Kavalan

Has risen
Sep 16, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
1W9
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.
His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.
The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.
For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.
His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.
But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.
Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"
Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.
"I'm not geared to say this is a good thing to do," he said. "I'm stuck in the middle. I guess that's the frustrating part. I can't give a concrete answer. There's not enough information to do that."
Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.
Families who live in food deserts have limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, so they often rely on the kind of food Haub was eating.
"These foods are consumed by lots of people," he said. "It may be an issue of portion size and moderation rather than total removal. I just think it's unrealistic to expect people to totally drop these foods for vegetables and fruits. It may be healthy, but not realistic."
Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent. This posed the question: What matters more for weight loss, the quantity or quality of calories?
His success is probably a result of caloric reduction, said Dawn Jackson Blatner, a dietitian based in Atlanta, Georgia.
"It's a great reminder for weight loss that calories count," she said. "Is that the bottom line to being healthy? That's another story."
Blatner, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, said she's not surprised to hear Haub's health markers improved even when he loaded up on processed snack cakes.
Being overweight is the central problem that leads to complications like high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol, she said.
How well are you managing your diabetes?
"When you lose weight, regardless of how you're doing it -- even if it's with packaged foods, generally you will see these markers improve when weight loss has improved," she said.
Before jumping on the Ding Dong bandwagon, Blatner warned of health concerns.
"There are things we can't measure," said Blatner, questioning how the lack of fruits and vegetables could affect long-term health. "How much does that affect the risk for cancer? We can't measure how diet changes affect our health."
On August 25, Haub, 41, started his cake diet focusing on portion control.
"I'm eating to the point of need and pushing the plate or wrapper away," he said.
He intended the trial to last a month as a teaching tool for his class. As he lost weight, Haub continued the diet until he reached a normal body mass index.
Before his Twinkie diet, he tried to eat a healthy diet that included whole grains, dietary fiber, berries and bananas, vegetables and occasional treats like pizza.
"There seems to be a disconnect between eating healthy and being healthy," Haub said. "It may not be the same. I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much."
He maintained the same level of moderate physical activity as before going on the diet. (Haub does not have any ties to the snack cake companies.)
To avoid setting a bad example for his kids, Haub ate vegetables in front of his family. Away from the dinner table, he usually unwrapped his meals.
Study: U.S. obesity rate will hit 42 percent
Haub monitored his body composition, blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose, and updated his progress on his Facebook page, Professor Haub's diet experiment.
To curb calories, he avoided meat, whole grains and fruits. Once he started adding meat into the diet four weeks ago, his cholesterol level increased.
Haub plans to add about 300 calories to his daily intake now that he's done with the diet. But he's not ditching snack cakes altogether. Despite his weight loss, Haub feels ambivalence.
"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."
Interesting little tidbit. As he said he is still on that fence about it but he does bring up the question about portion control. This has been echoed comparing fast food circa 1960s to today and elsewhere(2 for one deals, bulk buying, etc)
Haub's sample day
Espresso, Double: 6 calories; 0 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Centrum Advanced Formula From A To Zinc: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Little Debbie Star Crunch: 150 calories; 6 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Diet Mountain Dew: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Doritos Cool Ranch: 75 calories; 4 grams of fat

Kellogg's Corn Pops: 220 calories; 0 grams of fat

whole milk: 150 calories; 8 grams of fat

baby carrots: 18 calories; 0 grams of fat

Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge: 270 calories; 14 grams of fat

Little Debbie Zebra Cake: 160 calories; 8 grams of fat

Muscle Milk Protein Shake: 240 calories; 9 grams of fat

Totals: 1,589 calories and 59 grams of fat

Thoughts?

I do have to say I would love to meet this professor and shake his hand

This is very interesting. It just goes to show you what can happen if you really set your mind to it.

Yeah, i heard about this on the news. I want to meet this man personally as well.

He makes a very good argument about portion control. I think that could actually be the key to eating healthy. I remember, as a child, when everything was a lot smaller: candy bars, drinks, fast food sizes, and many people were at most, a little overweight, but now today, some people i've seen are just grossly obese, and it's probably because everything is "king-sized" or "supersized".
Perhaps, we should revert back to our old ways.

Yeah, i heard about this on the news. I want to meet this man personally as well.

He makes a very good argument about portion control. I think that could actually be the key to eating healthy. I remember, as a child, when everything was a lot smaller: candy bars, drinks, fast food sizes, and many people were at most, a little overweight, but now today, some people i've seen are just grossly obese, and it's probably because everything is "king-sized" or "supersized".
Perhaps, we should revert back to our old ways.

True and there is another issue.

the idea that you have to eat everything on you plate. If I have kids I will not have them eat more than they feel they want to or can. Too many people focus on wasting food and often had their children eat even when they where nearing being full. This also ties into eating more quickly. For me at least we never talked at the table we ate we didn't have family time over dinner like many family's do. Just sharing my thoughts here.

