[PUG] Why the bias?

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
First of all, feel free to lock this if this has gotten out of line. But BEFORE that, please; let this roll for a while.

Next; ahem; no fighting? I mean, I'd be happy if there are no arguments, but that seems very futile. But at the very least, please restraint from self-defense.
Last; just FYI, this post is also a dumping ground for me. I'm sorry. ;)

===
Why am I making this topic?

The catalyst is that, It's because my reply on the other topic was getting very OOT...
This is an INFJ forum.
Most people will want to type themselves as INFJ, because this way they can be understood, liked and/or fit in.
Why would you type yourself as ISTP, even if you know you're one? You'll be much more important if you're INFJ!

This forum is full of ISFPs and ISFJs in denial.
I can understand this reasoning, but let us look deeper. WHY those types?

First of all, no one here has ever being mistyped as an, say, ENTJ. I know those who -settle- with ENTJ (@Odyne), and those who questioned about the possibility (I think @VH, once upon a time), but never mistyped. (Oh, hey, I think you aren't an INFJ. ENTJ in denial, you are.)

Or, god forbid, ESJs. ESFJs are also a Fe user.
Sure, logically speaking, perhaps the gap is too wide to make the accusation.

BUT. I know some people have considered the possibility of being mistyping. And I've very rarely seen the similar repulsion / 'OMGOMGIAMNOTTHISYOUAREWRONG' regarding mistyping as INTJs, or INTPs, or ENFJs.

Why it'd be always INFPs? Or, if it seems to be, ISFPs and ISFJs? Or, regarding a certain member of this site, ENFP?
But the actual reason is just........what's with the bias? what's hidden between the lines, behind specific combinations of four letters that seemingly portraying someone's entire being, is what I'm most o_O;ed. And there -is- one (or more.), I know you know I know we know. But it's never been -actually- spoken, but it's never been discussed. Only implied, argued, and defended.

And it's getting more than a bit OY. So, if you may, bring that to the open world.

/breathes.

I might be wrong, but I'll take the risk.

i think your hair is a mess and your nails need new rhinstones AND I DONT KNOW WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE BUT HAVING FOOD IN YOUR AVATAR WHEN IM TRYING TO LOSE WIEGHT IS TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL AND GOD JUST I ---

oh, no fighting. booooooo.

(i kid, I kid)

Anyways, I think the reason why mistypings occur around the IXFP/INFJ is because INFJs are described as the most perceiving of all judgers, so maybe some XXFPs see that selves in them, since they are basing what is Je/Pe based on inaccurate descriptions.

I have read that ISFPs do sound like INFJs in a sense. It works like this, IXFPs are very egalitarian, but NFJs in general want equality for all people. ISFPs also have tert Ni, so they're not completely alien to it. I don't know why I'm trying to use my Ti here, I think I should have learned not to use this stuff.

[MENTION=1378]Orion[/MENTION] or [MENTION=3538]Arsal[/MENTION] can just do this instead and I'll just jump in every now and then with "YEA WHAT YOU SAID."

I know you know I know we know. But it's never been -actually- spoken, but it's never been discussed. Only implied, argued, and defended.
I guess I'm going to speak about mine. Consider this a confession, and an memoir, and an opinion, and an observation at the same time. Yes, you know my biases now, and as I learn more about MBTI, all of this become...jumbled, a lot dead wrong (blame the people, not the function) and best thrown out. I humbly ask for forgiveness. I'll try to wash my sins.

From my personal opinion, and from my personal standing (INFJ *am I?*, tend to detach, 6w5).....

A bias exists against Ne and Si. IMO, 'scatter-brained person who cannot focus' and 'rigid, traditionalist conservative', respectively. Which probably contains another bias by itself. I don't know the counter-bias against Ni and Se.
A bias exists against Fi. IMO, 'selfish ignorant hissy whiner LEBAY *poke @kucala* -- ahem, melodramatic wangsting hyperbolic passive-aggressive wimp BLAH!'
A bias also exists against Fe. IMO, 'doormat passive-aggressive Stepford liar self-serving FEMININE WEAKNESS.'
A bias too exists against Te. IMO, 'robotic detached sterile heartless dead cold.'
A bias yet again exists against the code P. IMO, 'they will never get things done. J get things done, and I've got THINGS TO DO.' >> This is my very very personal bias.

