Partner to watch movie / read books

SarahBS

Permanent Fixture
Apr 10, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
I really love to start a group and discuss the history of literature or Movies

If literature, we could start reading books together and discuss them here
If movie, we can learn about history of movies and all the stories + watching some and talking about them

Anyone in?

Last edited:
Reactions: Artisan
@SarahBS Sounds interesting. What type of movies and books do you like? :smile:

Reactions: SarahBS
[MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] that really doesn't matter.as we're going to experience a procedure of every genre since I (and hopefully you) will choose a path :) [MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] we're going to do some digging about all kinda genre and directors and history and watch the inspiring movies that changed the world one by one

I'm a book and movie book, so I'll try it :)

OK [MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] [MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] [MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION]
Where and when shall we start?

Can we have a group to talk? somewhere on Skype or Telegram?

I see... I'm really interested in filmmaking, so that sounds cool. Sure, maybe I can help with movie choices. :smile:
What about creating a group here? I'm okay with Skype too, so long as there's no video calls. :p

[MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] no video calls yet :D
a group here cannot be the one chatting and talking all day that's why I prefer Skype.
so [MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] [MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] [MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION] any plans to begin?

shall we start with movies?

I don't Skype. Never had a need to. Maybe we can request a Group Chat here. I've never tried Telegram, so I'll have to see what that's about.

You guys really scared me ...
OK anyway.
I have the plan of starting it this time tomorrow.I'll share everything and I introduce the movie if you agree ...

I'm open to any other suggestions to start it :)
Thank you guys to be with me on this journey :)

[MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] [MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] [MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION]
Hello guys

I've found this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_film

and as you can see there are thousand of movies there, so I thought we couldn't start watching them by year

I always wanted to just choose a director and go through all their movies and read critics and talk about them, then gradually we could get familiar with this art.

P.S: I'm not in a hurry.I wanna enjoy the procedure and it's ok it takes us a week of discussion to choose what to watch.

So do you agree with my idea? a movie a week?
any thing else? Please ^_^ :m111:

I always wanted to just choose a director and go through all their movies and read critics and talk about them, then gradually we could get familiar with this art.

That would be great!

I'm a hopeless film nerd as it is, but there's one quintessential director that I haven't gotten into yet - the 20th century Soviet filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky.

Ingmar Bergman is quoted to have said the following of Tarkovsky: "Tarkovsky for me is the greatest (director), the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream."

Countless directors have quoted him as one of their primary source of inspiration, and Lars Von Trier's masterpiece Antichrist was dedicated to him.

"Mirror" and "Stalker" are probably his most well-known films. They both place highly on the top of filmmaker polls of favorite movies of all time.

I completely understand if Tarkovsky is too heavy to get into. Other more recent, accessible suggestions that I have are:

- Michael Haneke so unique, so Austrian. His films usually satirize and draw out the audience emotions in a very visceral way. "Funny Games" in particular!
- Lars Von Trier. He's one of my favorite current filmmakers. Any movie of his would be worth discussing, but I have special affection for "Europa" (thriller/drama), "The Idiots" (dark humor) and "Breaking the Waves" (drama).
- Vincent Gallo. Gallo is the name that film hipsters love to pull out of their hats when they want to feel superior to other nerds. His movies are very stylized and provocative, and some are definitely more watchable than others. I would suggest we watch "The Brown Bunny". It's known for it's real sex scene at the end, and it's crudeness. It was very controversial when it came out, needless to say. Maybe especially because he was involved in the sex act? I think yes. Gallo is cool, though. Don't get me wrong.
- Charlie Kaufman. I don't know what it is about Charlie Kaufman that is so awesome. Maybe it is his mixture of whimsy, neurosis and philosophy? His popular break-through was "Being John Malkovich" and he grew even more influential with his great film "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". We could watch those, or watch some of his more obscure but (in my opinion) greater films. I love "Adaptation" (dark comedy) and "Synecdoche, New York" (meta-drama), for instance. Those are definitely worth seeing and discussing! ... Oh! Roger Ebert called Synecdoche the best film of the 00s! That's something. I don't necessarily agree, but it is wonderful.
- Paul Thomas Anderson. What a polarizing guy, he is! Some call him "clever" as a derogatory thing, others worship his intricate plots. Sure, we could watch "Boogie Nights" or "There Will Be Blood" or we could watch his acclaimed and awesome film "Magnolia" or the great "The Master"? You decide!

Those are my initial suggestions - let me know if you hate them all, or want to go in a completely different direction. I'm fine with it, either way! :)

So do you agree with my idea? a movie a week?

A movie a week sounds good! Not too ambitious, not too slack.

I like the idea of going by directors.
[MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] has great suggestions there. Let's do all of them!
Can we also add Darren Aronofsky and David Fincher to that list? :D

Are we gonna choose a random director,
or can we go at least by era, to be a bit more organized?
By decade or two perharps, then choose prominent directors
or maybe the trailblazers during those periods.

For example if you're interested with starting from the silent era,
we can try Frank Borzage, or Josef von Sternberg.

