playing guitar | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

playing guitar

Still like my old, previously owned, Alvarez.

Do you plan to take lessons? Talk to them first. Never know if one might be there for you to use at first while there. See how you like it and talk with your instructors.

Get a case and a tuner.

I know I won't be able to afford a guitar in the hundred dollar range but i'm seeing some fair priced starter guitars under 100. However, i'm not sure I want to buy a starter guitar since I'm not likely to buy another for quite a while. I'd rather buy one that's a regular which allows me to transition to intermediate after going the process of learning and developing as a beginner. I've been checking out all the brand name guitars everyone has suggested so far and a few seem great in terms of look. I'm narrowing it down. I'm not looking for something fancy but hopefully whatever I get, it will be a good one to start with and hold on to for a while.

I know I won't be able to afford a guitar in the hundred dollar range but i'm seeing some fair priced starter guitars under 100. However, i'm not sure I want to buy a starter guitar since I'm not likely to buy another for quite a while. I'd rather buy one that's a regular which allows me to transition to intermediate after going the process of learning and developing as a beginner. I've been checking out all the brand name guitars everyone has suggested so far and a few seem great in terms of look. I'm narrowing it down. I'm not looking for something fancy but hopefully whatever I get, it will be a good one to start with and hold on to for a while.

You don't really need to upgrade if you end up liking the guitar you end up with. It's like a console piano vs. a baby grand. If it's made well you can learn on it just fine and play it just fine and it will sound good enough.

A lot of stuff is about sound and ease of playing, you can get the ease of playing on even cheaper guitars. Yes a more expensive guitar can be light years better but that doesn't mean a cheap one won't do for casual playing.

[MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION]

Yeah, used is fine if you actually go to a place with a reputation to maintain or you get your hands on it before purchasing it. I own a Mockingbird right now that was used as a floor model at GC, was discounted by like 70% so I was like "Uhhh hell yes I will buy this off you" and all I really had to mess with when I took the thing home was the tuners.
Speaking of tuners: put Grover heads on ~everything~

A stand isn't so important. I think a better investment is in a case, as it can fulfill the same purpose as a stand and can allow gitbox + necessities to be transported with ease.
Of course this is from the guy who owns the terribly-shaped Mockingbird so naturally I would say not to buy a stand.

[MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION]

Yeah, used is fine if you actually go to a place with a reputation to maintain or you get your hands on it before purchasing it. I own a Mockingbird right now that was used as a floor model at GC, was discounted by like 70% so I was like "Uhhh hell yes I will buy this off you" and all I really had to mess with when I took the thing home was the tuners.
Speaking of tuners: put Grover heads on ~everything~

A stand isn't so important. I think a better investment is in a case, as it can fulfill the same purpose as a stand and can allow gitbox + necessities to be transported with ease.
Of course this is from the guy who owns the terribly-shaped Mockingbird so naturally I would say not to buy a stand.

Cases are definitely better. Preferably a hard case. A stand is like $15 though so can't hurt to have one (if your guitar fits it)

I just said that because a lot of people like to have them out, and a stand is better than nothing if you're going to do that. Some people just lean it against a coffee table, but it can fall over like that, and you shouldn't lean it on the headstock in a corner for the reason I outlined earlier. Some peoples say if you absolutely must lean it, to lean it on an edge such as a table or amp with the fretboard/string side resting on the edge.

[MENTION=95]efromm[/MENTION]

Used is ok if it's from a good dealer.

I was mainly saying to avoid 'pawn shop' used because you might end up with something that was leaned in a corner for a year and you'd have to take it in to get it adjusted, but you'd have to know what to look for in order to do that.

Like with my dad's guitar it's hard to fret the high E string because the neck is twisted because he leaned it in a corner and the weight of it plus the weather caused it to bend.

You may have to get the fret board radiused. If it's all twisted like that, the truss rod won't fix it, unfortunately :/
The easier plan would be to adjust the action on the high, you can properly drop it a bit to lower it down properly, and make a new nut for it.

You may have to get the fret board radiused. If it's all twisted like that, the truss rod won't fix it, unfortunately :/
The easier plan would be to adjust the action on the high, you can properly drop it a bit to lower it down properly, and make a new nut for it.

Yeah, the issue is that it's all cocked up just around the nut. Changing the action could make the frets further away from the problem become worse I think. And yes the truss rod can't fix it unfortunately.

