Parental concern | INFJ Forum

Parental concern

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What do you believe is normal parental concern for a child?

How much concern is too much and how much is not enough?

Do you think your rights as a parent in raising your kids has increased or decreased because of changes to culture or modern society? How?

Depends on the circumstances?

Do you have anything specific in mind?

Depends on the circumstances?

Do you have anything specific in mind?

[MENTION=834]Dragon[/MENTION]

no, not really. Anyway you want to answer it is fine.

Obviously, rights have decreased. It is difficult to argue otherwise. I mean, parents used to be able to essentially abuse their children, and if you go far back enough in the right eras, they could even sell the children.

And I don't know what to say otherwise.

Depends on contex and age of child. I guess ideal would be care that it is not overprotective or nonprotective. For me ideal paren would be more back up adn motivator...

As a child, I was always obedient and independent at the same time, granting me a good bit of leeway. I was always viewed as the more mature child due to the circumstances of my brother's mental state. I was probably given more credit than I deserved at times, but live and learn.

I think that as long as it doesn't cause harm, my kid should be able to form opinions of most things out for him/herself (not everything, of course) as he/she gets older. There are certain values I couldn't help but try to instill in him/her (and I hope to be a good enough parent that my kid will look up to me like I looked up to my parents, so I wouldn't have to force anything), but with most things, I want my kid to discover the world and grow to be independent.

Of course, if my family's taught me one thing, it's that things don't go as planned once you start getting comfortable, so I'd have to see how it goes. Check this topic again in a decade or so and I'll have more :p

Reactions: Gaze
Normal Parental concern is wanting to know where your child is generally going to be/with who at a given time of day/evening. Making sure that they are getting their school work done and trying their best at whatever they do, and keeping them as healthy and happy as possible, motivating them to discover themselves.

Too much concern would be putting video cameras all over their room/and even in their car, and pretty much anything that constitutes as "spying", especially when they are a teenager+young adult. This will break their trust in you, essentially shows them that they don't trust them to make smart choices, and that will make it all the more harder for the parent to get the teen to listen. Trying to control your child's life also falls under this category. It's paradoxical that parents tell their kids to be independent, yet raise them to be otherwise.

Having not enough concern would be a parent not openly communicating with their child/teen, not motivating them in any way, not praising their achievements, not evaluating failed attempts,not caring if/when they leave and when/if they come home that night, not caring to know where they are at all. Pretty much this shows the child that the parent doesn't care, and that behavior could wash off onto the child in the future.

Parental rights have definitely decreased. When I was a child, if one did something wrong, they could be spanked and it was not considered abuse. Now a days, that is considered abuse, so parents give their kids "time-out", which for some doesn't even feel like a punishment, since they are in the comfort of their bedrooms full of electronics and games. It's no wonder the younger kids misbehave so much. I believe that a good spanking can build up a child's character, and I am not talking about those that leave marks on the child, just enough so the child get's the idea of "don't do that again"

Reactions: Gaze and Saru Inc
"Normal" depends on many factors...too many really. Each child is different, each parent is different. And "normal" is not always "typical." Ideally, parenting is very caring, nurturing, and flexible...it respects the child as a gift for all, not just for the parents. It guides in this spirit. Ideal parenting helps instill a sense of value and dignity. The level of concern and guidance flows out of this basic construct.

On one side it could be said there is never too much concern. It's expression, however, may need to vary and, over the span of childhood, is almost constantly variable. Kids are not a "little us" and so a great deal of inseeing must take place into the child's gifts and needs at the moment. For a parent, these two are in a productive kind of tension at all times.

Do you think your rights as a parent in raising your kids has increased or decreased because of changes to culture or modern society? How?
I'd say parents still retain most rights, but more systems are in place to protect children from less than an ideal situations. This can work with or against the desires of a parent, depending on who they are.

No parent is perfect and no child is either. Some kids get into trouble despite parental inputs, and some parents are ill-equipped themselves for the task. As a society, we try to build in safeguards to protect our young, but these can be flawed as well despite every good intention.

I think my parents were way to overprotective of me and my brother growing up. They always told me I would understand one day, but the older I get, the more I think they were out of their minds. In about the 3rd grade, they told me I could no longer go to friends' houses or have people over. This was due to a number of reasons, but mostly they were afraid they would get sued if some kid injured themselves on their property or I would get molested by a male family member at someone else's house. (WTF?) We were pretty much not allowed to go anywhere outside of school. Then when I was sixteen they finally allowed me to go to friend's houses, but only twice a month and I had to stay there. No going to the mall or movies, etc. At that point of course I would say I was going to a friend's house and lie about my whereabouts.

When I turned 18, all of the sudden I was let loose because they were no longer "legally responsible" for my behavior. There were no more rules. My brother always obeyed their rules, and I think this may have contributed to why he has no social skills and can't get along in the world and find a job...

"Normal", as has been stated, is relative. Some children garner more concern then others. But generally speaking I think normal parental concern is making sure your child has all the things they need to grow up happy AND become a well adjusted functioning adult. Obviously genes play a role in this also, as you can give them everything they need and they may still struggle. Mental disease and depression can be hereditary. But as parents we need to provide all the things needed without stifling the child.

Too much is when we stifle a child's development and character. When we put all our paranoia and fear onto them, and their actions in the world and limit what they are and what they do. Not enough is when we are lazy and allow them to make too many important decisions without the gift of our experience to guide them.

Decreased for certain. You cannot lay a hand on a kid now. They will report you to the school. I got my butt whipped when I needed it as a kid. I deserved it most of the time and I don't consider it abuse. Kids are more spoiled nowdays. We are softer as a society.

^^^

Reactions: jyrffw54
Normal concern, for me, is about anticipating any dangers (physically mentally socially) to a child and doing your best to keep your child protected. That's aside from loving your child and instilling values and preparing them for adulthood.

I think excessive concern can be disabling and stifling to a child. I have an ENFJ (go figure) friend who has a son and she puts extra effort into protecting and basically smothering her son. Her son has struggled in school for the last 3 years and he's a smart kid but gets confused quickly especially when turning in assignments. She spends about 2 hours a night drilling him (he's 10) on homework and preparing him for tests. I have seen her in tears she has been so frustrated with him. She is constantly in contact with his teachers and is usually griping about how they are not doing their job etc. I think she gave him some kind of complex in the whole process, on top of what his learning problems maybe, and he freezes up on tests and is frequently in tears about school or blaming teachers.

Normal concern, for me, is about anticipating any dangers (physically mentally socially) to a child and doing your best to keep your child protected. That's aside from loving your child and instilling values and preparing them for adulthood.

I think excessive concern can be disabling and stifling to a child. I have an ENFJ (go figure) friend who has a son and she puts extra effort into protecting and basically smothering her son. Her son has struggled in school for the last 3 years and he's a smart kid but gets confused quickly especially when turning in assignments. She spends about 2 hours a night drilling him (he's 10) on homework and preparing him for tests. I have seen her in tears she has been so frustrated with him. She is constantly in contact with his teachers and is usually griping about how they are not doing their job etc. I think she gave him some kind of complex in the whole process, on top of what his learning problems maybe, and he freezes up on tests and is frequently in tears about school or blaming teachers.

A perfect example of stifling a youngster. Some pressure is good. Reasonable expectations help nurture and grow. To much pressure on a young mind and they can crack.