Partner to watch movie / read books | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Partner to watch movie / read books

Eras and the development of camera techniques/special effects could be another way to go.!

OH I love this .Let's start with this.the famous movies? you two seem to know a lot more than me.how can we find movies then? the famous ones?

Last edited:
OH I love this .Let's start with this.the famous movies? you two seem to know a lot more than me.how can we find movies then? the famous ones?

Hmm. I don't know. I know a few movies like The Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane and The Jazz Singer, but I would struggle to come up with a chronological list!

I kind of wish that we'd go back to the idea of going by directors, because that way we could easily pick the best of the best? :)

Try lists on http://www.imdb.com/
For example they got a top 250, top moving by genre and even an IMDb bottom 100 ;p

You can take a similar approach on goodreads.com for books.

I don't know about IMDb. The fact that everyone gets a vote for movies doesn't seem like a valid judgment of quality to me. Art isn't democratic, and everyone has a different opinion on everything. At least accomplished critics and scholars have scientific backgrounds to their judgments.
I mainly use IMDb to look up which movies that actors or directors have made, or to check out behind the scenes trivia :)

Hmm. I don't know. I know a few movies like The Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane and The Jazz Singer, but I would struggle to come up with a chronological list!

I kind of wish that we'd go back to the idea of going by directors, because that way we could easily pick the best of the best? :)

I don't know about IMDb. The fact that everyone gets a vote for movies doesn't seem like a valid judgment of quality to me. Art isn't democratic, and everyone has a different opinion on everything. At least accomplished critics and scholars have scientific backgrounds to their judgments.
I mainly use IMDb to look up which movies that actors or directors have made, or to check out behind the scenes trivia :)

What I meant was that she can use the lists, and filter on directors or genres and that could help in choosing, for example if you agree on makoto skinkai, than you can just select him and choose one of the films he made as they are displayed in a list. To get an idea on directors selecting those lists might help on the who and what.

Ok.That's also ok with me.
What I meant was that she can use the lists, and filter on directors or genres and that could help in choosing, for example if you agree on makoto skinkai, than you can just select him and choose one of the films he made as they are displayed in a list. To get an idea on directors selecting those lists might help on the who and what.
Yeah I use the website for that in particular :)
btw do you have any ideas for this? r u in the club? ^_^

[MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION]:
- Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman (can we do him before Tarkovsky? )
They are not directors, are they?

Yeah I use the website for that in particular :)
btw do you have any ideas for this? r u in the club? ^_^

Plenty but there is already a clear preference for directors showing in the thread, It might be best to first choose from those.
As for the club, I'd prefer to wait and see where this club leads to before I decide if I want to join, but thank you for the offer. ^^

Yes they are! Fellini directed great films like 8½ and Bergman Wild Strawberries and Cries and Whispers :)

ok let [MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] come and then we choose one of them
^^
Plenty but there is already a clear preference for directors showing in the thread, It might be best to first choose from those.
As for the club, I'd prefer to wait and see where this club leads to before I decide if I want to join, but thank you for the offer. ^^

I have a plan to get it somewhere good.and I love to have more and more cool people like you in ^^

Uhm...okay, looks like we're having trouble how to start. I still vote for having some chronology,
while going by one director at a time. It will just be on a more open time frame I guess.

I suggest for the first, maybe couple of, months, we could do a bit of 101 in cinematic development.
(Maybe 1-2 director per period, 1 film per director)
And when we're done and at least have some idea of the film history/progress,
we could drill down deeper by going for more movies of the directors tackled,
see how they diversified throughout their career, how changes in the industry affected them, etc.
And then, we could spread out through that period by going through those directors' contemporaries.
So that's when we can compare/contrast movies/makers within that certain period,
and in the process improve our own film vocabulary. (Do I make sense?)

I wouldn't mind writing some sort of syllabus, but just a rough draft.
We should fill in the blanks together. What do you say? :smile:

Uhm...okay, looks like we're having trouble how to start. I still vote for having some chronology,
while going by one director at a time. It will just be on a more open time frame I guess.