I don't know if it's the same bias, but I highly suspected this is why mistyping as IXFP were something really evil in the eyes of some, and why ISFJ were also something undesirable (Si.)

Am I wrong? Talking nonsense? too much whining?

Enlighten me. ;)

Se doms/aux = Douchebags with spiky hair who steal cars.
Si doms/aux = Highly conservative close-minded house maid or office robot.
Extroverts = Loud and annoying

INFJ: Deep, intelligent, misunderstood, calm, quiet, makes lots of poetry, for world peace, better than you, fits in this infj forum

The choice is quite easy. It's all from ignorance and close-mindness really.

but i'm not sure if i understood your point o_O

Reactions: barbad0s
ALSO PSYCHIC. ALSO PSYCHIC.

ohmaigawd biases. maybe the reason you see so many biases is your own bias against biases.

lol not really; i think most people come here to learn about the type they think they are, infj, and may not know enough about mbti or whatever to correctly type themselves. they will soon find out, or they wont-- its no matter either way.

sometimes, though, their biases against other types is what causes the temporary misunderstanding of their own type. remember, even infjs [anyone!!] can be idiots.

ohmaigawd biases. maybe the reason you see so many biases is your own bias against biases.
Quite possibly, to be honest.

From my own biases I can surmise it into; attaching subjective attributes into functions / codes.
Because subjective attributes (personality, behaviour, attitudes) are itself depending on each person's perception, which is related to : (memory, which is related to experiences and reactions to the experiences) + (value, which is related to experiences and reactions to the experiences) + (culture, which is related to society which is related to history, politics, sociology, economy, which is all relative based on experiences and reactions to the experiences.)

/Ti, anyone?

And let's not talk about MBTI types as a whole, itself being attached with whole lot of 'definitions'...

[MENTION=3072]Majesty[/MENTION]:
but i'm not sure if i understood your point o_O
I understand. :| Which one?

Well I do value Fe, Se, and Si because I have seen its power.

Not much else to say on this topic, because I just don't care :)

Well I do value Fe, Se, and Si because I have seen its power.

Not much else to say on this topic, because I just don't care :)
Which is the point, really. ;)

Much pleasure and I humbly thank you for your answer =)

Hmmm, I wasn't aware people "rejected" the notion of any type to be honest. There are a few types that I'm nearly certain I'm not though. I find it confusing that people would reject a type. I originally stumbled upon my INFJness because of being typed INTJ. I never tried to jam myself in that box I just knew something wasn't right and I needed to figure out what it was so I went searching. I also doubt that INFJ is really that rare of a type though so maybe I differ a bit from others in my assumption that there are probably quite a few.

As far as who comes here and their types it could be any number of reasons. I personally like to look into as many forums as possible to see what clicks. I've spent time on ENTJ, ENTP, ENFP, ENFJ (although this seems to have just come back up.), Two INTP, an INTJ, this INFJ, and two INFP forums. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of sensor forums other than what's found at personality cafe. I think some people are just looking for a place to click.

the reason that certain people have a bias against a certain cognitive function is because they don't understand the function or have trouble with it in their own lives. Don't you think it is quite interesting that here on the INFJ forums most people have a bias against Te, Fi, Si and Se? It is because INFJ's don't understand those cognitive functions or because they are the complete oposite of there own functions. I haven't yet seen this huge bias against Te on personality nation and ... big surprise ... they have a lot of INTJ members.

the first 5 times I did the MBTI test I came out as an INFJ and I loved the type. But after reading more about it and interacting on this forum i noticed that my "J-ness" was't something natural to me. So I came more and more in touch with who I am and guess what ... I started testing as INFP. It is VERY easy to switch from INFJ to INFP in a MBTI test. Just answer some of the "J vs P" questions differently and voila!
If you don't know which of the two you are then dig into the cognitive function and find the NiFeTiSe or FiNeSiTe in your life. I found the FiNeSiTe and not the NiFeTiSe and so I believe I'm INFP and 'm proud of it!!!! Does that makes me a whiny dumb egotripper? No not at all. I'm a scientist and a lot of people would type me as a Te-dom. By doing all this introspection I have learned much more about who I am and who I was trying to be. I can see through my own drama's and I am more tolerant and understanding towards people who are different then me (which is the whole world population minus me).

if some people would stop being such a "judgers" basing there hatred on a biased theory, then this would be a better place ...

