Myers-Brigg & Dating Profiles | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Myers-Brigg & Dating Profiles

I think we often over romanticize the idea of finding someone special when everybody within our vicinity is already special enough.
Finding people around you special does not mean there's a connection. I frequently find people lovely, but without reciprocity it's just me connecting with my own love of the world. If you're the only one working on the connection, nothing comes out of it. When there is mutuality, that truly is special. I've experienced it, but it's so rare that it very much seems possible that it'll never happen again to me.

Finding people around you special does not mean there's a connection. I frequently find people lovely, but without reciprocity it's just me connecting with my own love of the world. If you're the only one working on the connection, nothing comes out of it. When there is mutuality, that truly is special. I've experienced it, but it's so rare that it very much seems possible that it'll never happen again to me.
I understand what you mean. In my case I've stopped pining for what isn't accesible to me. We have to make lemons out of lemonades.

2016075326pope_francis_at_wyd.jpg

th

I'm all for MBTI tags on any profile, really.

I don't care if doing so lowers my chances of finding a match. Frankly, I don't want to date a sensor ever again.

I know that sometimes there is an ego, since the test is self-reported, therefore results can be far from accurate. But, at least prior to having a conversation with someone, I can have some idea as to whether they're a sensor or intuitive.

Many people are unaware of what MBTI is anyway. I've indicated on my profile before: MBTI - INFJ
Enneagram - 2w1

People just asks what it means. Then I have them take the test. Lmao.

I'm horrible.

But, yes please. I encourage listing MBTI types on profiles.

Yes, let it serve as a PSA.
Because I'm tired of the dead-stare when I talk about certain things.

I've only been with sensors for the last 12 years, and while I know they're not all the same, I'm tired of the differences in thinking and their lack of appreciation and/or understanding of my intuition.

If I think about MBTI too much, I start to prefer NFs. But then I remember that my most stable relationship was with an ISFP. We had similar values and similar habits, and without the intuitive maelstrom we didn't sink into drama. I think a sensor might balance me a bit, keep my feet on the ground, maybe even invite me to use my Se more, and I do feel an attraction toward the more artistic sensors.

That was just the one relationship though. But when we're talking about relationships, it's all anecdotes anyway. I'm still more likely to be in sync with an NF.

I'm with @BritNi. I include INFJ in my dating profiles and wish more people would include theirs. I don't have a ton of time to just keep rolling the dice. I want to do whatever I can (within the limits of the system, as long as I choose to play that game) to increase the odds that the person I match and meet with is going to be worth it.

I am quite enthusiastically open to I/E and P/J, but stroooooooongly prefer F over T (sort of a keep-mind-open-but-proceed-with-caution approach), and have zero interest in S.

I know myself well. I know how previous relationships have used up my capacity for certain personality traits and challenges (untreated depression, video games as self-medication, infidelity, narcissism...) I have also seen how my adult friendships have played out with various types or suspected types, and it's the NFs and NTs who make it to my inner circle. I guess this is one of the benefits of middle age -- years of experience to draw from. I'm done with casting a wide net (and trying to make anything work). Time to assert what I want and need. I know myself. As a grown-up I get to choose what my filters are, and MBTI is one of my filters.

Yes, this rules out the very tiny chance that somebody perfect for me might miss matching with me. "What's for ye won't go by ye," as the saying goes. I'd rather spend my time and energy on the most promising possibilities as I define it, than throw darts and spend way more time sifting through long-shot possibilities.

If that means going on fewer dates, I'm okay with that.

Sorry for the extended essay but here goes :)

What made you ask @Gaze?

Hey, sorry to answer this so late. I saw this article online and thought I'd share it because it was about MBTI. I thought the article was interesting because I've never before heard about MBTI included on dating profiles, but the article explored the pros and cons. I've not been on dating sites in years and will likely never try any dating site or app ever again, because as soon have said, it's a meat market and rarely have I ever felt that I would sell very well at auction. I think you have to create image of yourself that marketable (essential brand yourself) to be seen as an eligible candidate, then it becomes a competition, one I ain't winning so :D.

In terms of MBTI, I agree with I think it was @Ren who said that it can be a good conversation starter and have something to discuss since personality theory generally attracts people who like to discuss things such as psychology and communication. But as the article said, I think someone could easily see someone's type and assume they're not going to be a good match just because they have opposing letters, etc. (that's assuming the person is posting their actual type :D) or they could stereotype. So, you're seen as a type rather than as a person.

