[PUG] - RANT: Reality has a Liberal bias... | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

[PUG] RANT: Reality has a Liberal bias...

Er...sorry.

That's okay :smile: Thanks for saying so.

When you get down to it, truth is just a set of assumptions. Logic systematically works with assumptions and evidence to come to the most self evident set of assumptions and we call that "truth".

That sounds more along the lines of how i usually think of truth. It doesn't seem absolutely objective.

Okay, so how do you know logic exists? (I'm not disagreeing with you that it exists, just asking how you know.)

It's not a matter of "does logic exist?" It's a matter of "could our brains process any information without it?" In fact, we couldn't. It's necessary to make sense of the world, even if we don't know that logic is an empirical "entity" in the world.

If you're just defining truth as objective, it doesn't give a lot of meaning to what you're saying, right?

Do you have another suggestion? It makes sense to me that truth is measurable, and measurable things are called objective, so truth is objective. If there is a better theory, I'm open to it.

It's not a matter of "does logic exist?"

Yes, that wasn't what I was asking, I was just interested in how you know it exists

It's a matter of "could our brains process any information without it?" In fact, we couldn't. It's necessary to make sense of the world, even if we don't know that logic is an empirical "entity" in the world.

I think you're saying logic comes from within us and I agree. I'd say I believe or know logic exists because I experience it. I think that means logic depends on us, on our points of view.

Do you have another suggestion? It makes sense to me that truth is measurable, and measurable things are called objective, so truth is objective. If there is a better theory, I'm open to it.

I don't think I have I have a really good answer about whether truth is objective; I guess I just wanted to point out that I think it's a tricky question. A lot of the time, I'd probably agree with you that it seems pretty logical that truth is objective/measurable/observable.

Also, a lot of the time, it works out and makes sense to me to think of truth as dependent on an individual's or a culture's point of view... that encourages me to try to understand where people's beliefs come from, why they believe what they believe, why they're aware of or believe in the "facts" they believe, etc. Also it sometimes encourages me to make my own decisions based on my own feelings/truths rather than believing someone else who acts more confident that they know the truth (maybe because they question themself less). Of course, one can't be a total relativist and endlessly question everything you and others believe either.

When something is about to fall on my head is an example of one of the times I suddenly start to believe in the objective truth that I better get out of the way :grin:

That sounds more along the lines of how i usually think of truth. It doesn't seem absolutely objective.

Objectivity is judgment. As humans are the only beings capable of judgment, objectivity is only as absolute as we are.

Sorry, a little off-topic...
Reality has a Liberal bias
I was thinking the other day that reality clearly has an INFJ bias. :) What I mean is, even though I often meet INFJs who struggle, or whose ideas are strongly opposed, it seems they always prevail, eventually. This "rule" goes to such extent to claim that we actually live in a world of INFJ values, for a major part, and the tendency will continue so.

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day that reality clearly has an INFJ bias. :) What I mean is, even though I often meet INFJs who struggle, or whose ideas are strongly opposed, it seems they always prevail, eventually. This "rule" goes to such extent to claim that we actually live in a world of INFJ values, for a major part, and the tendency will continue so.

Hehe, I like this idea and I definitely agree ;)

Actually for being 1 percent of the population we really have a lot of influence :)

Thank-you for posting this. As usually you offer some wonderful incite to all of the discussions!