New Exotic Pet? | INFJ Forum

New Exotic Pet?

Daocon

Mar 10, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
type 9
Spring is here, and of course I'm going crazy over all the garden plans I've been coming up with all winter, Just like every other year. But unlike other years, I'm also having a bit of a pet thing. All of the sudden I want a pet scorpion, or sugar glider, or snake, or skunk. I've read about all of them at some point or another, and have found the all equally pleasing in one sense or another, but really I'm kinda lost as to which one to pursue, or even if I should pursue one. But anyway, I was curious as to what you people thought about such pets asthese and your opinions as to, if I do get one, which one and what kind? Are there other exotic pets I should consider?
Ceika-hand-81p.jpg

cute-sugar-glider-pa-1765262211.jpg
corn-snake-1600x398.jpg
jonathanfelgateqb8.jpg

Note: This is not me holding a skunk, it is a random picture I found on Google.

*squeals*

I have Sugar Gliders ^_^ they're the bestest.

They do require a lot of care though, and it's best to have two of them so they don't get lonely.

Sugar Gliders are AWESOME... but require a LOT of time and care. And always get two, they get lonely.

Do your research if you're thinking about them. They get neglected a lot, and die if they are lonely.

And make sure you have somewhere to keep them away from your sleeping area. They are noisy at night! They bark, and squeak.

I love snakes personally xD but I also love Sugar Gliders :)

Ditto. I've always wanted a snake. haha

Teehee. I find them fascinating. But then again, I find most things fascinating. :)

but, like CorLeonis says, research each one thoroughly before deciding which one to get. Animals need a lot of dedication and care, as they are beautiful things. So make sure you pay plenty of attention to which ever one you get and look after it well :)

Well, being a student and an athlete, I don't think I have time for a high maintenance pet, much less two of them. Thanks though!

Teehee. I find them fascinating. But then again, I find most things fascinating. :)

but, like CorLeonis says, research each one thoroughly before deciding which one to get. Animals need a lot of dedication and care, as they are beautiful things. So make sure you pay plenty of attention to which ever one you get and look after it well :)

Agreed. I love the feel of their muscles when they move... such strength!

There's an amazing albino python at our local zoo that I'm obsessed with. Not that I want a python.... but I still love it. haha

Well, being a student and an athlete, I don't think I have time for a high maintenance pet, much less two of them. Thanks though!

I'd definitely wait on the sugar gliders, then. They are very sensitive, and need a lot of time.

They are wonderful pets if you ever do have the time and patience, though!

Agreed. I love the feel of their muscles when they move... such strength!

There's an amazing albino python at our local zoo that I'm obsessed with. Not that I want a python.... but I still love it. haha

awwww yeah, there was a massive python at the local zoo near where I used to live, I loved it also! I wouldn't fancy one as a pet though... o.o

I'd definitely wait on the sugar gliders, then. They are very sensitive, and need a lot of time.

They are wonderful pets if you ever do have the time and patience, though!

And I also agree with this ;P If you arent ready or dedicated enough for animals, dont get them until you are ^_^

awwww yeah, there was a massive python at the local zoo near where I used to live, I loved it also! I wouldn't fancy one as a pet though... o.o

And I also agree with this ;P If you arent ready or dedicated enough for animals, dont get them until you are ^_^

I just keep being reminded of that lady... somewhere... that had a python. (I'm a little hazy on the details, if you couldn't tell!)

The python all of a sudden kept lying against the wall in a straight line, instead of curling up. The lady took it to the vet to find out what was up, and the vet told her it was trying to stretch out so it could eat her. :m200:

EEEK.

Snakes are kick ass. I wish I could have one here for a pet in New Zealand, but we have a no snake policy here for the protection of native bird life.

I just keep being reminded of that lady... somewhere... that had a python. (I'm a little hazy on the details, if you couldn't tell!)

The python all of a sudden kept lying against the wall in a straight line, instead of curling up. The lady took it to the vet to find out what was up, and the vet told her it was trying to stretch out so it could eat her. :m200:

EEEK.

omnomnom. haha xD

Oh lordy o.o that sounds petrifying D: It's a good job she took it to the vets before something serious happened o_O

This is the question of:

-how much time can you afford attending their needs?
-the price and shipment problems?
-will they be able to adapt to a new surroundings?
-do you like pets that are more of the kind you can watch and not pet, or do you want a pet you can actually pet?
-do you have access to a quality veterinarian care for them if needed?

Edit:
-also, what is the life span of the pet you would consider having?
-do you have the space he would require?
-do you have someone who can take care for your pet if you are not around for some reason?
-are there any laws where you live against having exotic pets?
-will they be a problem for your neighbours for whatever reason?

Personally, I like pets you can hold and pet, active pets, so scorpion and snake would be out of the question for me. I'd probably like to have some kind of a wild cat, or a koala or a kangaroo. Not all together at the same time obviously. :D And not where I live, the climate is all wrong for them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
Hmm, excellent questions, and very helpful. :) I have the space, and someone who will pet-sit, and though I prefer pets that I can hold, I think the low-maintenance nature of scorpions make it a worthwhile endeavor. And I can totally hold snakes. As for lifespan, I plan on getting as old of one as I can, so that it won't be a long-term commitment. That way I'll have a good trial period to really make sure it's what I want. I think, of the questions you posed, the veterinary services one is the only problem, and I haven't even started looking into that so there's plenty of potential for it be problematic, or exact opposite. I think I can safely rule out sugar gliders though, since I don't have that much time and my parents are convinced that they'll stink too much, and my mom is nigh horrified of the thought of a pet skunk. So It's between snake and scorpion. Or maybe one of those small dragons? Crested or bearded dragons, I think.

This is the question of:

-how much time can you afford attending their needs?
-the price and shipment problems?
-will they be able to adapt to a new surroundings?
-do you like pets that are more of the kind you can watch and not pet, or do you want a pet you can actually pet?
-do you have access to a quality veterinarian care for them if needed?

Edit:
-also, what is the life span of the pet you would consider having?
-do you have the space he would require?
-do you have someone who can take care for your pet if you are not around for some reason?
-are there any laws where you live against having exotic pets?
-will they be a problem for your neighbours for whatever reason?

Personally, I like pets you can hold and pet, active pets, so scorpion and snake would be out of the question for me. I'd probably like to have some kind of a wild cat, or a koala or a kangaroo. Not all together at the same time obviously. :D And not where I live, the climate is all wrong for them. :)

I want a white tiger with bright blue eyes.

and yes having a vet nearby is very important. i answer for this vet at my job, where they charge $55 for the dr. to even TALK to the patients. mind you that these are EXOTIC animals. kangaroos, wallabees, cabyburas etc. but regardless...

If I were to get an exotic/weird pet it would be some species of giant leech.

My only qualm would be whether I would abduct little animals to feed it occasionally - or whether I would allow it to parasitise me.

I don't know how you could want a Scorpion? Those guys have to many sharp or point things to use against you if they are pissed off or a having a bad day.

Corn snakes are beautiful and gentle, they're also easy to take care of. Just makes sure that the lid of the tank or pen is on tight.

Corn snakes are beautiful and gentle, they're also easy to take care of. Just makes sure that the lid of the tank or pen is on tight.
+1

If you are venturing into exotics and snakes interest you a corn snake would be perfect for a first snake.

I <3 snakes.