Religion | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Religion

Please be civil to each other and stay on topic.

Reactions: Free
Last edited:
I agree that religion is poison.
All this animosity for naught.

religion, right

I think I only mentioned this on the 'pointless' thread, so I'll just say it here:

Religion is poison.

I will now refer to the following article which attempts to dissect the Military Orders:

http://unofficialrantings.tumblr.com/post/138634527136/why-the-catholic-church-loved-the-idea-of-the

I think [MENTION=12656]Elegant Winter[/MENTION] you should view the link because it would give you a new insight into why it is not just Islam that affects world peace in a bad way.

103.png

Is religion delusional to some of you here? One simply cannot expect a child to become a man without caring, nurturing, and love.

Animosity is in the hearts of man.

I have made no secret of my disagreement with religion. My intention here is to better try and understand the mindset that allows people to believe the unbelievable.
Its as if a fantasy novel is read and loved so much people adopt it as real life. Kind of like never ending cosplay. I have spoken to incredible intelligent people who believe in unbelievable things and the only thing I have come accross to account for it is having this belief instilled in them at an early age by an authority figure.

Last edited:
Animosity is in the hearts of man.

Many, many things are in the hearts of man, and the extent to which they exist in each person varies greatly.

Just out of curiosity, can you elaborate as to what you are attempting to express here?

I have made no secret of my disagreement with religion. My intention here is to better try and understand the mindset that allows people to believe the unbelievable.
Its as if a fantasy novel is read and loved so much people adopt it as real life. Kind of like never ending cosplay. I have spoken to incredible intelligent people who believe in unbelievable things and the only thing I have come accross to account for it is having this belief instilled in them at an early age by an authority figure.

And so if true we as humanity must take a very serious accounting of what is taught to children all over the world.

As a genius I want to remind you that its pointless to discuss this subject.

I think I only mentioned this on the 'pointless' thread, so I'll just say it here:

Religion is poison.

I will now refer to the following article which attempts to dissect the Military Orders:

http://unofficialrantings.tumblr.com/post/138634527136/why-the-catholic-church-loved-the-idea-of-the

I think [MENTION=12656]Elegant Winter[/MENTION] you should view the link because it would give you a new insight into why it is not just Islam that affects world peace in a bad way.

Google's definition of poison:
a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed.

I know you probably mean the term poison loosely, but I think this definition captures your intent. You think religion is an illness being absorbed by our population? Ok, sure. The evidence you put forward is that article? Ok, well first I disagree with several points in that article, but lets just grant the article for now. It doesn't say a word about any of the good that religion does. That is something I never hear you acknowledge in all your talk of the evil of religion. Charity, companionship, a sense of community....these are but a few things. Now I'm not saying that it is good for everyone. I'm only saying that it is good for at least some people. In fact, I would say good for a lot of people, a majority even. Why do you ignore this feature? It seems crucial to your judgment.

I know you probably mean the term poison loosely, but I think this definition captures your intent. You think religion is an illness being absorbed by our population? Ok, sure. The evidence you put forward is that article? Ok, well first I disagree with several points in that article, but lets just grant the article for now. It doesn't say a word about any of the good that religion does. That is something I never hear you acknowledge in all your talk of the evil of religion. Charity, companionship, a sense of community....these are but a few things. Now I'm not saying that it is good for everyone. I'm only saying that it is good for at least some people. In fact, I would say good for a lot of people, a majority even. Why do you ignore this feature? It seems crucial to your judgment.

I agree. I think it's safe to say religion improves social cohesion and facilitates solidarity. It brings people together.

I think there is a big difference between believing in God and believing in certain things a God prescribes. The former is an abstract belief, and the latter a concrete one.

It isn't hard to imagine why someone would consider an idea such as God, which is supposedly the root of literally everything, to be so fundamental as to require not evidence of so much as be fundamental to the human mind itself.

Usually the problems all arise when this idea is made concrete, namely, when someone tries to give it a form --- whether idols, or certain books, or whatever, to capture its form/law.

Google's definition of poison:

Are you going to actually tell me which points in the essay you disagree with? All you've said is that you'd rather I spent my time talking about charities. The only difference between a religious and non-religious charity is that the religious charity will give you a Bible and tell the families of the Third World not to use condoms because they're sinful; causing the deaths of millions in the process due to an overpowering reproductive cycle and too many mouths to feed. That's just one point I'll make on the issue of charity because Christians always seem to bring it up when somebody criticizes or speaks an uncomfortable truth.

