Religion | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Religion

"Ill pray for you."..... cannot the meaning change in accordance to who speaks those words?
"Ill pray for you.... to be healthy and well. "
"Ill pray for you to get hit by a bus."
"Ill pray for you to lose your mind and find faith in my religion. "

No sorry, do not have prayers in relation to me.

"Ill pray for you."..... cannot the meaning change in accordance to who speaks those words?
"Ill pray for you.... to be healthy and well. "
"Ill pray for you to get hit by a bus."
"Ill pray for you to lose your mind and find faith in my religion. "

No sorry, do not have prayers in relation to me.
I'll prey on you.

I encountered the whole "I'll pray for you" when I spent some time in Omaha, NE. Like some others I suppose I didn't mind - it seemed well intentioned -, but it just seemed so odd to me. I've never encountered the casual use of "I'll pray for you" anywhere else. The closest thing would be "let us pray for each other", which seems to be used as a type of farewell by some Catholic religious brothers/sisters.

I suppose that it isn't the fact that people might actually pray for me that is weird, but the fact that they say so. There's something about it which makes me think that it's better not to talk about one's personal religious practice too much.

I'll prey on you.

I encountered the whole "I'll pray for you" when I spent some time in Omaha, NE. Like some others I suppose I didn't mind - it seemed well intentioned -, but it just seemed so odd to me. I've never encountered the casual use of "I'll pray for you" anywhere else. The closest thing would be "let us pray for each other", which seems to be used as a type of farewell by some Catholic religious brothers/sisters.

I suppose that it isn't the fact that people might actually pray for me that is weird, but the fact that they say so. There's something about it which makes me think that it's better not to talk about one's personal religious practice too much.

This! I am not offended by it at all except it's so awkward. It seems like it's something that ought to be inappropriate and too personal to share in a casual setting.

I'm from the Midwest, you're right it's used very casually and it happens all the time. I wonder if they even think about what they're saying? I love Omaha. I did have someone come up to me and ask to pray with me in Colorado. Complete stranger. Lots of those kind of people in West too. Have a blessed day xx lol

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
How do you feel about it when someone says they will pray for you? (In a nice way, not as in pray for your sinning soul).

I’m usually flattered tbh.
It all has to do with context of course and their tone of voice, etc.
If done in a condescending way, well, that’s just being an asshole in disguise and I’ll usually give a smirky “Thaaanks"

One that topic, of course more people probably say it as a euphemism or say it without the context of thought you should have…but I also think a good portion of people actually do pray for people they don’t know or just met, and I think that is a beautiful thing.
If prayer works in someone’s opinion or not, it is flattering to be thought of in a compassionate way with no expectation that you’ll even be aware of it.

Reactions: PintoBean
I really get the impression when its said it means, Ill pray for you because you need it to keep you from going to hell.

Reactions: Free
I really get the impression when its said it means, Ill pray for you because you need it to keep you from going to hell.

The majority of the time this is my impression as well.

There have been many instances where people have said "I'll pray for you" who are complete strangers and know nothing of me or of my life except for the fact that I don't believe in their god. So, is it offensive to believers when they say that and I respond with something like "Why?" or "It's unnecessary" ? But, I have found that if I open a dialogue up with any comment in response to them, I'll get bombarded with reasons why my soul needs to be saved and attempts to brainwash me on the spot. So I found it best just to keep to myself and walk away. It's one thing to be respectful of another's religious views that differ from your own and entirely something else to try to shove your beliefs down unwilling throats.

Reactions: Misadventure
You wouldn't have been lying in a puddle of your own vomit, in the gutter, next to a dead prostitute, underneath a stolen police car at the time?

You wouldn't have been lying in a puddle of your own vomit, in the gutter, next to a dead prostitute, underneath a stolen police car at the time?

Someone elses vomit, dead police car and a stolen prostitute. ..

God hears the voices of His children. He hears their thoughts. He listens to their hearts. To one, it sounds offensive; to the other, it is communication with the Heavens. Everyone cannot understand these things. Prayer has been proven to be a positive communion with God, and those ill become more strong than those not prayed for. Pray for me.

Reactions: Siimplicity