Prostitution among college students | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Prostitution among college students

The typical experience for women (in America at least) with men is being burned by some asshole who seduced her for free sex and then dumped her.

I really don't think that being dumped or played is a good reason to become a prostitute... these people aren't victims by any stretch of the imagination.

Im largely unmoved and unaffected by this. The only part about this that grossed me out is the avid consumerism and the shopping addiction. Both issues stem from lack of self love though, so i sincerely hope that these girls find what they truly want and no longer need to gain self worth through possesions and conforming to other popular culture expectations. We can hardly blame them, given the shitload of advertising and marketing people are unwittingly exposed to and the identification with 'things' that we expouse as a cultural norm.

I have a lot of respect for prostitutes. I think prostitution is an important job in society. I dont see anything inherently demeaning or wrong about prostitution whatsoever, its the way that our culture understands sex and the attitudes that people hold towards prostitutes thats the problem. I hope that these girls dont get hurt, however, as illegal prostitution can be very dangerous.

Many men and women are very promiscious in college, and why not? What better time in their lives to explore this part of their humanity? A lot of people have casual sex and hook ups, which can create a lot of life drama. This way almost seems more clean cut and less complicated for people like some of these girls that clearly have very high sex drives. Less messing with people's emotions and tangled threads of connection. And i hate to say it, but a lot of 'dating' can simply be people exchanging sex for money, material goods and support. I find that behaviour far more tacky.
And really, the girl writing the book might make a mint from it. Turns out people really enjoy reading about other people's 'sordid' lifestyles, whether its because of genuine curiosity, living vicariously through others, or some kind of judgemental need to feel that they are better and more moral than other people.

Reactions: barbad0s
Im largely unmoved and unaffected by this. The only part about this that grossed me out is the avid consumerism and the shopping addiction. Both issues stem from lack of self love though, so i sincerely hope that these girls find what they truly want and no longer need to gain self worth through possesions and conforming to other popular culture expectations. We can hardly blame them, given the shitload of advertising and marketing people are unwittingly exposed to and the identification with 'things' that we expouse as a cultural norm.

I have a lot of respect for prostitutes. I think prostitution is an important job in society. I dont see anything inherently demeaning or wrong about prostitution whatsoever, its the way that our culture understands sex and the attitudes that people hold towards prostitutes thats the problem. I hope that these girls dont get hurt, however, as illegal prostitution can be very dangerous.

Many men and women are very promiscious in college, and why not? What better time in their lives to explore this part of their humanity? A lot of people have casual sex and hook ups, which can create a lot of life drama. This way almost seems more clean cut and less complicated for people like some of these girls that clearly have very high sex drives. Less messing with people's emotions and tangled threads of connection. And i hate to say it, but a lot of 'dating' can simply be people exchanging sex for money, material goods and support. I find that behaviour far more tacky.
And really, the girl writing the book might make a mint from it. Turns out people really enjoy reading about other people's 'sordid' lifestyles, whether its because of genuine curiosity, living vicariously through others, or some kind of judgemental need to feel that they are better and more moral than other people.

Dont agree with much of what you have said. I realize this is of little importance to you.

I heard someone say the other day that we are the only species on this planet that has to pay to live.

Everything pays one way or the other. The form of payment changes of course.

Dont agree with much of what you have said. I realize this is of little importance to you.

The issue may not be important to me, but im happy to discuss whats on your mind regarding this topic if you like

The issue may not be important to me, but im happy to discuss whats on your mind regarding this topic if you like
Ok I question the idea of "respect." for those that choose prostitution. It has nothing to do with someones right to choose what they do with their body, nothing to do with laws etc... It has to do with the why. Is someone choosing it because its an easy or easier way to make money? In the process exposing themselves to potentially life threatening situations? Here on this earth, mind and body are linked. Most of the time its about money. If so, would you respect someones choices to be an assassin? Here we also have a person who "just wants to make a living" and has found a way to do it.

I'd just like to point out that there's a difference between actively choosing to have casual sex with someone and accepting money to have sex with someone you would rather not have to have sex with. I don't think that either is particularly positive, but I think it's an important distinction to make.

Also, respecting prostitutes is going way overboard-- these girls are sleeping with men who have wives and families, and even if it takes two people to cheat, they're still enabling. They're not doing anything noble-- I think I'll save my respect for firefighters and teachers and policemen.

