Music anybody?? | INFJ Forum

Music anybody??

Sep 2, 2008
MBTI
musicman587
I'm curious as to what people listen to. Now, I know people go through phases of different musical tastes, but what are YOU in to?

I tend to lean towards very melodic music and usually darker/deeper music; except for in the morning (gotta have some uppity tunes to wake up to).

All sorts, slight preference for punk/pop punk (not the cheesy kind), movie scores, don't like things that are too repetitive. I like things with celtic influences too.

Jazz, Sexy Hip Hop (craig david's rendevous, not that fat whores milkshake song), Stringed Classical, SickFuck Story Music (ICP)

*Moved from the relationships/interactions forum*

I tend to lean towards very melodic music and usually darker/deeper music; except for in the morning (gotta have some uppity tunes to wake up to).

Melodic and dark works for me and jumpy music in the morning is always best :thumb:

I love funky blues classics, big-over-the-top classical and opera and grungy alternative stuff but by far my favourite genre is heavy/dark rock with classical undertones, it’s gotta be epic :D

So Music Man what artists are you into?

metal (death, black, doom, thrash, progressive, jazz, gothic, sludge, post-metal, avant-garde)
classical (preferably dark)
jazz
different electronic-based music (mostly just industrial, ambient, dark ambient, noise)
rock (post-rock, depressive rock, math rock, progressive rock....I hate mainstream rock, though)
other experimental stuff

Basically, I listen to a lot of music most people either don't know about or misunderstand due to its extreme/unorthodox nature.

Metal ---> Rammstein Sonata Arctica Nightwish Therion Dragon Force
I like rock and some classic rock.
I love Chopin.
Dropkick Murphys, some movie scores, celtic and some other world music And one--> Which is kinda technoish. they are a German band. Dream Theater has some good stuff.

Reactions: Quinlan
Yeah I wanted to see them in Boston but my family didnt want to go. They hate my music.

That sucks, Dropkick murphys in Boston would be ultimate! Was it one of their St Paddys day shows?

No it was during summer of 06. They were doing a show in Boston I think and we were in Maine for a couple weeks. We visit relatives in Mass though and sometimes go to Boston.

I'm generally bad at figuring out the genres of what I listen to. Basically, it's whatever I like. Recently I've been listening to a lot of mellower music. I love lyrics that have a poetic feel to them.

I listen to everything...and I do mean everything, if it produces any type of noise, I'll at least give it a decent chance to grow on me. I would list examples, but there's just too many...

I will give anything a chance as well and I can enjoy just about anything depending on my mood.

That being said, I'm a huge viking metal fan. Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Folkearth ect.

Also I like any melodic metal and pretty much all the dark melodic music out there. That seems to be a trend... hmm.

I'm a punk at heart and love all punk music. Real punk music. And I do consider Green Day real punk, which is my favorite band of all time. Been a fan since I was eight.

It's easier to list what I'm not into:
bluegrass
new country (after 2000)
screamo - most emo
metal with no melody (meshuggah is the only exception, of course)
ridiculous crap like "space people" ....google it

Everything else I pretty much love if I'm in the right mood.

Last edited:
um...pretty much all metal that exists uses some form of melody and harmonization. Just because they do not always use commonly used melodies/scales/intervals/etc. doesn't mean that it's not melodic.

I have over 5,000 albums...Yes, albums, not songs. So I enjoy music quite a bit. Here is a list of some of my favorite genres/sub-genres:

Ambient, Funeral Doom, Dream House, Progressive Trance, 1990s Rap, Euro House, Post Rock, Post Modern/Romantic Classical, 1980s Progressive J-Pop/Rock, Drone Metal, Neo-Folk, Dark/Progressive Metal, Indie Rock.

Rock and basically all subgroups incl. metal, emo, grunge, alternative, etc., Techno, Dance, Electronica, New Age, Pop, Jazz, Classical, Show Tunes, Cabaret, Ragtime, Europop, etc.

A few starter bands: Evanescence, Disturbed, Godsmack, Nirvana, Dresden Dolls, Daft Punk, Cirque du Soleil, HelloGoodbye, Mindless Self Indulgence, Gorillaz, Lyell Lovett, Panic! At the Disco, Ludo, Blue Man Group, Linkin Park, Kelly Clarkson, Queen, Queen of the Stone Age, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. etc. etc...

um...pretty much all metal that exists uses some form of melody and harmonization. Just because they do not always use commonly used melodies/scales/intervals/etc. doesn't mean that it's not melodic.

melodic metal is a sub-genre.

*face-palm*

Music is huge in our family, and I've been exposed to a great variety of music since birth. My husband is a certifiable audiophile, so we've got good gear, too.

Listening? Depends on my mood. If I need some positive energy to get things done around the house, Afro Celt Sound System is usually my first choice. If I want to feel like it feels in late spring when you open the window for a fresh breeze, I'll put on Rebecca Pidgeon or Eddie Harris. If I'm feeling introspective, maybe Phoebe Snow or Neil Young or Dave Matthews Band. I've got tons of stuff for when I'm feeling morose or angry but I don't listen to it as much as I did in my teens and 20's.

I love acoustic artists (your Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Carole King types), Multi-cultural rock (especially celtic/african fusion), Jazz, Grunge, Classic & Southern Rock (i.e. Allman Brothers but not country), Bluegrass, moody classical (i.e. Baroque), and a whole bunch of others I'm not sure how to classify as a genre.

The last "new" band that excited me was Gorillaz. I don't really listen to the radio anymore.

I also collect different covers of individual songs. I've got 4 different covers of both "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith, and "A Man of Constant Sorrow" a traditional American folk song. And about 8 of a traditional Irish folk song called "She Moved Through The Fair".

I could go on and on, so I'll stop here.