Rules of Life | INFJ Forum

Rules of Life

Nixie

Resurrected
Aug 23, 2010
Oregon
MBTI
ENTP
An excerpt in Charles J. Sykes' book titled "Dumbing Down our Kids".
  • Rule 1: Life is not fair...get used to it.
  • Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
  • Rule 3: You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone, until you earn both.
  • Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.
  • Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.
  • Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.
  • Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.
  • Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
  • Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. You have to do that on your own time.
  • Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
  • Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
Thought this was a great commentary about life after high school and/or college.

Sounds like a George Carlin routine, automatically making those words to live by. So hoping 11 is going to pan out, myself.

I've seen this elsewhere, its pretty good.

I feel like I've heard this all before...

I think that there is only one rule of life, that there are no rules.

I work around college students and many of these rules made me smile. I see so many who are imbued with a sense of entitlement. I see this as a correlation to rule #8--especially when they whine that their classes are hard---it's college, its supposed to be hard.

I like those rules and I used to think some people were in for a rude awakening. I was wrong. In my country the youth population is now the largest and they have the entitlement culture you mentioned. I assure you that I am the one suffering and they are not. They thrive in chaos and their sheer numbers have completely changed a nation. There is only one rule now: Life is not fair...CHEAT! Their values are different so the rules of the game and the objectives are different. Success is defined in a completely new way. It's not new to the world just to me.

Reactions: Gaze
Sounds like a George Carlin routine, automatically making those words to live by. So hoping 11 is going to pan out, myself.

Exactly the thought ran through my mind when I read the list.lol

RIP George. God! Wish he was here with us; he would have had so much material!

I'll compose a few of my own rules:

1. Don't grant anything authority over your life - it's your god damned life and you do what you want with it to keep yourself in a good place for yourself. Nobody knows better than you. Not religion, not politicians, not your parents, not your boss.

2. Likewise and in reciprocation - don't act like you're an authority over someone else's life. (Although... is me telling you this an act of me trying to be an authority over your life?)

3. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry so much. Life is a dance, not a miserable struggle as so many act like it is... and would have you believe.

4. Drink more!

5. Care less!

~ Fin

The only rule I have in life is not to put a dog in man's suit.

Seems like pretty sage advice. However, I think that for most - hindsight is 20/20.

I'll compose a few of my own rules:

1. Don't grant anything authority over your life - it's your god damned life and you do what you want with it to keep yourself in a good place for yourself. Nobody knows better than you. Not religion, not politicians, not your parents, not your boss.

2. Likewise and in reciprocation - don't act like you're an authority over someone else's life. (Although... is me telling you this an act of me trying to be an authority over your life?)

3. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry so much. Life is a dance, not a miserable struggle as so many act like it is... and would have you believe.

4. Drink more!

5. Care less!

~ Fin

Okay, they are good ... but when I came to the last one ... I let out a laugh. Tellin' this INFJ to 'care less' ...hahaha. You silly INTJ.

No comment.

A great rule:
Don't be dumb*
*if drunk, modified to: Don't be too dumb

Okay, they are good ... but when I came to the last one ... I let out a laugh. Tellin' this INFJ to 'care less' ...hahaha. You silly INTJ.

The last two are usually meant to go together. Rule 4 helps MONUMENTALLY with rule 5 - and is my personal mantra for life.

These rules are such downers, I have heard them all before and some of them I disagree with. I prefer positive rules that actually get you what you want out of life, rules like goals, positive thinking and right action will always get you ahead in the end. I don't believe in free lunches but I also don't believe we are bound for a life of misery, I don't think most people plan that hard or work that hard and the ones that do are the ones that are making all the money and that's where rule #1 comes in; He who has the money makes the rules :D :p

Reactions: Gaze
He who has the money makes the rules, Until the man with the guns takes it all away....

He who has the money makes the rules, Until the man with the guns takes it all away....

Depends on how ruthless he or she is, an individual with money who makes decisions based on the input of the community basically has all the control and can buy his own military.

Rules for Life:
1. Know Yourself.
2. Develop yourself.
3. Love Yourself

All three above will develop the fastest and more profoundly when we purposefully embrace change, push ourselves to experience situations and experiences that are out of our comfort zone and out of our control. By experiencing dual nature of any experience gives us balance as well as learning of life lesson. While going through this; Never Ever Criticize Yourself!

I think that the world could become a better place but it is a fact that Rule #1 exists. I think people get caught up in this idea of fair, and use it as catch all for why they shouldn't try harder or make better decisions. Especially, it's not fair they have more money. I don't know that life will ever be fair. I mean if it was, wouldn't we all just be the same?