Physical expression of personality. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Physical expression of personality.

I look directly into people's eyes and try to read their facial expressions unless I notice it makes them uncomfortable.. then I only periodically do it for a few seconds at a time. I gesticulate a lot with my hands and unintentionally wink. I pause a lot in speech.
People complain that I am too soft spoken.

Last edited:
I find I don't talk with my hands a whole lot, though I do tend to draw out little invisible maps when I'm describing locations. I look people in the eyes when listening, but avoid eye contact when speaking. And now that I think about it, I do gap in my thought when explaining things.

(Personal manner, not professional) I don't stare people in the eyes. When I listen, I often look at something else ... as though I am focusing only on the listening aspect. I glance at their eyes often, then look away. Glued eye contact makes me very uncomfortable.

I talk with my hands. I find myself very expressive or animated. I cannot wipe expression from my face, it is the toughest thing ... so it makes me a terrible liar.

I am often very aware of my body language and how it could be perceived in certain situations ... such as listening to someone in order to solve a conflict, I make sure I am not closed off (arms folded) ... I honestly think it invites the other person to speak more freely so we can work toward resolution.

I don't know so much that I stop between thoughts. I'm the type that is more susceptible in going off on a tangent (and then forgetting what the original conversation was about.) When I need to focus on a topic I have to make a conscious effort to stay on topic.
hm...yup :) I only stop when I lose my train of thought, which is fairly often, but not every sentence!

I don't stare at people.

Some people think all INFJs share the sad, downturned eyes.

Solid eye contact while talking to people is a sure sign an INFJ is reaching out.

Reactions: Rasmus
But then I guess most people avoid eye contact

I look directly into people's eyes and try to read their facial expressions unless I notice it makes them uncomfortable.. then I only periodically do it for a few seconds at a time. I gesticulate a lot with my hands and unintentionally wink. I pause a lot in speech.
People complain that I am too soft spoken.

Whatever loudmouth terrorist.

'mericas h!
puddinpops.gif

Reactions: Rasmus
Overall I suck at talking. But yes. I use my hands often when speaking to try and get my point out. I can't really stop talking. Usually my sentences in long tangents kind of trail off into oblivion, ending often with a "so yeah," "you know," "if that makes any sense" etc. "If that makes any sense" is like my trademark phrase, ugh.

I don't like looking people in the eyes when I talk very much. I prefer to look at something else or stare off into space, but when I am listening I look in their eyes much more often.

People always seem to think I'm angry. My default expression is more or less with my brow furrowed. It really gets in the way sometimes. A few of my friends thought they angered me once and I had to explain that's just my face. Along the same lines, I tend to "exasperated sigh" when talking, making people think I'm frustrated with them. Not at all. It's just how I talk.

My voice when trying to speak about something to a group or expressing a view I can't quite word or whatever becomes a strange almost monotone. Or just talking in general. To family and sometimes friends my voice is much more expressive, but if I were to be saying criticism about a song in choir or something like that it'd go monotone. If I were saying this post out loud instead of typing it it'd go monotone. Or I add in sound effects and basically "act" what I'm saying. Or a weird mix of both. Pretty much overall I just look and sound like a fool when I speak.

When speaking, my face is very expressive as well. I end up with a lot of strange faces, like raising eyebrows, raising one eyebrow, etc. I notice when thinking about something for a certain answer (like, where is your favorite place in the world. Something specific but thought provoking) I look up a lot while making weird thinking expressions.

Long answer is long. Sorry. I love to ramble. (That could count for what we're discussing, no?)

Overall I suck at talking. But yes. I use my hands often when speaking to try and get my point out. I can't really stop talking. Usually my sentences in long tangents kind of trail off into oblivion, ending often with a "so yeah," "you know," "if that makes any sense" etc. "If that makes any sense" is like my trademark phrase, ugh.

This is very very very INFJ and ISFJ.

It's very exhausting, but it's how u guize ventz.

It's also why you tend to make fast friends with those INTPs.

[MENTION=3174]Stella[/MENTION], I use "if that makes any sense" all the time. I also use "you know what I mean?" a lot

@Stella , I use "if that makes any sense" all the time. I also use "you know what I mean?" a lot

I most recently wind up my INFJ lodger by stating that whenever she says these things that I probably don't.

i avoid conversation unless it's necessary - i do not do small talk, ever.
when i'm having a conversation i look the person in the eye although i don't stare, obviously. as i'm listening to them i'm also watching every move their body makes, every twitch, every blink, where their eyes go, how they're breathing etc. i don't do that purposely, however i'm consciously aware it's happening, and i pick up more on the body language than their words most times.

i keep my body language very quiet intentionally when i'm around people. this could very well be why some people are uncomfortable around me. without consciously realizing it, i think they know they are being shut out.

I've noticed that we veg, too.
You'll be sitting in a restaurant with a group of people... and you'll be vegging.

...we went to the Grand Canyon?

And remember, INJs: don't Ni and drive!

Eye contact?...Hardly ever!!!! I will look someone in the eye briefly,just for effect,but never stare into their eyes while talking.I tend to want to concentrate on what i'm saying/they're saying.When really upset though,i will definitly look you in the eye,and when i do,most people can't keep looking at me(once i'm that mad,it's better for you to run!)I am also very animated when i talk.Definitly a "hand talker".I feel i can't accurately express myself unless my hands are flailing all around!I've always been told i look very "serious",even "mean" because the look of seriousness is so pronounced on me.I think it's because i'm usually deep in thought about something,so i tend to have a screwed up look on my face while i am(i'm so far from being mean!)i've always been quite "clumsy" too.

Like most people on here, I have a hard time holding eye contact. I glance at the person and then quickly look away.
I stutter a little when I talk to strangers (mostly due to being nervous).
I talk with my hands.

Last edited:
i smile a lot. it's like an automatic thing i do i guess to put people at ease. and if i'm nervous its fucking ridiculous.

I smile a lot too. More of a permanent smirk really. I also smile at inappropiate times like when someone is mad at me or yelling at me. I like eye contact, especaily when I'm trying to connect with someone, otherwise I tend to look off into the distance. I find that maintaining eye contact for extended periods of time can be quite unerving for most people.