S v. N | INFJ Forum

S v. N

BlitheBriley

Mar 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
How can I know through observation whether someone has a preference for sensing or intuition? I think the other dichotomies are pretty clear, but this one always stops me in my tracks. Any key indicators?

through observation...Ok uh...I have noticed, and NO one brow beat me here this is a PERSONAL observation is all...that S types tend to be a little bit more Vein. More narcissistic. They are the shit so deal...
N types seem to be more unsure of them selves physically.

Thats just a personal observation from IRL S types, and N types I know.

Think of someone relaying a story about something that happened to them . . . the Intuitors will focus on meanings and possibilities related to the events, whereas Sensors mostly stick to the facts and details. N's concern: "What does this mean in the bigger scope of things?" S's: "So, that's what happened; end of story."

From a distance?

The eyes.

Sensors have "seeing eyes" Intuitives have "thinking eyes."

Sensors look at people they are speaking with quite intently. Intuits often look off into the distance when speaking.

From a distance?

The eyes.

Sensors look at people they are speaking with quite intently. Intuits often look off into the distance when speaking.

not necessarily...

It's the only thing I can think of, which is accurate in general (but not in every case).
yeah, i do see what you are saying though... and it is a good thought.

use your intuition. ;)

the most reliable way is to observe their mode of communication. as meerkat said, N is more interested in ideas, and S is more interested in action and the observable. this being so, N is much more perceptive of inconsistencies, loopholes, and parallel concepts. they speak well in the abstract, and will use terms that don't refer to anything tangible. sometimes it'll be an SP trying to sound clever, but they're easy to spot, because while they may be speaking, they're not actually saying anything.

S can spot similarities in texture, taste, color, have a better eye for detail, and will either be impatient or baffled when dealing with metaphor. they could also be in awe, but because it sounds really cool, not because they understand the metaphor. they tend not to pick their words by their meaning, instead using approximate synonyms of their choice. SJ's tend to use generic vocabulary that can be applied to any situation. SP's tend to favor words that sound flashy.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I wish I could quanitfy this, but alas I can't. This is one of those things where I can just "tell" (albeit I am not always right). The biggest factor is the overall body language and the vibe the person gives off. Si is usually the easiest for me to spot. It is a very direct presence. The eyes also tell the story well.

This is one of those things where you can derive your own patterns of understanding after some experience with guessing. Interestingly enough though I can explain my thought processes with an individual person and why I see what I see in them.

Reactions: Krumplenump
In my experience, I can tell by type of conversation: topics, language, type of humor. I just need some time to talk and then I usually know.

Think of someone relaying a story about something that happened to them . . . the Intuitors will focus on meanings and possibilities related to the events, whereas Sensors mostly stick to the facts and details. N's concern: "What does this mean in the bigger scope of things?" S's: "So, that's what happened; end of story."

sounds just about right to me.
I'm talking to an S right now and thats exactly whats happening HAHAHA

through observation...Ok uh...I have noticed, and NO one brow beat me here this is a PERSONAL observation is all...that S types tend to be a little bit more Vein. More narcissistic. They are the shit so deal...
N types seem to be more unsure of them selves physically.

Yeah I have an ISFJ friend and these are the main differences I notice between us.

Thanks, everyone, for your observations. I'm definitely going to start paying attention to all the details you posted and see which work best for me.

From a distance?

The eyes.

Sensors have "seeing eyes" Intuitives have "thinking eyes."

I spoke to someone like that the other day but I think they just had two lazy eyes. Unnerving though!

When N-types ponder a question, they tend to look up.

When S-types ponder a question, they tend to look down.