playing guitar | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

playing guitar

[video=youtube_share;7gPsJK290-4]http://youtu.be/7gPsJK290-4[/video]
This is a song that I have been working on for a few days. It's been in my head for awhile. This is me just trying out different strumming patterns and stuff. Trying to see where I can go with the song.​

This is a song that I have been working on for a few days. It's been in my head for awhile. This is me just trying out different strumming patterns and stuff. Trying to see where I can go with the song.​

Very nice! Loosen up your wrist a bit and your rhythm patterns will come out better. Also a trick I use is strumming the air on breaks to keep up my tempo and feel, just with a little hand wiggle so I know where my pattern is going to end up. I also practice inverting patterns, e.g. coming out of a down-up-down and going back in with an up-down-up.

Very cool.

I just picked my guitar up last night and played it no warm up and recorded it for fun. I do some different things with my picking patterns. Quite honestly I play what I feel. I need to get playing more again. Time is the issue right now.​

Wow! Missed this since I've been away for a while.

Been playing for... err... 20 + years now. Dammit, hate admitting I'm old enough to actually SAY that! Anyway, there are a few generalized pointers I can probably give.

1. Carefully choose a guitar teacher. I lucked out on my first choice. I'd say, in MBTI terms, I learn best by going with an Intuitive style of teacher/learning. When I first started, the teacher was focused more on style, training my ear, finger dexterity and different techniques - the technical portions like scales, and notation were secondary or non-existent.

I went back a few years later in college to learn the more formal, classical style and hated... really hated the teacher and the style of the lessons. All text-book. All theory. All notation. Hated every single second I was there, which was sad, since I was already dedicated to playing.

2. This is a huge one. I mean, a really huge one. Aim high and be the best (in terms of learning new songs and gaining mentors/idols). It's good practice and good for your own ego to learn a few easy, popular songs to start with, but don't stop there. When I was learning, Nirvana was huge (before his death) and every want-to-be-musician and his brother wanted to be just as good as "those guys". Problem is, musically, those guys sucked big time.

If your goal is to sound like "those guys who suck" your skill is going to level off at that same level of suckage. Try to find musicians and groups that are talented and complex in their music and then aspire to play at that level; don't aim for the bottom.

There are many underrated guitarists in various genres out there who don't showboat or make headlines. Expand your horizons a bit from where they may have started and see what strikes your fancy.

Case in point - When I started playing guitar, I was an Eagles fan. I learned a few of their songs but then realized many of them were fairly easy to pick up, so I listened around for something a bit more challenging... that's when I saw this video:

[video=youtube_share;eK1hmDpa8bo]http://youtu.be/eK1hmDpa8bo[/video]

Won me over in a heartbeat once I watched the performance.

Some guitarists I'd suggest giving a listen to that people don't always think about would be:

B.B King
Les Paul (yes, he was a superb guitarist as well)
Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
Alex Lifeson (Rush... the video posted above)
Brian Setzer (Stray Cats)
Steve Howe (Yes)

Reactions: Gaze
Rush Rules! Seen them live kicked ass. Great ideas! All great guitarists on your list. I listen to all those guys. Colin Hay (Men At Work) is also a fave of mine. Dan Seals. Chris Issac. Lindsy Buckingham. Newton Faulkner. I have a lot of guys I like to listen too. Plus the regulars like Hendrix Clapton Jimmy Page David Gilmore. I am with you you gotta challenge and open up your playing style. First you have to develop that style. Then the rest is up to you...​

Reactions: Lerxst
I finally opened it today, tuned it, a chord broke of course :D, put on a new string (which was tricky because of the wire kept going loose. Now I am learning chords. Finger placement is tricky though. It's interesting. Definitely feel like it's going to take some long periods of practice. It's not a top brand guitar, just one of two First Act acoustic guitars I saw at Target. I thought I'd start off with songs I know but I'm realizing that I need more practice with chords and chord changes first. Didn't realize how difficult moving between chords could be.

I finally opened it today, tuned it, a chord broke of course :D, put on a new string (which was tricky because of the wire kept going loose. Now I am learning chords. Finger placement is tricky though. It's interesting. Definitely feel like it's going to take some long periods of practice. It's not a top brand guitar, just one of two First Act acoustic guitars I saw at Target. I thought I'd start off with songs I know but I'm realizing that I need more practice with chords and chord changes first. Didn't realize how difficult moving between chords could be.

LoL none of us do at the start. I had to learn what chord progressions that I could play easiest together first. Then I would try to play it as I hear it as far as the strumming pattern goes. It takes practice. But you will get there! Keep at it. It will eventually happen.

Ahhh the memories (and blisters!).