People aren't always aware nor do they always hold themselves accountable for their personal prejudices, and just do confirmation bias, so this is why I would be reluctant to post my type. Kinda why I don't think dating sites are right for everyone because besides personality type, people today look for a type of person or looking for someone to fit their ideals since there are so many choices, not to really to know who people are as they are on their own terms. Rather than being treated as individuals, someone is treated as just type to weed out who they think won't be a good match since there are so many options. Now, I'm not saying you should force yourself to engage with someone who really isn't a good fit, but I think you should let your personal engagement with them decide if they're a good match and not simply the four letters of a type they mention in a profile.

Yes, you will need compatibility and yes, deal breakers are important and valid but people can be overly judgy and selective sometimes, assuming they have someone figured out before they even get to know the person. We can also be extremely impatient if someone doesn't match what we want on face value. We may not be open to something different than what we are used to. However, people are more complicated than a personality profile description, dating profile description and a photo, so to judge someone entirely by pictures or words on a page is ridiculous. (Yes, I'm still a tad bitter about my experience on dating sites :D).

Another con of using personality typing is someone may use type similarity to be complacent. e.g. Someone thinking that if they choose someone who is the same type, since they will supposedly be similar enough and may understand each other better, that life will be easier and therefore better. This could mean that you choose someone who just validates you but may not push you to step outside your comfort zone and develop other aspects of your personality. This could ultimately limit personal growth especially if you're simply looking for confirmation of what you think or how you feel.

We don't always realize how limited our thinking may be because as long as how we feel is validated or reinforced by someone, we don't care. Even if it does a disservice to ourselves or others.

A classic example is how people see introverts. It annoys me when people see introverts as antisocial or meek because they're not overtly social all the time, or not immediately talkative in newer social situations, or perceiving introversion as shyness because you're not immediately talkative in a new group of people. On the other hand, people can use their introversion as an excuse not to develop social skills, and be more engaged. You can't forever or always be reserved or quiet in social situations, because people are not going to know how to relate to you if don't make the effort to engage. Introverts can sometimes make extroverts feel as if they're having to do all the "social" work. However, extroverts can sometimes always be on, and don't know how to value quieter moments, and don't know how to have balance in socialization.

Of course, you can meet someone who is similar in personality, who you like, feel comfortable with and clicks with you, but they may still not be the best person for you, and may not make you a better person. Yes, we all want to choose what we want in a person, but sometimes we don't choose what's best for us, or what we need in addition to what we want. People often want to choose someone who caters to how they feel and think rather than challenge false notions they have of themselves or the world. This is why the best person for us may not always be the obvious choice and it may not be someone we would choose for ourselves.

Good point. I said "if I tried internet dating", and a large part of why I wouldn't is that it would force me to turn myself into a commodity to be marketed. I don't want to see myself nor others that way, and yet enough people do see it like that to define how others must play the game. Maybe it's idealism, or maybe it's the fact that I don't believe I could present myself as a good match for anyone. It's easy to say I would hate to compete against others, but is it merely because I don't believe I have the resources to win?

Exactly the way I feel. Though I don't think it's that we don't have the resources but that these resources have to be displayed or presented in a particular manner to be seen as valuable. The idea that I should be a showpiece or dress femininely or "womanly" in order to be seen as attractive enough to draw someone's attention has always been a huge turnoff for me. This often makes me feel less valuable, and automatically less visible or invisible to people all together because I am not not marketing my body in a particular manner to be seen and noticed.

That's the thing. Are relationships about winning or just living and making the most out of it? I don't get the competition at all. I don't get the status quo.

x 1,000. Maybe I'm just being a jealous hater when I say this? :D But yeah, it seems being with someone today seems to be more about trophyism (.e.g I won the lottery because I got the hottest partner on my arm, they have a hot bod - work out a lot maybe has an 8-pack, and they're so smart and so successful, etc. ) or elitism (they must have the same higher social status, financial situation, and credentials) rather than meeting someone who yes, maybe they will have these things but you're with them because you like them, and enjoy spending time with them, and are with them because they will encourage you to be the best of who you are, not simply to be a "perfect" match for them.

For me, I want someone who I can laugh with, make fun of myself with, and doesn't need to be impressed all the time, and who doesn't need me to be perfect to think I'm cool. I know I will not find that anywhere online. Not dating irl is any better, but I'd rather meet someone on a whim or unexpectedly than go out there looking for someone. I think though that it's a very different world today than before, and some changes are good, and others make it harder to find someone to truly click with.

For me, I want someone who I can laugh with, make fun of myself with, and doesn't need to be impressed all the time, and who doesn't need me to be perfect to think I'm cool.
Danger. Friend zone alert.

(That would be the typical warning in dating rules these days)

Danger. Friend zone alert.