True and there is another issue.

the idea that you have to eat everything on you plate. If I have kids I will not have them eat more than they feel they want to or can. Too many people focus on wasting food and often had their children eat even when they where nearing being full. This also ties into eating more quickly. For me at least we never talked at the table we ate we didn't have family time over dinner like many familys do. Just sharing my thoughts here.
Definitely something to factor in. Growing up, i was told to eat everything on my plate, but i could barely eat half of what my parents served me. Their solution? Letting us serve ourselves :)

Eating quickly also is bad when one is trying to feel full. Part of the reason that I get full a lot quicker than I used to is the fact that my family now likes to talk to me about school and such over dinner, we are all usually full about 1/2-3/4 of the way. I think that this would help the case, as well as using smaller dishes.

I grew up in a raw-food only family. This meant raw fruits and veggies only. I managed to get up to a 44 inch waist and weighed 215 pounds, which was horrible on my 5'4" frame, even though my rib cage is larger than average for that height. I was also missing my periods because my hormones were not functioning. I looked pregnant; what it was, apparently, was the starvation gut that you see on so many starving African children.

In January, I stared eating bacon, eggs, fried potatoes, whole milk, and other fatty foods- and this year I have dropped 55 pounds and 5 dress sizes, 10 inches off of my waist, most of it within four months. At 160 pounds, I am actually seeing my ribs now, so I'm not trying to lose any more.

I am convinced that different bodies respond differently to different dietary choices. For me, it was key to start eating fat. I am finally getting the periods that I never had, either.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Worst diet ever. Period. :m051:

I don't care how much he has lost, he is probably going to gain that all back plus more once he goes off the diet.

Last edited:
Worst diet ever. Period. :m051:

I don't care how much he has lost, he is probably going to gain that all back plus more once he goes off the diet.

I agree.
Man that diet would make me sooo sick. My tummy hurts just thinking about it.

More food for thought
His total cholesterol dropped from 214 to 184 mg/dL. A cholesterol level of 200 mg/dL or higher raises your risk for heart disease.

His LDL cholesterol, also known as “bad cholesterol” dropped from 153 to 123 mg/dL. A level less than 100 mg/dL is recommended.

His HDL cholesterol, also known as “good cholesterol” increased from 37 to 46 mg/dL. Levels less than 40 mg/dL increase risk of heart disease.

His triglycerides, which are chemical form of fat, dropped from 121 to 74 mg/dL. Having a level less than 150 mg/dL is normal

His glucose level dropped from 94 to 75 mg/dL. In general, up to 100 mg/dL is considered normal for a fasting blood glucose test. Diabetes is 126 mg/dL or higher.

His blood pressure split, going from 108/71 to 104/76. The recommended guideline is to be below 120/80. Having a blood pressure above that level is indicative of prehypertension.

Makes you wonder...

Last edited:
I would be freaking starving 24/7 on that diet.

not entirely sure why this is surprising, spend more calories then you take in, lose weight.

The weight isn't really surprising but rather the other parameters that changed favorably is.

The one thing (to be honest I didn't read the whole article... :( ) how does all that sugar play in? For example, with my genetics, I handle fat excellently, but have horrible sugar handling. (Diabetus in mai history :( But not in my future :) )

Like I could eat some really fatty food, and not gain weight. But drink a pepsi and gain 4 lbs.

The weight isn't really surprising but rather the other parameters that changed favorably is.

It does seem counter intuitive, and still probably isn't the healthiest or safest way to achieve the results. But with weight being such a big contributer to the other results it also makes sense.

I doubt that it would be efficient in the long run though.

Heh, I thought I saw a mention of how he was dealing with satisfying his hunger, but maybe he just meant eating till he was less than starving and stopping. Thats my issue, being hungry every second of the day isn't something I can stand. If I can't even top it off once in a day, I'll spend all of it miserable, and then be more likely to go insane and eat lots later. I guess he doesn't have that problem, but if it was so easy to eat less volume and stand being hungry, no one would be fat.

Weightloss is a very complex subject because there is so much that goes into it. The human body is a delicate machine, you can't just put any old thing into it and expect to work the way you want it to.

Here are the main problems I see with this diet,

1. Severe lack of protein - This is the biggy, protein makes a huge difference on what you lose, filling you up as it takes the longest to digest as well as promoting muscle growth and Fat Loss.
2. Severe lack of complex carbohydrates - A crucial element for energy, complex carbohydrates takes longer to digest in the body and releases energy slowly keeping your blood sugars in check and fueling you for longer.
3. Severe lack of minerals and vitamins.
4. Lack of fibre - Important for healthy digestion.
5. Lack of fats - Fats such as omega three is important for healthy brain function (which our professor here seems to be lacking) joint mobility and keeping your attires clean.

Anyone can lose weight from any diet that has less calories than your daily output, and not only from exercise but from just simply living.
However the question is, how long can anyone live on a diet like this before suffering from psychical and mental health problems?

This professor should not be teaching nutritional science. What is the world coming to these days?

Reactions: SamE
WTF is a twinkie?

Reactions: jyrffw54
WTF is a twinkie?

Its basically a frozen sponge cake filled with cream.

twinkie_070918_ms1.jpg

Last edited:
Also, its good to note that as a man, he has way more muscle than a woman, and 10 extra pounds of muscle burns 350-500 calories a day. So he was literally starving himself, while a woman my height (5'5.5") would actually not be reducing much on that diet. He gets more food-in-belly per weight loss than I could on that diet.

Its basically a frozen sponge cake filled with cream.

twinkie_070918_ms1.jpg

Okay, then whoever gave this "professor" his nutrition degree should be shot.