Ok I question the idea of "respect." for those that choose prostitution. It has nothing to do with someones right to choose what they do with their body, nothing to do with laws etc... It has to do with the why. Is someone choosing it because its an easy or easier way to make money? In the process exposing themselves to potentially life threatening situations? Here on this earth, mind and body are linked. Most of the time its about money. If so, would you respect someones choices to be an assassin? Here we also have a person who "just wants to make a living" and has found a way to do it.

I would respect a person choice to be an assasin, yes, although i do not ever want to murder someone and dont like murder. I also respect a person's choice to eat macdonalds or drink coca cola, although i would never do those things and would teach my child about why i think its 'wrong'. I respect a person's choice to drive a petrol car, although i would never do so myself and am always encouraging others to seek an alternative. I respect the right for someone to own a gun, although i would never do so and i am would do much to prevent widespread gun ownership in my blessed nation. I respect people because i love them and i value them. I may not agree with them and i may despise their beliefs but i accept that this is a part of the human experience. I think these things largely because of my personal spiritual beliefs and the high value i place on personal choice and free will. We are all accountable for our behaviour and we live the fruit of our thoughts and beliefs, whether they are healthy or unhealthy choices. Its not my place to judge, just to take responsibility for my own choices and actions and generally try to contribute to creating a happier society in the ways in which i can and am empowered to do so.

There are probably many different reasons why an individual may practice prostitution. Some people choose, some people are coerced, some people feel it is their only option as they feel that their choices are limited.
In regards to as an easy way to make money, that is a very personal choice. It may be easy for some, based on their values, skill set, lifestyle and work preferences. If they do it for the money, who am i to judge? Its their right to support themselves in a way that they choose. I do not personally think that prostitution is an easy way to make money and i would not be prepared to prostitute myself for money.

I think that it can be a very dangerous profession for some, and i would like to see more regulation of the industry and more respect afforded to prostitues so that do not get hurt, ill, abused, robbed etc. Much of the travesty that occurs in this world regarding prostitution- human sex trafficking, forced prostitution, child prostitution, prostitution borne out of desperation or drug addiction is a very sad thing and comes down to the value/or lack therof we place on human life, consumerism, our lack of support systems for vulnerable people, and our attitudes regarding sex.

I much prefer the idea of 'courtesans', people that are trained in the arts of sex that share this skill and experience with others. Sex is something i revere, it is a creative gift that we are afforded through the human condition. In that sense i find 'courtesans' beautiful. In regards to the way that prostitition is currently practiced in the mainstream, i think that sex can be seen as very ireverant. I think this reflects our larger societal beliefs and attitudes regarding sex, relationships between masculine and feminine energies, and the human body. But i truly respect and value people who 'voluntarily', willingly of their own accord and desire choose to become prostitutes. Sex and sexuality can be a form of expression for some people and they genuinely enjoy those aspects of that experience. They provide a valuable service to people who may not be able to have sex in more conventional ways, or people that want to explore certain sides of their sexuality. Sex is a perfectly natural and beautiful thing. I think repression of sex can be very dangerous and destructive, and is linked to much of the chaos in certain cultures and nations.

What i found truly disturbing is how sex is used to market products and beliefs, and how sex is used to manipulate and 'control' the population. I would like to see an overhaul in our general mainstream attitudes and beliefs regarding sex and its relation to our society and every day life

Everything pays one way or the other. The form of payment changes of course.

Hmmm.... the birds who hang out on my property don't have to "pay" to live there. They catch the bugs - build their nests - have families - all within harmony in their environment.

I have to catch my bugs, build my nest, have a family, AND pay taxes for services I never receive along with property I've bought and paid for.

In my country - If we don't pay - we can't live. Our society would let us die homeless on the street. Or starve to death for lack of money for food.

There is a big difference between me and the birds.

I don't understand what possesses people to make responses like this one sometimes. It's like, someone makes a long, thought-out response. Then you're just like "I disagree", one line, nothing to back up your idiotically confidently-stated opinion, and then make a stab at them? A civilized stab, but still a stab. Wtf? Don't you think maybe possibly it makes you look like a stupid asshole? Not saying that you are but that's how it makes you look.

Reactions: the
In my country - If we don't pay - we can't live. Our society would let us die homeless on the street. Or starve to death for lack of money for food.

