe" activities that involve use of Se?

The stereotypical Se activities are usually quite dangerous, risky, or dirty.

Are there any overlooked activities that would be safer than things like skydiving, wild parties, and getting drunk?

It's very easy to come up with exaggerated activities that represent the functions, but not more "average" ones.

My goal is to identify Se use in people who don't do "crazy" things, or who might be unusually cautious.

Videogames.

Dancing? Martial Arts? Exercise/stretching? Juggling? It depends on what you mean by "Dangerous, dirty, and risky." Without any caution, skating and freerunning are very dangerous but I've never seriously hurt myself doing either. I don't do risky things, I know what I'm capable of. Anything might be playing orchestral music, playing music within the right time, on pitch, and all that might be Se-ish

Golf.

Drink hot chocolate.

Well, that would be Se or Si. It would be Se if you've never had hot chocolate before, or you're having it on impulse rather than as part of a tradition. Close enough.

Videogames.

I don't know, I'm pretty good at video games. Maybe action games are Se, though.

Yes, that's a good one.
Martial Arts?
Dangerous.
Exercise/stretching?
Yes, but it would depend on the exercise.

Juggling?
Yes, another good one.

Dangerous.
freerunning
I don't know what it is, but it sounds dangerous.
playing orchestral music
Maybe that is Se.

Golf? I don't really see how that's Se. It involves an awful lot of strategy.

So far, here's what I've got:

1. Trying new foods, eating what you have "a taste" for at the moment.

2. Action games.

3. Dancing.

4. Exercise.

5. Juggling.

6. Playing instruments.

Last edited:
What exactly about martial arts is dangerous? The physical contact part can be avoided if need be. The moves themselves aren't too taxing on the body and the philosophy behind martial arts can be intriguing.

Anyways, playing games that involve fast reaction times: Red light green light for example.

Also perhaps cooking? Especially something fast and intense like stir frying. You have to be in the moment to make sure the food is thoroughly cooked but not burnt and there is a fine line between the two. The timing to make sure everything has enough time to cook but not overcook, etc

I don't know, I'm pretty good at video games. Maybe action games are Se, though.

Yes, Action games, Platformers, Fighting games and first person shooters. RPGs aren't usually Se engaging.

No offense, but it seems like you have a really overplayed sense of dangerous activites. And that's saying something as I am very risk-adverse myself. For INFJ's though, learning to use Se actually requires to put us in perceived danger. The key word is perceived, just because you sense danger, does not mean it is there.

I have plenty of Se friends who safely use Se on a regular basis, and they use it well (I have a lot to learn from them), but you would likely regard them as unsafe. Partying isn't dangerous, it can be, but it isn't inherient. Skiing is another example I do all the time, but you'd likely see it as dangerous.

If you want really safe activites then try artistic persuits such as dancing, theartre, 3D art like ceramics. However, I tend to see these as kinda of, well, weak in a sense in the Se department.

Reactions: Kavalan
I played sports in high school, and I occasionally go fishing. I like those activities but what I really don't like about Se are the conversations of people who have that dominant function.

My father the ESTP is a prime example, but he's an extreme case.

My ex, the ISFP was better communication wise, but only because she brought her Fi into play. Her pure sensing conversations would drain me; I could literally feel the energy leaving my body and my attention drifting, much like what happens when my father speaks about his job. He gets overly-engrossed in the details, thinking his intricate descriptions are going to be understood by me. I pretend to listen, just to be nice.

Se activities are OK
but Se conversation is BORING

No offense, but it seems like you have a really overplayed sense of dangerous activites. And that's saying something as I am very risk-adverse myself. For INFJ's though, learning to use Se actually requires to put us in perceived danger. The key word is perceived, just because you sense danger, does not mean it is there.

I have plenty of Se friends who safely use Se on a regular basis, and they use it well (I have a lot to learn from them), but you would likely regard them as unsafe. Partying isn't dangerous, it can be, but it isn't inherient. Skiing is another example I do all the time, but you'd likely see it as dangerous.

Opinion noted. I disagree with the bold.

Interesting.

Another good one, perhaps art in general.

Last edited:
I really don't understand why you disagree. Fears aren't baseless (usually), but just because you sense danger, does that mean it is there? No. I have several friends who are deathly afraid of snakes. Are they dangerous? No. I have been around snakes all my life, domestic snakes are fine. I have met people who the idea of even touching a snake scares the daylights out of them. They see it as unsafe, and that they are going to get bit. Will they? Well, considering the snake has never bitten anyone before, I don't think so. So yes, it is very possible to sense danger when it isn't there. I have said before I am very risk adverse and there have been many times where in hindsight I realised there was close to no risk involved with something, and I picked up on something that was simply baseless or not there. What it came down to is I simply didn't like it, that was it.

And how on earth can you disagree with the fact that my friends, who you have never met, and know nothing about, use Se in a dangerous way? You have nothing to base it on except for your own assumptions on what they are like. That is a huge gross over assumption, and one that is down right wrong. You don't know them, but I do. I know for a fact that they can use Se safely, I have seen them do it, with my own eyes, many many times.

If you think partying is always dangerous, well, that's just pathetic. You might as well be afraid to go over to someone elses house completely and never interact with groups of people if that is the case.

You have nothing to base it on except for your own assumptions on what they are like. That is a huge gross over assumption, and one that is down right wrong. You don't know them, but I do. I know for a fact that they can use Se safely, I have seen them do it, with my own eyes, many many times.
Isn't it also an assumption that they're actually using it safely, and that they're not just lucky, combined with quick reflexes and quick thinking that have probably protected them from the potential consequences of their actions countless times?

Perhaps Se isn't dangerous FOR THEM because they have quick reflexes and quick minds, but it might be for someone like me, because I have slow reflexes and can't think on my feet.
If you think partying is always dangerous, well, that's just pathetic. You might as well be afraid to go over to someone elses house completely and never interact with groups of people if that is the case.
Note that I said WILD partying is dangerous. There are certain kinds of parties that I would attend. Just not the crazy ones, where people are doing things I wouldn't approve of. I might go to a small, tame party where I know a lot of the people, or a formal one. Just not a big, chaotic one, or in an environment that seems "seedy" or "shady."

Last edited:
Isn't it also an assumption that they're actually using it safely, and that they're not just lucky, combined with quick reflexes and quick thinking that have probably protected them from the potential consequences of their actions countless times?

Perhaps Se isn't dangerous FOR THEM because they have quick reflexes and quick minds, but it might be for someone like me, because I have slow reflexes and can't think on my feet.

It isn't an assumption because I am watching them do it, and am actually involved with them. And yes it isn't dangerous for them, meaning it isn't inherently dangerous. It goes without saying if you go scuba diving without knowing what you are doing that it is dangerous. If you know what you are doing, it isn't dangerous. Even so, watching them use Se when they are playing a party game, a park game like tag, or doing some sport, that isn't dangerous. The assumption that Se is a dangerous seeking function is a huge misnomer. It seeks challenges, not risk, both of which are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: basic
who doesn't like a good hit real about sports?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1Rm4KaTns"]YouTube- Lacrosse Hit Highlights[/ame]