Nutrition Professor loses weight on "twinkie" diet | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Nutrition Professor loses weight on "twinkie" diet

Weightloss is a very complex subject because there is so much that goes into it. The human body is a delicate machine, you can't just put any old thing into it and expect to work the way you want it to.

Here are the main problems I see with this diet,

1. Severe lack of protein - This is the biggy, protein makes a huge difference on what you lose, filling you up as it takes the longest to digest as well as promoting muscle growth and Fat Loss.
2. Severe lack of complex carbohydrates - A crucial element for energy, complex carbohydrates takes longer to digest in the body and releases energy slowly keeping your blood sugars in check and fueling you for longer.
3. Severe lack of minerals and vitamins.
4. Lack of fibre - Important for healthy digestion.
5. Lack of fats - Fats such as omega three is important for healthy brain function (which our professor here seems to be lacking) joint mobility and keeping your attires clean.

Anyone can lose weight from any diet that has less calories than your daily output, and not only from exercise but from just simply living.
However the question is, how long can anyone live on a diet like this before suffering from psychical and mental health problems?

You seem to be more hung up on his weight loss and forwent why he did this, what his diet entailed and seeing his metrics as to how they did not get worse by this diet.
A.) He did this as a teaching aide to his nutrition class and it went awry. He was expecting everything to go to hell and was supposed to only last a month
B) 2/3 of his diet was this junk food, the other was vegetables, a protein shake, and a mineral supplement. offsetting your concerns 1, 3, 4, and 5. As for 2 his blood work showed it was sustaining a healthy level with the simple sugars.

God, this guy is pumping himself so full of industrial chemicals, I'm surprised if he's not shaving years off his life faster than he's losing weight. Holy awful, batman

Reactions: Diana
First of all i would go into sugar shock on day one of this diet...

second of all it proves only what has been said all along, eat less (calories) lose weight. though the theory still doesnt work for everyone. I have been dieting for 8 years now and i cant lose a lb. Ive tried everything from eating those cardboard diet meals, to 1500 daily caloric intakes. I work out regularly, and am pretty active, but the weight will never shed.

im interested in what [MENTION=3156]Urtehnoes[/MENTION] said about eating fats till the cows come home, but sugars and you gain. I wonder if that is my issue as well.

im 30 with hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, and hormone issues. and nothing seems to work. Kudos to this Dr though! I would love to find my weight loss nitch!

First of all i would go into sugar shock on day one of this diet...

second of all it proves only what has been said all along, eat less (calories) lose weight. though the theory still doesnt work for everyone. I have been dieting for 8 years now and i cant lose a lb. Ive tried everything from eating those cardboard diet meals, to 1500 daily caloric intakes. I work out regularly, and am pretty active, but the weight will never shed.

im interested in what [MENTION=3156]Urtehnoes[/MENTION] said about eating fats till the cows come home, but sugars and you gain. I wonder if that is my issue as well.

im 30 with hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, and hormone issues. and nothing seems to work. Kudos to this Dr though! I would love to find my weight loss nitch!

I had difficulty at first, but I found once I cut out the high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenate _fill_in_the_blank_ oils, weight loss became easy (he says 100lbs later.) Granted, I've heard guys naturally have an easier time of it ANYWAYS, but seriously, see what's on the labels. Organic is more than just a fad, it's real food and costs less in the long run.. a lot less. (This advertisement was paid for by the ZERG.PAC) :m027:

I had difficulty at first, but I found once I cut out the high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenate _fill_in_the_blank_ oils, weight loss became easy (he says 100lbs later.) Granted, I've heard guys naturally have an easier time of it ANYWAYS, but seriously, see what's on the labels. Organic is more than just a fad, it's real food and costs less in the long run.. a lot less. (This advertisement was paid for by the ZERG.PAC) :m027:
How is it for losing weight when you already straddle the 25 BMI anyways?

How is it for losing weight when you already straddle the 25 BMI anyways?

Aside from trying to metabolize stored up HFCS that makes loss slow at first, it's more the narcotic effect the stuff has on you that makes it so incredibly easy to gain weight on the stuff... it's what my girlfriend calls 'more-ish.' But cutting it out, you can actually feel satisfied with what you do eat, not only in terms of portions, but how often you get hungry. Suddenly, limiting my caloric intake to (x = y - 500 (where y=maintenance)) wasn't hard at all, whereas before I always felt like I was starving.

Aside from trying to metabolize stored up HFCS that makes loss slow at first, it's more the narcotic effect the stuff has on you that makes it so incredibly easy to gain weight on the stuff... it's what my girlfriend calls 'more-ish.' But cutting it out, you can actually feel satisfied with what you do eat, not only in terms of portions, but how often you get hungry. Suddenly, limiting my caloric intake to (x = y - 500 (where y=maintenance)) wasn't hard at all, whereas before I always felt like I was starving.
Alright, but yeah, what I've checked so far (I'm in the UK btw, what likelihood is there of foods using HFCS here?) doesn't either say it has HCFS in it or it doesn't so I'm kinda of //shrug. I really ought to not ask about this anyways though, if there was some solution to my never feeling full if dieting I'd have found it by now.