(That would be the typical warning in dating rules these days)

I was going to delete that part oddly enough. :D In any case, that's ridiculous. If you can't be yourself with a partner, enjoy laughing with them, and make fun of who you are, then no, you're not in a real relationship. Partly why I've never really dated. If I can't be honest with you as a potential partner then no, we shouldn't be friends much less in a relationship. I'm 40. Not into playing games or playing pretend. I'm not seeking someone to hookup with and to impress as I said. But if someone can't be a romantic partner and be someone I can be a complete person with, laugh with, enjoy talking about anything with, then that's just not the right person for me. If you don't like what you see, then girl, bye. :D And that's ok. I'm from an island culture too and one of the classic traits of being from this part of the world is if you can't handle people at their worst, then you don't deserve them at their best. I've had it with people who only want nice and sweet but don't actually respect your right to have a full and complete personality including your own feelings and views. So, yep. :)

I was going to delete that part oddly enough. :D In any case, that's ridiculous. If you can't be yourself with a partner, enjoy laughing with them, and make fun of who you are, then no, you're not in a real relationship. Partly why I've never really dated. If I can't be honest with you as a potential partner then no, we shouldn't be friends much less in a relationship. I'm 40. Not into playing games or playing pretend. I'm not seeking someone to hookup with and to impress as I said. But if someone can't be a romantic partner and be someone I can be a complete person with, laugh with, enjoy talking about anything with, then that's just not the right person for me. If you don't like what you see, then girl, bye. :D And that's ok. I'm from an island culture too and one of the classic traits of being from this part of the world is if you can't handle people at their worst, then you don't deserve them at their best. I've had it with people who only want nice and sweet but don't actually respect your right to have a full and complete personality including your own feelings and views. So, yep. :)
Ditto!!! In a way, this is how I gave up on dating as well. I'm happy with my friends. More than enough company. If love should come, then let it. If it won't then whatever.

it seems being with someone today seems to be more about trophyism
I don't think it's that bad, though where you live might be a factor here. I'd say the trophyism/elitism aspect is emphasized because of who's left in the dating pool at our age:

(Numbers are random, just illustrating the idea)
Take a hundred 40-year-old people
90 are in a relationship.
Of those, 10 treat their spouses as trophies.
Of the 10 singles, 8 are looking for trophies.
Of the 10 singles, 7 have serious issues (e.g. alcoholic, abusive, bitter)
Those 8 and 7 overlap in such a way that there's only 1 who doesn't belong in either group.
That person is our INFJ (because as we can see on this site, INFJs never have serious issues, they're pretty much perfect) :D
So only 18 people looking for trophies overall.

The point is that the vast majority of people I encounter who are in a relationship do have realistic expectations, though many seem to settle for the practical arrangement that's left when the initial sexual desire fades, without the desire or courage to seek a deep understanding of the other. So if you're dating, it looks like everyone's looking for trophies, though it may only be that the older you get, the more likely it is that others in the same situation are single for a very good reason, and it's not because they're picky. Of course everyone likes to tell themselves that it's a conscious choice: "I'm not an alcoholic, I don't see others as commodities, I'm just a bit picky because I know what I want". Also, I've encountered singles who've been alone for such a long time that they've become a bit difficult to deal with, having settled on their tracks without ever having to make compromises. That's sort of the flip side of the coin. It's not inevitable, but seems to become more likely with age, knowing what you want meaning that you aren't willing to make the kind of compromises that are necessary for a working relationship. The more settled you are in your ways, the more any kind of compromise feels like you must sacrifice your identity to be in a relationship, and that just doesn't feel worth it anymore. It does still happen, but at the very least it requires you to be open to the jolt of infatuation or the madness of overwhelming sexual desire that shakes the foundations you're standing on.

Maybe the trick is that you must find someone with whom compromises don't feel like compromises.

The question is also related to lists. Many singles have come up with a list of qualities they want in a partner, and the MBTI type can potentially be just another one of those tick boxes that prevents you from seeing the other person as they are. In reality, once you become infatuated, those lists cease to matter. But a list may very well stop that from happening. Such an approach may seem like a rational choice, but from what I can tell, people who use lists aren't particularly happier in their relationships. You can't control everything, take everything into account, not even be aware of your own impulses and unconscious motivations that make you prefer certain qualities. Yet, to a person making the list it seems entirely rational to say "I want someone who's 5 ft 8, who likes mushrooms and taking long walks in the landfill". The only way to make things work is to be open to one another and willing to accept each other's quirks. I'm afraid that people who make lists may be unyielding, or they might see people as collections of qualities, and if someone with a better collection comes along, then it's bye-bye.

We don't always realize how limited our thinking may be because as long as how we feel is validated or reinforced by someone, we don't care. Even if it does a disservice to ourselves or others.
This need for validation means that people even select abusive partners, because choosing someone who validates the negative self-perception somehow may feel like a safe option.