Quiet

i know nothing
Dec 16, 2011
aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
What is your attitude towards rules/laws?
Do you take them seriously?
In what way do you follow the rules?
When do you break them?

I follow rules and/or laws when they make sense to me. I don't follow them when they don't. I am not likely to follow a rule simply because it is a "rule". There are plenty of rules/laws that don't make any sense at all to me. I don't really care if social norms like that or not.

For instance laws that are in place to protect people from being harmed by others make a lot of sense to me. I follow those laws. I would likely do that even if they were not laws though. I don't need threat of consequence to keep me from being an inhumane asshole. But apparently some people do, so it is likely over all a good thing that laws like that exist.

And for an example on the other end of the spectrum, laws that tell me I am not free to smoke a joint in my own house or basically to do whatever I want to my own body as long as it isn't hurting anyone else, can suck my metaphorical dick. :]

For instance laws that are in place to protect people from being harmed by others make a lot of sense to me. I follow those laws. I would likely do that even if they were not laws though. I don't need threat of consequence to keep me from being an inhumane asshole. But apparently some people do, so it is likely over all a good thing that laws like that exist.

This but also, I've never had an issue with following rules, because that's how society is structured. I was never a rebel although I was withdrawn socially. I pretty much did what I was told earlier. Makes me question whether I'm INFP since they're supposed to be rebels of sorts. I'm very much T when it comes to rules. Sometimes, people will complain about rules unnecessarily just to get some sort of attention or they want to be the exception to the rule, and unfortunately people pay attention. To often I see protesting a rule just because there's a rule and they don't like it. They don't think beyond their feelings. To me, protest things which are really unfair and compromise people's rights but not everything needs to be questioned. Sometimes people focus too much on personal freedoms at the expense of everyone else's interest. Not everything is about doing whatever you want. There needs to be a balance.

And I agree that not everyone needs laws to keep them in check. But not everyone can manage themselves. And also, people often tend to not be able to manage themselves without rules. We're often taught to think like kids in this culture. If someone doesn't yell, use a commanding tone, or use some sort of aggressive posturing, then they feel they shouldn't have to follow any rules or show respect or "act right" as we'd say (cultural term). Apparently, they're more special than everyone else. The rule never applies to them it seems. This annoys me. Basics about self respect and respect for others (although I agree that on some level that's earned) should be taught and expected. People shouldn't need rules to put their attitude in check. Even as someone in a position of authority, I'm not going to expend energy putting anyone in check. If you're an adult, you are responsible for keeping yourself in check.

Last edited:
Rules exist to me if they are principled, do not impede integrity, and if the consequence of breaking them harms others. If I'm willing to defy or ignore them, I'm willing to pay, or fight the consequences. Just because rules exist, doesn't mean they've been earned, deserved, or are logical. Sometimes they are made by some opportunistic jerk, or malinformed scatter brains (for example), who want to manipulate or control others. If rules are the means to being harmful to others, then I go out of my way to defy them. The word RULE does not translate to COMPLY in my mind, it translates to SNAG or PROBLEM, and not everyone is a good problem solver. That being said, most rules in my sphere are reasonable, so no need for friction.

I follow rules and/or laws when they make sense to me. I don't follow them when they don't. I am not likely to follow a rule simply because it is a "rule". There are plenty of rules/laws that don't make any sense at all to me. I don't really care if social norms like that or not.

And for an example on the other end of the spectrum, laws that tell me I am not free to smoke a joint in my own house or basically to do whatever I want to my own body as long as it isn't hurting anyone else, can suck my metaphorical dick. :]

This pretty much sums up my attitude towards rules / laws.
Rules are guidelines for the most part. I see no harm in bending the rules as long as no harm comes from doing so.

I follow the rules I like and dont follow the ones that dont suit me. If the benefits out weigh the risks then I will do what I want regardless, and I will use the rules to my benefit whenever applicable. The people who are really held to the letter of the law are the ones trying to enforce them, thats been my experience anyways. I have no problem sticking it to them, and I have no problem holding myself to the letter of the law if I get to stick it to other people either.

I follow the rules and if there are no rules to follow, I make my own. I adhere and expect others to as well! *wink*

i follow rules when it makes sense or when police are watching. If the idea behind the rules/laws make no sense, then I most likely won't follow it.

I especially like to break the traffic laws when I am on my bike. A lot of the laws are stupid when you are biking, so I basically do what I want in stead of what the laws want me to do. Sometimes it's the same thing, but it is not because of the laws that I do it.

Although it can be good to have rules to create common guidelines for how society works, I tend to be very skeptic about it, and would rather make my own decision about what should be done. That's what happen when you have stupid politicians/rulers.

Understand why they are there and the consequences of keeping them/breaking them from immediate concerns to strategic concerns on the level of civilization.

If they are consequence, yes.

As in not going on murder sprees, kicking old ladies and stealing things from people? Not jay-walking and sticking to the speed limit as best I can? Would that even be a case of law or would moral concerns come before that?

The latter for the last question, which is explains my stances on the questions before that.

When do you break them?
Breaking them and following them are not the only two options. As a child I wrote the rules through open reasoning with my parents. I was just, fair and rational enough to win trust and faith. I tried to demolish irrationality, suspicion, breaches or miscarriages of justice and moral absurdity. Where I tried I succeeded.

Candid rational reason and the pursuit of truth was the higher law to me under which all other laws were determined and judged. Breaches of good faith were met with no mercy - only relentless reasoning and tearing apart nonsensical stances.

Last edited:
Generally more supportive, more complementary than breaking. I work under the assumption that the original laws are made to protect the people and it's people mostly that are abusing it to their own ends. In that case, any law could be twisted.

But of course, some laws and rules are made to protect specific groups of people, and that's...what I'd call a bad law.
When I can.

BY not breaking it as much as possible, especially if those will cause me / other people inconvenience / problems.
When do you break them?
2 dimensions; One is, how much of me breaking it will cost me?
Other is, how much of me breaking it will cost others?
When a particular law starts to hurt the people it swore to protect is probably my lowest point. :|
Proooobably I need to develop this particular depth.

- I only care about them when they benefit me and will otherwise disregard them.

- No not really. I act in whatever way comes naturally to me. It just so happens that I am mostly a goody two shoes

- See above. Most of what I do falls within rules and laws.

When do you break them?
- When it suits me to do so or when I don't disagree with them or I think my way is better.

When do you break them?

I believe in the "social contract" view of rules: What benefits me and my fellow man? What is most important to survive this world? As some stated already, I don't necessarily follow rules that I think are either unjust or foolish. But if it doesn't hurt me or anyone else, I'll follow them. For instance, sure, I'll speed on the highway if everyone around me is speeding or if me not speeding will impede traffic. But I'm not going to be the idiot going 80 in a 30 mile zone. Conversely I won't be the one going 30 when the speed limit is 70. Mind you there are always exceptions - but I weigh those when I need to.

What goes on in the privacy of one's home - as long as it doesn't destroy the rights of someone else - is that person's business. If you were destroying your life with a bad habit in your home I'd probably talk to you about it and try to convince you to do something else, but I wouldn't call the cops unless you were going to hurt someone else by your actions.

Some laws are dumb to me, and I'll risk the ticket. But I won't complain if I get the ticket because I knew what I was doing. I'll rail against the system, but it was my choice to break the law.

Also, I have my own "personal" laws that I won't break. If I see someone in need, I'll do my best to help even if it's against the law to do so.