Last edited:
Reactions: acd
There's a bias against S types within MBTI circles and this is due to how the descriptions are written + how the tests are designed. No one wants to be the "boring", "traditionalist", "conformist" type, which is how the tests make them sound.

[Conversely, you have the bizarre N-type who wants to be a S-type (you know who), but that's rare.]

Everyone wants to be "unique" and "special". Most people who have felt alienated at one point or another in their life will probably want to be seen as a "IN".

And then the dissociation with being INFP. One INFP friend confessed to me that he hated being Fi-dominant, and that he wished to be ENTJ. I think he meant to say, "I wish I was more assertive." in MBTI terms, because he has trouble with that frequently. However, being unassertive has nothing to do with being type. You're not inherently a push-over, no matter what type you are.

Fact of the matter is, you are unique whatever type you are and can feel alienated even if you're an ESFJ. It doesn't mean you are an INxx type.

Why the bias? I have no idea. But whenever I say "I think you're an INFP" I don't mean "You are unassertive, over-emotional and you suck at life". I mean, "I think you prefer Fi and Ne to navigate your way through life".

Reactions: acd and Morgain
[Conversely, you have the bizarre N-type who wants to be a S-type (you know who), but that's rare.]

I honestly believe I'm a sensor. I'm far too low key for an Ne dom.

Or, regarding a certain member of this site, ENFP?

Did you mean me? Probably not, but I've been meaning to ask for some advice regarding what type I fit best into, and I know that I do not act like other ENFP's do. It's just that I looked at some videos of them and I could see myself acting like that if I were 10.

I've always been scored as infj and sometimes infp, but my personality doesn't fit Jesus at all. And I'm not secretive.

Edit: Btw, I have no clue as to what this thread is all about yet.

Reactions: Arsal
Did you mean me? Probably not, but I've been meaning to ask for some advice regarding what type I fit best into, and I know that I do not act like other ENFP's do. It's just that I looked at some videos of them and I could see myself acting like that if I were 10.

I've always been scored as infj and sometimes infp, but my personality doesn't fit Jesus at all. And I'm not secretive.

It makes two then ;)

I'll be honest and say that I didn't know you nor read your posts good enough to type you (faulty as I am), but I hope you'll find your identity, whichever code it is. :)

Also, thanks for your answer.
I can't tell you anything about ENFPs, unfortunately. My perception is biased-- in a negative way.
INFJs are no Jesus; Jesus is Jesus. :) INFJs -can- be mini-Jesuses, but again, it's an ideal, not a standard.

Actually it's funny you say that, not the jesus thing but the secretive thing. I was questioning whether I might be an ENFP at one point because I basically don't follow rules/laws I don't agree with and I'm a strong proponent for transparency (Actually I might be a hypocrite on that one so I should specify I mean transparency in groups of more than two people.) Overall the "structure" component had me questioning it however I came to realize that the reason I don't use others structures is because I have my own internal rules. (Not sure if you'll be able to resonate with that or not.) Hopefully that will give you something at least though.

Misunderstanding, obviously. There are more immature subjects of a given type than not - birth rate is growing world-wide, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). What one sees most, or most frequently, becomes the benchmark. It doesn't help that the various introduction material for MBTI (profiles, "job preferences", etc) are based exclusively on the development of top two functions, so most think that the behavior described therein is the end-game instead of a starting point. 'Sides, people have a curious tendency to think themselves in some way better than another - this is obviously amplified when surrounded by others "like me".

Any type can be annoying, or enlightening, or useful. It's tiresome when one type is elevated over another; it takes every single persona to keep the play called Life in motion.