Reading a Room of People as an INFJ | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Reading a Room of People as an INFJ

Just thinking about how I read a room of people... it's nothing that I consciously do. It's something that simply happens. I usually start with getting a reading on the general mood of the people around me. The topic of conversation, whose leading the discussion, who wants out, who wants in, etc. My game is to always blend in and fill in the blanks as needed.

Socially, I can feel the "vibe" of the room. Sometimes it can hit you like a wave particularly if there seems to be hostility. Then afterwards, if I deemed the social interaction to be important I will "debrief" myself and will pick up the unusual things that occurred and try and piece it all together. Why did that person react that way when something was said? I think I do take things in, but process only afterwards when I wind down.

At work however, I am a completely different person (at least in important meetings). I am "in the moment", processing all the interactions in real time. I become hyper-logical as well. I suppose it's something I've learned to do, as it does deplete me. I also used to provide classroom training and I tried to read each person in real time to assess their understanding of the content I was delivering. I liked delivering the training but the effort expended in assessing each person made it debilitating for me in the end.

A chameleon I suppose.

I don't read a room. When I walk in, I fart. Those that appreciate my smell as much as I do are the people I interact with. I hate everyone else.

I don't read a room. When I walk in, I fart. Those that appreciate my smell as much as I do are the people I interact with. I hate everyone else.

Not everyone likes l'eau de underdigested hotdog, Milky. You can't blame them.