I can give one tip that I had to learn the hard way. I think everyone makes this mistake when they start... the real key to improving is in the right hand (assuming you're right-handed). You can get as good as you like with chord progression and fingering the scales with the left hand, but without that right hand doing its job, it's all going to sound remarkably flat and unimpressive. The mistake everyone makes at the start (that I've seen) is hanging on to the pick with the "grip of death". You're limited pretty much to straight up and down strums like that, picking out any notes in the mix is hit or miss.

When you get a bit more relaxed, try to ease up and the bottom three fingers and let them "float" over the body of the guitar while still firmly holding the pick.

Watch the way this guy uses his right hand for the rhythm and you'll be blown away (although, he's been playing his whole life!!!) :)

[video=youtube_share;R7I9pqV0DMQ]http://youtu.be/R7I9pqV0DMQ[/video]

Reactions: Gaze

Just take it gently and slowly. Some good chords to learn first are majors A D E and G because they are pretty easy and will help train up your fingers, and you can play some nice little rock tunes with them. When you get it down you can practice your C chord, and B and F are just A and E moved up. Once you get used to it switching becomes easier. I recommend practicing the easy ones until you can do it without taxing your brain too much trying to find where to put your fingers, before moving on to the minors and sevenths and flats and stuff.

So, now that I went even simpler. Now, I'm learning with America's Horse with No Name which is pretty simple. I'll post a audio sample when I get decent enough. :D

So, now that I went even simpler. Now, I'm learning with America's Horse with No Name which is pretty simple. I'll post a audio sample when I get decent enough. :D

That's a good beginner's choice to play. Another thing is to maybe take the chords you learn and at some point just arrange them to your own little tunes that you come up with. I find that kind of helps with the picking hand part of it because you aren't worried about duplicating anything.

A lot of people get trapped in "I want to play this song" and everybody plays Smoke on the Water or whatever and they hit a wall, which is why I think it's important to also eventually try your own stuff and learn to loosen up and find your natural style. Get loosey goosey and develop some soul, or funk, or feeling, or whatever. Have fun with it and don't be afraid to develop your style a bit and after a while it'll come natural to you and you'll start learning very fast.

Collective souls shine is a easy song to play d c g It's the right hand that makes it sound interesting. I love finger picking I like the way it sounds.

[MENTION=1669]Framed[/MENTION] what kinds of music do you want to play? I wanted to play acoustic from the start. I bought a Stratocaster when I really wanted a Ovation. But the strat worked out cause it was actually easier to play. And my fingers hurt less. That is why when I got my ovation I used extra light strings at first. I like the silk and steel Martins at the moment. I like the sound of a nylon string. I like how it's punchy. And folksy at the same time.
[video=youtube;NOwXqIFikAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOwXqIFikAM[/video]

This not him playing the nylon string. I gotta find that one if I can....

[video=youtube;j0U_E2ueuuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0U_E2ueuuQ[/video]

Here it is. Love this guitar!!!

[MENTION=95]efromm[/MENTION] I am not sure where I'll end up as far as types of music. Right now, the singers and songs I've mentioned are close to how I want to be in terms of type of music, so something mellow and easy going. That's why songs like Clapton's Layla, Tracy Chapman's fast car, etc. I guess I still need figure out the basics first, learn more chords, and then see what style I'm comfortable with. I guess right now I'm just experimenting. But the guitarist in both videos is awesome. I like the rhythms or beats. Smooth jazz is an appealing genre I'd like to try.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://www.infjs.com/member.php?u=95" target="_blank">efromm</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> I am not sure where I'll end up as far as types of music. Right now, the singers and songs I've mentioned are close to how I want to be in terms of type of music, so something mellow and easy going. That's why songs like Clapton's Layla, Tracy Chapman's fast car, etc. I guess I still need figure out the basics first, learn more chords, and then see what style I'm comfortable with. I guess right now I'm just experimenting. But the guitarist in both videos is awesome. I like the rhythms or beats. Smooth jazz is an appealing genre I'd like to try.

I was just asking cause I know a lot of easy songs to play. I learned the same way. I found some songs that I liked then I went to play them and realized that I need to learn more about playing. So I looked for other songs I liked until I found the ones that I could play. Then opened up from there.

[video=youtube;FJkGKcspgRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJkGKcspgRI[/video]

This would be Collective Soul Shine in Morocco. I liked the way they played this version. The lead guitarist is no longer with the band. Seen them live twice. They were better with him.

When I play this song I play it mellower. And I leave out the little bridge part and use more finger picking. You should not always try to make it just like the original guy did it. You gotta make the song your own. Use your style to make it yours.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the practice.

Last edited: