Poll: Voting Strategy? | INFJ Forum

Poll: Voting Strategy?

What would you do if the candidate you really want, can't win?

• Vote for the candidate you really want no matter what.

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Vote for the best candidate who can actually win the election.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Don't vote for anyone.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

kita

<font color=#990066>Regular Poster</font>
Jun 13, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Its election day in the US, and the candidate I like for state governor has no real chance of winning the election.

I am pretty indifferent to the other candidates, so I think I'm going to vote for the one I really want. If I felt strongly about the other candidates, I'd be tempted to vote for someone who could actually win.

What would you do in this situation?

for the uk election, i usually vote lib dem's, because well, torries fucked up the country, labour fucked up the country, so i figured lib dems deserved a chance.

I'm pretty sure the Lib Dems fucked up at some point.

I can go either way, but I don't like republicans as lawmakers. I'm very socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

Add a write in. Jesus for governator!

Reactions: jyrffw54
Pah! What's the point in voting.

They never do what they say they'll do and always do things they said they wouldn't.

Waste of time

They never do what they say they'll do and always do things they said they wouldn't.

I do agree with you, but I think some candidate try, and that some are better than others.

I do agree with you, but I think some candidate try, and that some are better than others.

But we don't know whether they have good intentions when voting. It's pot luck whether we get a good one or not.

What is said in their campaigns is pure fiction.

Bill Clinton himself admitted on the daily show that so much time and effort is put into winning the election that when they win they don't know what to do as they haven't planned for it. They have put all their effort into winning.

Surely if they actually plan on following through with their promises then the plan must already exist. It should be the same plan that they said they'd use when running for office. It isn't.

I also think it's rather convenient that whoever isn't in office says they'd do exactly what you want them to do but as soon as they get in office they start wars, make budget cuts, raise taxes and everything else we DON'T want them to do.

It's all lies. You may as well flip a coin

our current system of voting often means choosing between the lesser of two evils

supporting these politicians and the system that wastes so much money is frustrating

voting on principle is the only way to go

i think our votes are best used when we support a 3rd party

at least this way we can send a message to the republicans and dems

when they start losing votes to the smaller parties, they might be inspired to change their approach

I like voting in local elections because they are a lot more "in touch" with their constituents. For everything else, I educate myself on the candidates, vote only in the races where I feel 'educated' enough to vote, and always vote on proposals.

Reactions: Gaze
our current system of voting often means choosing between the lesser of two evils

supporting these politicians and the system that wastes so much money is frustrating

voting on principle is the only way to go

i think our votes are best used when we support a 3rd party

at least this way we can send a message to the republicans and dems

when they start losing votes to the smaller parties, they might be inspired to change their approach

X2.
The whole notion that voting for a candidate that belongs to a party other than the Republican or Democratic party is throwing your vote away because they have no chance of winning is the very reason we constantly get stuck with the same 'ol same 'ol government we complain about.
People bitch all the time about the way the country is run, but when it comes time to cast their vote they become weak and compromise their principles.
Lameness.
This morning I cast my vote for the Independent that is running for Governor of Minnesota despite the fact it is most certain he won't win. In my opinion he is the only one that has any common sense no matter the issue.
The Democrat & the Republican running are just towing their party line and are both extremists.
I at least know I didn't compromise myself and become yet another sheep in the herd of the 2 major parties, who come tomorrow morning will start bitching all over again about how things are run.
Bahhh...bahhhh...bahhhh.

I didn't bother to register to vote when I moved to Arkansas. I didn't care.

At any rate, I tend to vote for who I want no matter what. The problem is that I don't want any of the choices.

Also voting tends to be a problem with me because I grew up in a household of right-wing extremists and other fundamentalist Christian types. Sure, I believe that I am a Christian, but I just don't necessarily agree that what is right for myself personally is the right direction politically for the country. So while I myself am against homosexual marriage and against abortion, I believe that politically the right for gays and lesbians to marry should be given, and that abortion should not be made illegal (with the exception of partial birth abortion.)

This causes nothing but a big flame war between me and my family, who believe that you aren't a Christian if you vote for things that Jesus would not approve of. :/

So I just don't vote anymore, because invariably, they ask who I voted for and what their stances are.

It really depends on the situation. During the presidential election in 2008 I voted for Nader. The reason being is I did not like obama or mccain. They were both bad canidates in my eyes for very different reasons. However, I was easily able to determine that obama was going to win (of course I had doubt, but I was confidant). Because of this, I voted for nader (whom I didn't particulary care for either, but it was an option). Since I knew obama would win, he was a lesser of two evils, I didn't bother to vote for him.

For this election I am voting in montana, and none of the elections are too controversial this time in this state. Nevertheless I will vote for those whom I like. I would like to oust Denny Rehberg (R-Rep), however polls show it is likely he will remain in power. Nevertheless I don't like him so I am voting for the D canidate.

I'm putting into a practice a biblical concept I've been studying. The idea that Christians are to be like travelers in a foreign land and as citizens of another kingdom. So as a foreigner I have no vote.

Select a write-in for every office, and use it to demand Range Voting rather than selecting one candidate.

If we can finally make the move to range voting, then there is no such thing as a wasted vote. You don't pick the lesser evil, you state just how good or evil you think each candidate to be. Ranking one highly would provide no benefit to those you like less than your more popular second choice.

Mock elections have shown that if the parties, candidates, and campaign strategies did not change, then the Democratic party would almost always have a small majority, balanced by a significant minority of Libertarians. The green party would be the third strongest party, followed by the Constitution Party, with the Republicans coming in 5th and rarely even winning one seat in congress.

Of course, this is mostly because the demography and divisive tactics favored by so many recent republicans is suicidal in range voting. With range voting it is more important not to be hated by a large segment of society as to be loved by a slightly larger segment. Playing only to your base is not really an option, especially if it is done through fear-mongering and demonizing the opposition. This system would facilitate a much more civil dialogue. It has been shown to have a nursery effect leading to the growth of small parties, without giving power to radical fringe parties.

I would of course also insist that range voting be used for choosing leaders within legislatures, rather than basing power on seniority and partisan affiliation.