Alright, but yeah, what I've checked so far (I'm in the UK btw, what likelihood is there of foods using HFCS here?) doesn't either say it has HCFS in it or it doesn't so I'm kinda of //shrug. I really ought to not ask about this anyways though, if there was some solution to my never feeling full if dieting I'd have found it by now.

HFCS certainly has that effect (not feeling satisfied.) I dunno about UK law when it comes to requiring labels, though... i'd guess, overall, you guys probably are less surrounded by it since you may or may not be subsidizing it's production like we do here in the states.

HFCS certainly has that effect (not feeling satisfied.) I dunno about UK law when it comes to requiring labels, though... i'd guess, overall, you guys probably are less surrounded by it since you may or may not be subsidizing it's production like we do here in the states.
Perhaps. I read the wiki on HFCS and apparently its referred to as glucose-fructose. I'm sure I saw that on candy I bought recently. Heh, too bad my life feels bleak without any sort of tasty sweetness in my life, even in mild forms, else I would be just fine not eating things with it.

Perhaps. I read the wiki on HFCS and apparently its referred to as glucose-fructose. I'm sure I saw that on candy I bought recently. Heh, too bad my life feels bleak without any sort of tasty sweetness in my life, even in mild forms, else I would be just fine not eating things with it.

Hmm... I certainly have not gone without sweets... I just made sure there wasn't anything evil on their labels or otherwise made them myself. I was kinda overjoyed to discover they've gone back to making candy corn with honey recently! (someone is taking the hint with all this increasing anti-hfcs awareness.)

Hmm... I certainly have not gone without sweets... I just made sure there wasn't anything evil on their labels or otherwise made them myself. I was kinda overjoyed to discover they've gone back to making candy corn with honey recently! (someone is taking the hint with all this increasing anti-hfcs awareness.)
yeah, that gives me hope that the US combined corp n' government isn't completely able to force you to take anything they force on you. Change can happen.
A note on my not being satisfied though, its doesn't take much food to suddenly make me feel full (then a few more minutes of waiting I feel overfull and sick) but then an hour later I feel hungry again. That's the real symptom description isn't it? I cook every meal I eat too, I just have juice or hot chocolate with it. Blarg.

Also I mentioned having to nix all sugar because I can't seem to get below BMI 25 with it in my life.

that's just gross...

yeah, that gives me hope that the US combined corp n' government isn't completely able to force you to take anything they force on you. Change can happen.
A note on my not being satisfied though, its doesn't take much food to suddenly make me feel full (then a few more minutes of waiting I feel overfull and sick) but then an hour later I feel hungry again. That's the real symptom description isn't it? I cook every meal I eat too, I just have juice or hot chocolate with it. Blarg.

Also I mentioned having to nix all sugar because I can't seem to get below BMI 25 with it in my life.

How far below 25 does anyone want or need to get, anyways? I do hear it's not the best measure in the universe, but hey. I'm closing in on 25 finally and will make no attempt to go below 23.5 I'd think. Sorry; anyhow, I do personally find that juice can't fit into my equations... I go with zero-cal only... water, tea, coffee... no soda or juice or milk (except in cooking, that is.) Well, okay... juice is had as a treat occasionally, but... rarely.

How far below 25 does anyone want or need to get, anyways? I do hear it's not the best measure in the universe, but hey. I'm closing in on 25 finally and will make no attempt to go below 23.5 I'd think. Sorry; anyhow, I do personally find that juice can't fit into my equations... I go with zero-cal only... water, tea, coffee... no soda or juice or milk (except in cooking, that is.) Well, okay... juice is had as a treat occasionally, but... rarely.
Oh, I'm trying to get 15 pounds below the 25BMI mark. Sort of an ideal weight but its not model thin. Trying to demolish a belly.

This is absolutely disgusting.

Ughhhh.

1st of all, BMI does not work for everyone. It simply does not. For instance, right now, my BMI is 28 but I only have 17% body fat currently, as shown through hydrostatic weighing (the most accurate form of body composition testing). That's on the low end of ideal for a woman.

The amount you weigh does not necessarily correlate to your body fat... and that is what BMI assumes.

Not very enlightening, considering that body weight is regulated over years not months, lets see him maintain it for 5 years then it'll be interesting.

Not very enlightening, considering that body weight is regulated over years not months, lets see him maintain it for 5 years then it'll be interesting.

Given the substances involved, let's see if he's even still kicking in 5 years.

They might be less than optimal but I seriously doubt they're lethal.