What I was actually trying to do was link the essay in order to give my friend [MENTION=12656]Elegant Winter[/MENTION] some useful insight into the Crusading-era Catholic Church. However, it seems my hopes of opening the member's mind a bit more has already proved too late. The essay was written by me, by the way, in-case I didn't mention I before. But it seems that despite the essay talking about community and bringing people together (via conflict) you'd rather I'd forgotten about the facts and just say that everyone lived peacefully and there were no conflicts and misery? I challenge you once again to actually try to argue what I said in the essay; please be reminded that the focused topic is the Military Orders. This is not to say I ignore your reply to my 'poison' remark so let me also explain that. It's a phrase adopted by several key academics including Richard Dawkins in his book 'The God Delusion' which I like to paraphrase because, although it is not a literal poison, it has similar effects. Poison floods through your system and by the time it has been fully engraved into a person, it has already done its job of indoctrination.

Appendix: Charity and good deeds of people to others precedes Religion and is practiced completely independent of it.

Last edited:
Some may find it interesting that though I believe in nothing resembling a creator that decided to exist on its own and then create the known universe, I still believe that prayer does in fact work.
:)
Any thoughts on this?

Some may find it interesting that though I believe in nothing resembling a creator that decided to exist on its own and then create the known universe, I still believe that prayer does in fact work.
:)
Any thoughts on this?

Curiosity, mostly, some thoughts. If one doesn't believe in a creator, how would one believe in prayer? To whom or what are your prayers going? Why do you think prayer works?

In other words, what do you think happens when one prays that led you to your conclusion?

Couple of thoughts.

[MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION] Nice essay. Thank you for scrutinizing all religions in this thread, not just the "popular" one to hate at this time. It does indeed broaden some perspectives. My husband is on the fence in regards to religion as he was indoctrinated into Christianity as a child. As an adult, he is struggling with his rational thought, being an intj, and the beliefs that were forced upon him. I've just had him read your essay and his exact words were, "Now why can't Christian's ever talk about the evils of their own beliefs? Why do they just blindly criticize other religions without looking at their own?" Questions worth answering, indeed. I think it's foolish to defend one's own beliefs while making accusations at another's without ever questioning their own. I think there are greater things that divide humanity and segregate humans from each other than culture or race, and religion is at the top of that list. There is no other greater force on earth that causes as much, if not greater, harm than good while at the same time ripping humanity apart. IMHO, yes, I agree that religion is poison.

[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] I do find that interesting coming from you. Do you pray to a god or another spiritual entity? I also "pray", but on a meditative level, and instead of a divine entity, I am praying to the universe.

Reactions: JJJA
Is religion delusional to some of you here? One simply cannot expect a child to become a man without caring, nurturing, and love.

So is it your understanding that only a religion teaches caring, nurturing, and love?

Reactions: Free
Couple of thoughts.

[MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION] Nice essay. Thank you for scrutinizing all religions in this thread, not just the "popular" one to hate at this time. It does indeed broaden some perspectives. My husband is on the fence in regards to religion as he was indoctrinated into Christianity as a child. As an adult, he is struggling with his rational thought, being an intj, and the beliefs that were forced upon him. I've just had him read your essay and his exact words were, "Now why can't Christian's ever talk about the evils of their own beliefs? Why do they just blindly criticize other religions without looking at their own?" Questions worth answering, indeed. I think it's foolish to defend one's own beliefs while making accusations at another's without ever questioning their own. I think there are greater things that divide humanity and segregate humans from each other than culture or race, and religion is at the top of that list. There is no other greater force on earth that causes as much, if not greater, harm than good while at the same time ripping humanity apart. IMHO, yes, I agree that religion is poison.

[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] I do find that interesting coming from you. Do you pray to a god or another spiritual entity? I also "pray", but on a meditative level, and instead of a divine entity, I am praying to the universe.

Well if you reread my post Im not sure how you could ask if I pray to a god. Its going to be an involved answer for you and [MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION]. Starting to realize I bit on a large chunk. But thats ok I guess. The answer to that will come shortly. What is a "god" anyway? :)

Of note concerning your husband this might be of some interest. I am an absolute atheist now. Younger though I was taught to believe in God. This was exceptionally difficult for me to process. My mind could not resolve it. I believe its possible that had I not decided my mother could be completely wrong about something I may in fact have lost my mind over it. Its a long story and I will not go into it now. Looking for answers and understanding that I have always been an atheist has brought peace to my life though it was a difficult road to go down.
Today I battle a bit with a cousin who I respect a great deal. He says he was an atheist until age 36 and then became a Christian after speaking DIRECTLY with jesus. I believe he had that experience though would debate the cause. In any case he now attempts to use standard brain washing techniques on me to try and get me to become a Christian. "Didnt you respect and love your mother, do you think of her as stupid etc.".. So here is a guy whose been unbelievably successful in life, is interested in consciousness and learning, has been a paid Junginan analysts laying this down on me..... mother fing religious people.....
I still love him but damn he pisses me off. I have had to practically cut my tongue off sometimes with him. Family can do tremendous harm to family all under the pretense of "just trying to help."

Anyway Ill provide an in depth answer to prayer a bit later.