Physical expression of personality. | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Physical expression of personality.

I tend to gesture a lot when I talk and my eyes dart around the room/surroundings.

When I gesticulate it tends to be abrupt, but not stiff.

My brows are furrowed in a perpetual state of "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Last edited:
I always try to make eye contact when the other speaker is talking - it shows that I'm paying attention, and it makes what they're saying feel more real/personable. When I'm talking I only make eye contact briefly (otherwise I'll get lost in those eyes/lose my train of thought); I do make a good number of hand gestures and say "you know what I mean" quite a bit. I pick my words carefully, so there are definite pauses... at times they feel a bit awkward.

I've noticed that we veg, too.
You'll be sitting in a restaurant with a group of people... and you'll be vegging.

...we went to the Grand Canyon?

And remember, INJs: don't Ni and drive!
This is why I seldom drive, and don't know where anything is if I'm a passenger. I'm almost always daydreaming. It's very hard for me to stay present, because I seldom ever want to be where I am.

I also gesture with my hands, though I don't intend to.

I don't generally maintain eye contact when I'm speaking though, I look at the other person for a second or two, then my eyes will dart around the room.

I find it extremely uncomfortable if I maintain eye contact, unless of course, I am listening. Even then it's more about looking at the person's face and registering what imperfections that face has and occasionally looking at the person's eyes.

#Se

Old thread is old but in light of the video introduction thread, I'm resurrecting it.

I maintain eye contact when I'm talking to people, or I look in and around their face. If I'm looking away for a prolonged period of time, it means I'm thinking about something else or my mind has wandered away from the conversation. Instead of shifting my gaze, I usually just shift my body. I'll turn in a shoulder or I'll pull back away. I'm also quite touchy-feely in person. I'll touch your shoulder or your arm, though in recent years, I've been very conscious of doing that because it isn't very appropriate in an office environment. I also don't do it to people that I notice are very introverted or shy, because I'm rather worried about overwhelming them or making them uncomfortable.

I've been told frequently that my face is very expressive; I turn my head to the side and my eyebrows move up and down when I talk, especially my left one, and it looks like I'm trying to entice you into seeing my point of view. My best friends always make fun of me for this and claim that I'm seducing them again.

I usually match my body language to the rest of the group. If other people are talking with their hands, I do too, if they're not, neither do I or if I do move, my movements are a lot more smoother and controlled. In fact, it's true for my entire demeanor. I'll adjust to the needs of the group. I'll regulate my voice, my tone, the topics I talk about, how open my body language is, etc. Sometimes its conscious and sometimes it isn't. I tend to be a lot more careful around people who are quieter than me. I'm always concerned I'm making them uncomfortable or not including them in some way. In a group of animated extroverts, I'll sort of drift in and out of the conversation, depending if I'm interested in the topic or not. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. If there's more than two of them in a group, I'll usually quiet down and take the opportunity to get a read on them. Group dynamics fascinate me.

Last edited: