Prostitution among college students | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Prostitution among college students

In her defense, I think she meant 30 years your senior, not over 30 years of age. Which would be silly, nothing wrong with over 30.

I have a young (under 30) friend who likes really elderly men, and I personally think Warren Buffet is smoking hot. So, it is all a matter of taste! :)

P.S. Also Jimmy Buffett.

Except she didn't say men over 30, she said men 30 years her senior… as in, she's 20 and he's 50.

Oh...my bad. :) No offense taken then until...well later.

In her defense, I think she meant 30 years your senior, not over 30 years of age. Which would be silly, nothing wrong with over 30.

I have a young (under 30) friend who likes really elderly men, and I personally think Warren Buffet is smoking hot. So, it is all a matter of taste! :)

P.S. Also Jimmy Buffett.

People famous for having heaps of money and rock stars obviously don't count.

You know now that I think of it, your whole post is fairly antagonistic toward men. Yeah AS IF the only way any companionship can happen is if the female is TAKEN ADVANTAGE of. PUHLEASE. Seriously.

A man thirty years my senior? Seriously? Lots of women are dating men right now in relationships where it is more egalitarian. This is an extreme example in the essay, also read the description of the men in the articles. Some of them are intelligent, but why are they paying for sex instead of having relationships? Certainly it might be a busy schedule, they might be attractive but unable to have relationships, ultimately I think you're reading too far into what I'm actually saying. In the descriptions a lot of the men were significantly older and fairly unattractive. Personally I wouldn't want to date a man thirty years my senior.

But if these women want to get paid for it, it's their choice, but I don't really think anyone is being taken advantage of. The men get what they want, the women get what they want, there's nothing wrong with that.

The problem is that in our society its hard to actually get a career out of college, that's the main issue.

Yeah I meant men thirty years older than yourself, not thirty years old.

Thank you for being so understanding. ;)

I remember when I first heard Catherine Zeta Jones was all about grandpa Douglas. I was like...seriously? SERIOUSLY? What is wrong with this world.

I agree with a lot of this and to be honest I do think that sex in advertising is probably more perverse than prostitution... but at the same time, I don't think it's particularly healthy to enable all aspects of sexuality, because it can also end up distorting reality or ruining families. And we're not talking about free love or escaping sexual repression here, we're talking about profiting from it. Don't you think that if there were less sexual repression then it's possible that prostitution wouldn't be as big as it is?

I absolutely think that prostitution would not be as common if our societies were less sexually repressed. In a large sense, prostitution as it is currently practiced is a product of sexual repression. And also a way in which people then respond and cope with that sexual repression.

Whether people profit from it or not is not the issue for me. It is simply not my place to judge. And prostitutes dont advertise and market their products like other industries. Generally its practiced in a discreet away, well in my society anyway. Our red light district is nothing like the stuff they have in Amsterdam! And even then- Coke is way more in your face than that! People have a choice whether or not they use a service or buy a product. Its the person's responsibility to choose and then deal with the consequences of their decisions. The only thing we can do as a culture that really cares and empowers is to provide people with accurate information and more support with subjects like health, sexuality, relationships, addictions, etc. If there was active adevrtising and marketing practices in the prostitution industry that i would be more inclined to find it offensive or unhealthy. As it stands, i have a far bigger moral issue with corporations who market their products using pervasive brainwashing techniques, preying on people's insecurity and manipulating children.

In regards to distorting reality- what is reality? Im not sure what you mean by that.

And in regards to ruining families- i think that prostitution wouldnt be the actual wound or issue here, more like the bandaid someone uses to try to cope with a deeper underlying issue. Like if alcoholism was destroying a family, the issue isnt necessarily alcohol, it is the deeper reason why one chooses to abuse alcohol etc. I think our society has fucked up ideas of what a healthy relationship should be and the majority of people do not know how to communicate with each other, get into relationships for terrible and unhealthy reasons, and then stay in relationships for unhealthy reasons. That is why so many relationships fall apart and are so destructive and painful for people. Our lack of ability to communicate, sexual repression, lack of humanitarian values and ethics, lack of love and compassion, competitive culture, and lack of community combine together to create all manner of chaos. This is why families get 'ruined'.

Personally. i believe in an ideal society of 'free love', or free sex based on the highest principle of love, joy and creativity. The only type of prostitution that would exist in such a society would be very highly valued and well regarded courtesans, who would approach sex more from a knowledge and experiential basis, rather than a profit based one. Obviously people would do very little for profit in my society because people would be living to enjoy life, not working to just survive! And rape would clearly be unheard of in such a society- it would simply be a blasphemy or heresy against the sacred act of sex.

But in a more practical and serious vein, i think the priority is more education, guidance and support in regards to communication, relationships, critical thinking and personal responsibility in schools. Kids learn about relationships normally from watching their often fucked up parents, terrible television and movies and neurotic songs. We arent really providing children with many good role models or quality information. Perhaps 'relationships' and 'communication' should be a key focus in schools, given that relationships and communciation are fundamental to the human experience, joy, fulfillment and a happy and productive society.

It's still exploiting intimacy for personal gain. The justification of "choice" has nothing to do with the morality of the act.

Last edited:
I think it reeks of hypocrisy to judge a person for prostitution because what they happen to sell is sex. We all whore ourselves for our pay, we just choose not to see it in those terms. Throughout history there have been those professions that have been considered taboo or to carry stigma...such as working with the dead and such. Do I think it is detrimental? Probably. Living beneath the stress of something considered to carry social stigma probably isn't easy. Are there people who can separate the intimacy from the act? Maybe, but I doubt 100%. We all make hard choices everyday. I doubt there has ever been one person who choose to become a prostitute that made that decision easily.

We all whore ourselves for our pay, we just choose not to see it in those terms.
^^^this

it's just such a strange juxtaposition as these girls are theoretically getting degrees so they won't have to sell their bodies... i wonder if sometime in the future people will be able to get degrees in prostitution... i would love to see that on those stupid yahoo lists... highly-sought-after degrees of the future...