Racism + Rand Paul | INFJ Forum

Racism + Rand Paul

yelhsamezo

Jun 15, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Did anyone see the interview of Rand Paul on Rachel Maddow? Does anyone think his comments about civil rights are really bizarre and disrespectful?

Could you supply a video link of some sorts. Most of us on here likely did not come across this.

I know about this. My view is that this isn't the right reason to assess Ron Paul.

Suppose he was a racist - which I wouldn't claim - does it matter? Not much.

I think it matters much more that some of his separatist views on organization are inclined to produce racism and other kinds of local prejudice. This is a real argument to consider.

Apart from that, I don't care if Ron Paul was a racist, a saint, or Michael Jackson.

Rand is Ron's son.

Rand Paul on Rachael Maddow May 19. For those unfamiliar with this Rand Paul is indeed Ron Paul's son. He is a licensed medical doctor (I think he does eye surgery?) who is running for the U.S. Senate in Kentucky.

pt. 1
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGdP2mNPeo&feature=related"]YouTube- RAND PAUL vs RACHEL MADDOW pt.1[/ame]

pt. 2
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ61qYT3Pe8&feature=related"]YouTube- RAND PAUL vs RACHEL MADDOW pt.2[/ame]

This is the statement on Rand Paul's website today in response to the racism attacks yesterday.
http://www.randpaul2010.com/2010/05/rand-paul-sets-the-record-straight/

I've only just jumped back into watching the news again and have a lot of catching up to do. Definitely a bunch of calling out of liars and picking on words. Politics as usual of course.

Last edited:
Does anyone think his comments about civil rights are really bizarre and disrespectful?

No. Small government philosophy seeks to reduce government involvement in private business as much as possible.

Oh, good, at least this is directly about policies, and not some irrelevant personal dirt. This guy gets my admiration for not avoiding the issue as much as his father would be able to - because it IS a real very serious issue.

Yes, that's exactly the thing, he, or whoever other politician, may be an angel, but if the policy inspires racists and other bigots to be able to gain growing private influence, slavery may be coming back, in some places. Moreover, this is a recipe for conflicts, and even local civil wars.

Apart from that, he gives good examples for very inefficient total policy applied locally, which can be optimized locally instead; sure on such points I'd agree with both his and his father's views that this has to be avoided, but not through what they propose, imo.

Last edited:
Funny... I thought Rachael Maddow's questions and attitude were bizarre and disrespectful. It seemed like she was going out of her way to try get him to admit to something that was a misrepresentation of his views.

Last edited:
Funny... I thought Rachael Maddow's questions and attitude were bizarre and disrespectful. It seemed like she was going out of her way to try get him to admit to something that was a misrepresentation of his views.

Very true.

Yes. I think it was racist and disrespectful.

I'm pretty sure if he were not a wealthy white male he'd be changing his tune..

Not surprisingly he did change his tune the very next day on CNN. And although she was pushy it seems like he could answer the question but in his defense he was talking like a politican. Also if you live in the margins it is very worthwhile to press for an answer because he isn't just a citizen, he is a rep. Rascism is alive in the south; Zinn called it institutional rascism. I suggest reading The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. For example despite the fact that in the last 30 years there has not been a tremendous fluctuations in the crime rate there were appx 300,000 in jail in 1972 compared to 3.2 mil today with 5 mil on probation. Black folks are appx 13% of the pop, appx 14% of drug users but are 60% of people sent to prison. Also rates of sellers are about the same among all races.
It's like we remember the marketable tag lines of every hard won struggle and stop there.
"Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try and take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free." -Utah Phillips

Not surprisingly he did change his tune the very next day on CNN. And although she was pushy it seems like he could answer the question but in his defense he was talking like a politican. Also if you live in the margins it is very worthwhile to press for an answer because he isn't just a citizen, he is a rep. Rascism is alive in the south; Zinn called it institutional rascism. I suggest reading The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. For example despite the fact that in the last 30 years there has not been a tremendous fluctuations in the crime rate there were appx 300,000 in jail in 1972 compared to 3.2 mil today with 5 mil on probation. Black folks are appx 13% of the pop, appx 14% of drug users but are 60% of people sent to prison. Also rates of sellers are about the same among all races.
It's like we remember the marketable tag lines of every hard won struggle and stop there.
"Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try and take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free." -Utah Phillips

Racism isn't just alive in the south. The racism in the south tends to be more blatant and such. The racism of the rest of the country usually is far more crippling though, in the more wealthier part of the country you can almost completely divorce yourself from any ethnicity you particular don't like if you just so happen to be white.

I agree with you except that seperating yourself from others is possible in any community in any region of the states and harm here is harm there. Plus Rand Paul represents Kentucky so pertaining to my comments all I was trying to get at his that his constituencies/people represented are southern. But his decisions effect everyone (rascism is everywhere) and are worth debating

What is the issue? He didn't support the portion of the Civil Rights act pertaining to forbidding private businesses from discriminating. Being against the government interfering in the matters of private business does not make someone racist, particularly since he supports every other part of the legislation.

I guess I found Maddox to be more obnoxious because I know a bit about the philosophy behind Rand Pauls comments and they weren't fueled by racism. He was speaking like a politician who knows someone was trying to play gotcha games with him so I can understand where someone might see him as a closet racist at work. I think that is what Maddow was going for, scandal sells. One of the reasons I don't watch TV news anymore :)

The issue is that denying someone service based on prejudice is racist. Supporting that "right" in my personal opinion is rascist. The issue is that our government is supposed to protect the minority. It is supposed to determine where my right to swing my my arm stops and that is at someones face. These things do matter, and I don't see why it's frustrating to have a conversation about them. The issue is that I wanted to have a discussion about the idea of his mindset, how it is viewed on this forum, how it concerns our legislation and possibly the future because it is interesting to me. I'm sorry for bringing it up..

Reactions: enfp can be shy
Alright. Who gives a shit if he's not a racist?
Do any of you legitimately believe that businessess would be better deregulated?

Then, you don't have a problem doing away with child labor laws?
Or having an FDA inspect your food and drugs?

What he's proposing is still irresponsible and careless to the public.
A government or law that condones racist behavior is just as racist.

And anyway civil liberties should come before the liberties of business.

Last edited:
Alright. Who gives a shit if he's not a racist?

Apparently a lot of people who disagree with him on private property issues because they seem to be trying to paint him as one.