I suggest for the first, maybe couple of, months, we could do a bit of 101 in cinematic development.
(Maybe 1-2 director per period, 1 film per director)
And when we're done and at least have some idea of the film history/progress,
we could drill down deeper by going for more movies of the directors tackled,
see how they diversified throughout their career, how changes in the industry affected them, etc.
And then, we could spread out through that period by going through those directors' contemporaries.
So that's when we can compare/contrast movies/makers within that certain period,
and in the process improve our own film vocabulary. (Do I make sense?)

I wouldn't mind writing some sort of syllabus, but just a rough draft.
We should fill in the blanks together. What do you say? :smile:

That would be awesome!! :D

Alright then, I'll start working on it.
I might need a bit more time though. :D
Can I post the draft tomorrow?

I'm doing a bit of research btw.
It seems like a couple of months won't be enough to tackle
the whole history, since we're only doing a film a week,
and there's just so many groundbreaking films to consider.
But I'll try to compress it as much as I can. :smile:

As for resources, good thing that many films from the silent era
are already in public domain. A lot of them are on YouTube.
Well, even the newer ones are available on diff. video sites actually.
That's if you're not very particular with legalities.
I guess it's okay, since we'll use them for educational purposes(?)

EDIT: Oh, it'd be better if you do your own research today as well.
Or at least have some preliminary choices on what you want to see.
So we could agree more quickly on filling up the outline.

Last edited:
I might be interested, but my taste in film is particular.

Whenever I'm part of a society that discusses such things, I always seem to be the one in opposition to the majority. It's not that I have better taste than everyone else, but more that I prefer something be badly made and interesting than well crafted with no new ideas.

I'm going to go with artisan on this one and wait to see the direction of the club.

Alright then, I'll start working on it.
I might need a bit more time though. :D
Can I post the draft tomorrow?

I'm doing a bit of research btw.
It seems like a couple of months won't be enough to tackle
the whole history, since we're only doing a film a week,
and there's just so many groundbreaking films to consider.
But I'll try to compress it as much as I can. :smile:

As for resources, good thing that many films from the silent era
are already in public domain. A lot of them are on YouTube.
Well, even the newer ones are available on diff. video sites actually.
That's if you're not very particular with legalities.
I guess it's okay, since we'll use them for educational purposes(?)

EDIT: Oh, it'd be better if you do your own research today as well.
Or at least have some preliminary choices on what you want to see.
So we could agree more quickly on filling up the outline.

Personally I would love to revisit Chaplin's City Lights at some point, if we're going by eras :)

I too have a particular taste in films, and my choices have nothing to do with how well-crafted a film is.
That's why I joined actually. It would be a challenge to judge films in a more technical way,
and see them more for the process and not just for the product, and how it personally affects me.

So please feel free to share some insights, [MENTION=5667]Jacobi[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION],
even when you're yet uncertain about the group. I'm sure any input would be much appreciated.

And [MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION], sure! Of course we couldn't go without Chaplin. :smile:

Eras and the development of camera techniques/special effects could be another way to go. We could start off with some of D.W. Griffith's films, like The Birth of a Nation from 1915. It brought film as an art form to the masses, and advanced the way films looked tremendously.

Another film that I love is 1905's Le Voyage Dans La Lune, which is only 15 minutes long, and public domain! It's sweet, creative and full of heart! It's one of the first films that had an artistic "statement". Before it, films were mostly cheap and for the "working masses". Radio was seen as the smart media.

If you want to see Voyage, here is an amazing newly restored edition with an original soundtrack by the French band Air! You want to see it ;-)

[video=vimeo;39275260]https://vimeo.com/39275260[/video]

New Hollywood could be cool. The new filmmakers after the first mavericks of American cinema. Often very political and opinionated, there's a lot of great stuff there!

Hey! I found where you posted that video at. :m171: