Political Correctness and Microagression | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Political Correctness and Microagression

Thread revival! What actions are considered microaggressions in your culture? Scenario description is acceptable.

Had to google the term. It seems to refer to subtle expressions of negative sentiments towards certain demographics.

In terms of a relatable example, I guess different MBTI types occasionally express or imply some sort of negative sentiment about other MBTI types.

As for whether microagressions are significant, I assume it's probably best considered in terms of intention and of impact. By definition, microagressions are largely unintended, so the impact is the principal consideration.

The impact of a subtle air of negative sentiment can impact individuals differently, depending upon their sensitivity/awareness of such things, how individuals are affected by negativity. (Both the people subject to the negativity, and not subject to it). This is so varied and individual, it just seems to be reduced to everyday life.

In terms of broader effects, it just seems consistent with people's tribalistic tendencies. People form tribes so easily, that Venn diagrams of overlap would probably just be an uninformative mess. For example, people who passionately support one sport team may have irreconcilable political differences, partially overlapping moral views, some ethnic-cultural similarities, and many ethnic-cultural dissimilarities, etc. It's a messy consideration, subject to changing reference points. For example, socioeconomic differences seem to matter in the context of social gatherings at restaurants (no one wants to see shabby clothes at a french restaurant, nor a dinner jacket at McDonald's), but socioeconomic differences don't seem to matter when supporting a sport team.

Overall, the phenomena of microagressions would seem very complex, and people most likely settle into a type of social entropy in the plethora of situations they encounter. Some situations are high cost, low reward, and others are low cost, high reward. People find their own balance.

Thanks for the response. This is surely a much more difficult balance to find what with there being many more "snowflakes" everywhere, as it would be put.
The main problem with snowflakes is that they don't take personal responsibility, insofar as they are unwilling to endure the social cost of their choices.

If I want to attend a Bach concert, without wearing a coat and tie, I know I'll get annoyed looks from people. If I don't want annoyed looks, I have to wear a coat and tie.

Snowflakes would insist they should be able to attend orchestral concerts in sportswear without negative looks.