And if I may add a few more suggestions from the earlier periods:

- John Ford, Orson Welles, Akira Kurosawa
- Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman (can we do him before Tarkovsky? :smile:)
- Luis Bunuel, Stanley Kubrick

Also, can we consider Asian directors some time,
like Mani Ratnam, Satyajit Ray, Hirokazu Koreeda, and Kim Ki-duk?

(Sorry the list got long. Didn't even include some personal faves. :lol:)

oh God , please don't take these friends from me. [MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] [MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION]
I'm so thrilled with your eagerness that I feel that I need to listen to what you say step by step in order not to lose you guys:)

I just simply love you :m204:

Well my favorite directors are Nolan ( which I watched almost all of his works , Tarantino, oh the great Fincher ,Spielberg and some more.

ok.so [MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] , I don't know anything about eras :m190: could you elaborate please?

P.S: I was just telling a friend about this group and he said: lol, it's funny. films are for kids usually :m077:

Well my favorite directors are Nolan ( which I watched almost all of his works , Tarantino, oh the great Fincher ,Spielberg and some more.

Ah..very distinctive directors! You seem to like the 'strong,' kinda stylistic films.
My Hollywood favorites are Terrence Malick, Ang Lee, and Tim Burton.
But I dare not add them to the suggestions, cause it would feel weird analyzing them. :p

Regarding eras... I just thought since we're doing film history,
it would be nice to at least follow some chronological outline.
So if we're tackling some contemporary director, and find out who his/her influences are,
it would be easy for us to see why, and in what way does this influence materialize in his/her works.

So like I said, if you're interested in going way back from the beginning,
then maybe we could do the silent era as the first part.
Then follow it with the birth of 'talkies'.
Then there are some particular periods like
film noir, and rise of world cinema.
Those are all in the whole 'classical age' I think.
Then there's New Hollywood, which has distinct periods as well.
Like, the dawn of special effects, the rise in popularity of indies and docus, etc.
I'm not that much of a film nerd though. I need to do some research.
Or maybe [MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] could enlighten us more?

Reactions: j654dgj7
OH I forgot to add Tim Burton to the list
I like weird! We are all weird right? ;)
[MENTION=13909]Satori[/MENTION] this is like a very good plan.I'm very interested ^_^
[MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION] [MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION] [MENTION=13900]Breathlessangel[/MENTION] what do you guys think?

Can we also add Darren Aronofsky and David Fincher to that list? :D

Fantastic idea!! Amazing directors, as well! Requiem of a Dream by Aronofsky and Fight Club by Fincher would be great additions :D

Are we gonna choose a random director,
or can we go at least by era, to be a bit more organized?
By decade or two perharps, then choose prominent directors
or maybe the trailblazers during those periods.

For example if you're interested with starting from the silent era,
we can try Frank Borzage, or Josef von Sternberg.

That makes sense, that way we would get to get a perspective on the development of cinema through the ages :)

And if I may add a few more suggestions from the earlier periods:

- John Ford, Orson Welles, Akira Kurosawa
- Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman (can we do him before Tarkovsky? :smile:)
- Luis Bunuel, Stanley Kubrick

Yes, yes, yes and yes!
I love Bergman, Fellini and Orson Welles!! Have you seen Touch of Evil by Welles? Such a masterpiece!

Also, can we consider Asian directors some time,
like Mani Ratnam, Satyajit Ray, Hirokazu Koreeda, and Kim Ki-duk?

I would love to, I don't know any of those directors! :)

EDIT: Burton definitely has his moments :) "Ed Wood" is a masterpiece!

So like I said, if you're interested in going way back from the beginning,
then maybe we could do the silent era as the first part.
Then follow it with the birth of 'talkies'.
Then there are some particular periods like
film noir, and rise of world cinema.
Those are all in the whole 'classical age' I think.
Then there's New Hollywood, which has distinct periods as well.
Like, the dawn of special effects, the rise in popularity of indies and docus, etc.
I'm not that much of a film nerd though. I need to do some research.
Or maybe <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://www.infjs.com/member.php?u=5601" target="_blank">ezra</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> could enlighten us more?[/COLOR]

Eras and the development of camera techniques/special effects could be another way to go. We could start off with some of D.W. Griffith's films, like The Birth of a Nation from 1915. It brought film as an art form to the masses, and advanced the way films looked tremendously.

Another film that I love is 1905's Le Voyage Dans La Lune, which is only 15 minutes long, and public domain! It's sweet, creative and full of heart! It's one of the first films that had an artistic "statement". Before it, films were mostly cheap and for the "working masses". Radio was seen as the smart media.

If you want to see Voyage, here is an amazing newly restored edition with an original soundtrack by the French band Air! You want to see it ;-)

[video=vimeo;39275260]https://vimeo.com/39275260[/video]

New Hollywood could be cool. The new filmmakers after the first mavericks of American cinema. Often very political and opinionated, there's a lot of great stuff there!

Reactions: Satori
How about a partner to have sexual relations? Am I right?

I summon all my bros to gimme thumbs-up and hi5s... No?