S vs. J | INFJ Forum

S vs. J

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
S types are oriented to details, natural organizers, notice their environment, notice changes, can work for long periods of time, etc.

J types like closure, coming to conclusions (judging), organizing, etc.

I've also heard that Jness leads to keeping track of details, being organized, etc.

So how are the two more clearly defined? For someone trying to sort out their S vs. N thoughts, is there a difference between the J/S organization, detail, etc? Is it possible to distinguish between the two?

Talk about something philosphical to them, that will quickly sort out the N v S in most cases (going by life experience).

On another note. I have never become friends with any SJ... I do not like that function set

I know this isn't in-person or 'real-life', but do I seem like an SJ?

I keep trying to figure out whether it really is that I'm S-N balanced or just unaware of myself.

Talk about something philosphical to them, that will quickly sort out the N v S in most cases (going by life experience).

On another note. I have never become friends with any SJ... I do not like that function set

Out of curiousity, how philosophical does something need to be to sort the Ns from the Ss?

Out of curiousity, how philosophical does something need to be to sort the Ns from the Ss?

good question Quinlan!

I think it would depend on the degree of that person's Si/Se function vs. Ni/Ne function.. On the whole, though? I'm not sure..

good question Quinlan!

I think it would depend on the degree of that person's Si/Se function vs. Ni/Ne function.. On the whole, though? I'm not sure..

The S's that I know and have met get bored quickly, or respond with terminal answers and won't question things further. I know this is not the cases with all S's, but for the ones I know, that is what I have experienced.

And trust me soulful, you are not an S, lol.

Just wondering because Fi and philosophy almost go hand in hand at times, and Ss can have Fi.

The way I see it, S-types tend to be really good in emergency situations. They look at the immediate problem, zero in on the one thing causing the biggest headache, and they fix it.

N-types are more long-term. They look at the whole situation, they question the details, and they understand what parts make up the whole. N-types aren't necessarily the best in an emergency crisis, but for long-term solving (vision-casting), N's come out on top.

At least, that's how I view it. Police, EMTs, ER doctors, crisis counselors, etc. make ideal Sensors, because they're seeing the emergency and dealing with it head on. But those guys aren't the best thinkers when it comes to long term planning. I think it can frustrate them.

N-Judgers will take a look at an entire situation and make selections for the long term. S-Judgers need to find the fast answer and they'll organize their paperwork to make things happen for them that day. But if you introduce a new process to an S-type to make their work smoother, they won't like it. The N-types will have a smoother time of it, I think.

Last edited:
A lot of SJs freak out when things don't go according to plan, SPs are the ones "in the moment" who don't stress too much when the shit hits the fan.