Edit: it's like the relief and gap are just about normal when you look down the neck. Most of the frets are straight across but the last bit towards the nut is twisted like somebody tried to wring it out. You can really see it and it makes the string plunk if you don't really fret it good.

Edit edit:
I don't think he's really worried about it though. He chucked it in the corner because he's a large man with massive hands and he found it too small for him. (another reason to not buy online like he did lol)

He has a Martin now that is better taken care of.

Last edited:
I have bought a lot used Ovations and played a lot of them over the years. Never seen a messed up Ovation neck. Having a truss rod helps. And most Ovations have a truss rod in them. If you only got a hundred bucks I would try to get at least $300 saved up. The pawn shop I go to gives me 30 days warranty and satisfaction. If I did not like it I can return it. Even Ovations foreign line of guitars is nice for the money. They can take abuse.​

Ovations sound and play great, but they always wanted to slide down my leg while playing in the sitting position.

Ovations sound and play great, but they always wanted to slide down my leg while playing in the sitting position.

They used to make a pad that went on the back that kept the guitar in place. I usually use a strap. I play mostly sitting down and have gotten used to handling them. If you get a slimmer model it is not as bad. My Ovations all have the deep bowl. Some guys armor all them not a good idea if you want it to stick to you lol. I want a Martin but three grand for a guitar is a little steep at the moment. So I play what I got and am happy to have it.

To the OP. A nylon string is a good choice too for a starter guitar. Easy to play and easy on the fingers. Plus they sound great. I use ghs strings with a wound g and they sound great on my nylon string. Getting 300 bucks makes buying something nicer possible and keeps you wanting to play it.

I have bought a lot used Ovations and played a lot of them over the years. Never seen a messed up Ovation neck. Having a truss rod helps. And most Ovations have a truss rod in them. If you only got a hundred bucks I would try to get at least $300 saved up. The pawn shop I go to gives me 30 days warranty and satisfaction. If I did not like it I can return it. Even Ovations foreign line of guitars is nice for the money. They can take abuse.​

You're lucky to have found a pawn shop like that.

Around here they will gladly rip you off, because they're so often frequented by crackheads and such that want to trade possibly stolen goods for their money to get their fix.

So, now that I got it, now I need to figure out how to play it :D. Please post any sites, books, or tips for a beginning guitar player. Thanks. :)

When I was learning I found a bunch of great tips on starting guitar on youtube. They helped me learn to tune, play beginner scales and how to use a pick though I don't have the vids anymore. Another cool site is ultimateguitar.com which has free guitar tabs (chords) so you can learn to play your favorite tunes which I found more gratifying than scales. Just remember if your fingers start hurting its bc you've got to build up your callouses which will get better over time. Best of luck to you :)

He's right you tube it. Learn where the notes are or chords are and the strumming patters. It's now all in your hands. It's fun to play it can take awhile to get it down but once ya do it's smooth sailing. You will find your style of playing while you play to. You will be drawn to songs that you can play. I started with the basic chords and found songs that I could find the sheet music too. And I learned how to play them by ear. And by what chords I had to play. The picking patterns came in time. And so did the singing. It was hard to sing and play at first. Now it's old hat. Congrats on the new ax! Play Play Play!!!

Last edited:
Thx for the suggestions. I have been searching youtube, I was curious if anyone had specific videos or sites you found helpful when learning since there's millions of stuff out there.

Reactions: Gaze
Thx for the suggestions. I have been searching youtube, I was curious if anyone had specific videos or sites you found helpful when learning since there's millions of stuff out there.

What kind of music do you listen too? Do you have a favorite song you want to learn to play? Chordie.com is a cool place to find tab and chords for bands you may like. I learned by just doing it. I am sure that it is not the best way to learn. But that is how I did it. Collective souls shine is a very easy song to play. Look at some beginner guitar books for music and the notes on the fretboard. Do a search of fretboard diagrams and learn the notes there too. Everyone learns a little different but I think that by having a song that you like to play will make you feel better about learning it. To me it makes no sense to play a song that I just do not like.

Thanks guys. I heard "Hey There Delilah" on the radio last night and I found the chord diagram through www.chordie.com so think I'll start with that. Seems easy enough to play.

[video=youtube;-xx2PgUiDLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xx2PgUiDLQ[/video]