Well, technically you do have the option to not pay and if you're resourceful and in the right part of the world, you can probably keep yourself alive.
I can't say that you'll be comfortable, though.

I don't understand what possesses people to make responses like this one sometimes. It's like, someone makes a long, thought-out response. Then you're just like "I disagree", one line, nothing to back up your idiotically confidently-stated opinion, and then make a stab at them? A civilized stab, but still a stab. Wtf? Don't you think maybe possibly it makes you look like a stupid asshole? Not saying that you are but that's how it makes you look.
[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION]:
This sums up my intentions of the thumbs down that got you worked up.

They provide a valuable service to people who may not be able to have sex in more conventional ways, or people that want to explore certain sides of their sexuality. Sex is a perfectly natural and beautiful thing. I think repression of sex can be very dangerous and destructive, and is linked to much of the chaos in certain cultures and nations.

What i found truly disturbing is how sex is used to market products and beliefs, and how sex is used to manipulate and 'control' the population. I would like to see an overhaul in our general mainstream attitudes and beliefs regarding sex and its relation to our society and every day life

I agree with a lot of this and to be honest I do think that sex in advertising is probably more perverse than prostitution... but at the same time, I don't think it's particularly healthy to enable all aspects of sexuality, because it can also end up distorting reality or ruining families. And we're not talking about free love or escaping sexual repression here, we're talking about profiting from it. Don't you think that if there were less sexual repression then it's possible that prostitution wouldn't be as big as it is?

[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION]:
This sums up my intentions of the thumbs down that got you worked up.
Good enough

Plenty of people in college have sex with people they've just met, often while drunk. It's risky and dangerous anyway. I don't see why people who are willing to engage in this wouldn't be willing to monetize what they'd be doing either way.

Personally before I even got into college I considered the idea of selling my panties on craigslist once I became of age (never followed through on it). I suppose that's marginally similar.

This URL is for Niffer:
http://www.livescience.com/37302-di...cecom+(LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed)

It is not really about prostitution, rather it is about the financial possibilities inherent in auctioning one's underwear. Also, with the dirty jobs spin, and the talk about the skilled labor gap, I thought the whole thing dovetailed beautifully.

Question. Out of the people here who have mothers, sisters daughters etc.... which of you will be fine if and when one day any of them come to you and say, Im going to be a prostitute?

Question. Out of the people here who have mothers, sisters daughters etc.... which of you will be fine if and when one day any of them come to you and say, Im going to be a prostitute?

I have a sister and she was a pretty big ho in high school. I was really disappointed in her. If she only would have caught that entrepreneurial spirit and charged, she could have made some serious dough. Shame on her.

I have a sister and she was a pretty big ho in high school. I was really disappointed in her. If she only would have caught that entrepreneurial spirit and charged, she could have made some serious dough. Shame on her.

Not sure I follow.

Not sure I follow.

I would be okay with it. If that is the life they choose, I may not be proud of it, but it would be their choice.

My sister obviously loved her some sex. If she came to me and said, "I'm going to be a prostitute" I would have been relieved and said, "Well it's about friggin time you started charging!"

People are going to do what they want to do.

I'm really not into judging people or telling them how to live their lives, no matter how much I love them. It may not be the life you choose for them, but ultimately it is their life...not yours.

I admit, I'd be sad and disappointed, not to mention worried... but what could I do in such a situation? Stone her to death? Certainly not. I'd rather face facts and somehow empower her. (Actually, I'd probably just kidnap her until she came to her freaking senses. Prostitution is dangerous.) I'd much prefer anyone I loved to not have to expose herself to that sort of danger.

But, there's a fine line between prostitution and marrying for money, and one gets you all sorts of hate, and the other gets you congratulated, and a reality TV show, so.... yeah, same thing kind of, but one's a lot safer and probably more lucrative, in most cases. :/ What I'd want is for people to not have to depend on sexuality to make a living, rather to have their minds and talents valued and to have a lot of self confidence that doesn't depend only on sexuality. But that's just me.

Speaking for myself, I'm very particular and picky about what I do with my body, and that has served me well in life. I would wish for other women that they also have the power to choose and pick and decide for themselves, and that they set the bar HIGH for themselves, not low.

Reactions: cvp12gh5